Home improvement (5 Viewers)

So a success, although both my approach and tooling could do with some refinement. Got it to a reasonably even 3-3.5mm, and tidied up nicely with some passes from a block plane on a low setting. Definitely be easier if using a wider bit for the final passes on each side
IMG_7421.jpeg
Here it is against an off cut from the board it came from.

IMG_7420.jpeg

Finally I cut a shits and giggles channel off a roughly finished piece of pine board which was the bottom of the gramaphone. My nose told me instantly we were dealing with spruce, as you’d guess from the tight even grain. And a nice Edwardian cabinet maker has even gone to the trouble of jointing the pieces together, so that’s a potential top for a mando or similar if I can successfully thin it down. IMG_7423.jpeg

That piece very neatly ended up in the bin as I saw no use for it.
Never throw anything out

I got a broken cooler box off adverts for a tenner.
my theory being either i can fix it or it's still a really well insulated box and it'll do for lugging cans about the place now and again.

anywhoo I went CSI on it this evening.

the whole thing is a 12v fan, a peltier module with a heat sink either side and a little almost analog logic board.

The fan is working fine of 12v and i'm kinda assuming the module is working fine because they supposedly do.

The logic board isn't really doing fuck all, though the relay can be activated with jumpers.

I see three options.
A: Just stick a switch on it so it's either fans+module or dead.
B: build a new logic board with some arduino leftovers so it self regulates (this is kinda what it is already)
C: try and find the logic board on ebay.

Typing them out is making me biased towards A.

I was gonna go on ebay to get a switch but today was also the day i was clearing out another space where my arduino stuff was.
So an arduino nano spec sheet says it'll run on 12v, I have a few temp sensors in the box and a dual relay breakout.
So looking at an upgrade / sidegrade to this cooler box now. FSAI are talking about 0-5 degrees, and some beer website is saying about 4 for beers, so 4 degrees target...

If I fail i can always put a dumb switch on it like. Or no switch.

I was gonna go on ebay to get a switch but today was also the day i was clearing out another space where my arduino stuff was.
So an arduino nano spec sheet says it'll run on 12v, I have a few temp sensors in the box and a dual relay breakout.
So looking at an upgrade / sidegrade to this cooler box now. FSAI are talking about 0-5 degrees, and some beer website is saying about 4 for beers, so 4 degrees target...

If I fail i can always put a dumb switch on it like. Or no switch.

Now i've read that if you reverse polarity on a peltier module it acts a heater (food warmer keeping device in this case) which is interesting to me in that all the parts for it to be a food warmer are on board, just you have to give them a pile more money for them to put a switch in there. Interesting.

Anywhooo I was looking at logic trees and what not and i've an idea how i'd like it to run, but also i have crap to do so i might wire it up without a switch for the coming week and do the programming on the side...

74362950556__EA7DA75C-2B2F-4F36-9DE8-F30E2D0F7115.jpeg

Finally got one room ready to be reused. Joists levelled. Extra sockets installed, insulation in. Floor down, planed/sanded where needed and varnished. Her work Desk n ting is going in tomorrow. Bit of a rug and that's it for a while.
Underlay and engineered floorlads are bought but on the longest finger.
2025/6 there'll be new insulated walls and new windows

I'm glad you had the stones to do this

View attachment 19004

What is your finish floor there and what are you using for skirting?

Hahahaha yeah she cleared the windowsill and left some stones from Rathmullan beach I picked up. I laughed.

4 coats of water based varnish.
Not going to bother with skirting until I take back the shitty plaster/whatever and box in the room insulation. The window wall is an external wall so have to step out the timber framing to let the stone 'breath'. The right is an adjoins one so most likely take it back and dry line it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back