hollow body guitars (1 Viewer)

Bluto

Website
www.ballroomofromance.com
been looking at buying a hollow-body guitar and have been looking at Ibanez, Gretsch and Yamaha.

Anyone out there any experiences or know some good sites where these type of guitars are reviewed?

pic_Gibson_Howard_Roberts_Fusion.jpg

buy this and you'll need not another guitar ever again

what make is that?

Gibson 335 is about the best electric guitar, ever. Take it from Chuck Berry.

Well, don't take his guitar, mind, just his advice. My advice. Oh fuck it.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I'd love a 335,the only thing is I would wreck it. I don't really need one either.
don't be silly, everyone needs a 335. Alvin Lee: need i say more?

right, that cuts it...saving up my pennies now.

I bought a cheapish one made by Shine (350eur on special). Its pretty good, sounds the business and stands up to a good batterin'. Gibsons are too fuckin expensive.

Lord Damian said:
don't be silly, everyone needs a 335. Alvin Lee: need i say more?

right, that cuts it...saving up my pennies now.

I really don't think I'd get a tour out of one. I'm not spending that much on something that would look about 50 years old and play like a piece of crap after two weeks.
It would be great to have one for playing at home though. Unfortunately I've played a real one,and now i'm spoiled. I couldn't play a copy.

I recently got a Washburn like this..
images

I love it- plays great, lovely sound when clean and distorted, all i need is a Stray Cats quiff and I'm ready to rock

But someone told me that hollow body guitars produce all sorts of feedback when played live and as a result they're a pain in the arse!
I can't believe this is the case as the'yve been used since the electric guitar was invented(?)

Has anyone had this problem with their hollow body guitar?

Flatmate has an aria hollow body that he's sorta hanging onto for a mate - i'd slacked off a bit on the guitar until i got me hands on the thing, what a fuckin sound!! Not plugged it in much mind, but for playing while online or watching the telly, it's fuckin deadly. Sounds unreal detuned aswell, dropped the whole thing two steps once and the sound was freakin sweet.

johnnystress said:
I recently got a Washburn like this..
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XQpf5D6wijkJ:http://images.misupply.com/products/originalrect/Washburn/HB30TSsupa.jpg

I love it- plays great, lovely sound when clean and distorted, all i need is a Stray Cats quiff and I'm ready to rock

But someone told me that hollow body guitars produce all sorts of feedback when played live and as a result they're a pain in the arse!
I can't believe this is the case as the'yve been used since the electric guitar was invented(?)

Has anyone had this problem with their hollow body guitar?
are you kidding?? yeah, they have a BIT of a problem with feedback...Ted Nugent used to be a master (well, probably still is to some degree) at using the feedback he got from his hollow-body. the sound produced by the amp gets in the guitar and bangs around there, resonating the fuck out of it. if the volume levels are kept low, of course, no problem...crank it up, however, and let the pigeons loose!

Lord Damian said:
are you kidding?? yeah, they have a BIT of a problem with feedback...Ted Nugent used to be a master (well, probably still is to some degree) at using the feedback he got from his hollow-body. the sound produced by the amp gets in the guitar and bangs around there, resonating the fuck out of it. if the volume levels are kept low, of course, no problem...crank it up, however, and let the pigeons loose!

ha- i can't tell if this is a good thing or not!Ted Nugent! Bit of a clown wha?

I don't recall Chet Atkins or Brian Setzer manically wrestling with the screaming noisebox their guitars have become when turned up:)Or Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly, B.B King etc etc

So I'm guessing it depends 1.how loud and 2. how much distortion you have on it?

I can picture the looks on the faces of my band as I strut on stage, my guitar squealing and sceeching...not good

johnnystress said:
ha- i can't tell if this is a good thing or not!Ted Nugent! Bit of a clown wha?

I don't recall Chet Atkins or Brian Setzer manically wrestling with the screaming noisebox their guitars have become when turned up:)Or Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly, B.B King etc etc

So I'm guessing it depends 1.how loud and 2. how much distortion you have on it?

I can picture the looks on the faces of my band as I strut on stage, my guitar squealing and sceeching...not good
well, yeah, the Nuge - a clown now, but back in his day he was quite the axsmith.
deffo depends on the loudness of the combo...a nice tube amp, like a Fender Bassman or Deville, with a good hollowbody, is a DEADLY combination - like, nothing will ever sound as good. ever. even if you kept the volume low and then added a distortion, it would sound mint, and the feedback would be non-existent. the thing is, obviously, keeping the volume low enough so that by the time the sound reaches the guitar it won't wreak havoc. your stance in relation to where your amp is is very important as well.

Cheers for that L.Damian

As for my stance I imagine it will be something like this..
brian_setzer.jpg

Rockin'. That Cat sure can play. And see??? SEE?!?!?! Fender amps. Not sure what kind, though (and GuitarGeek doesn't have anything on his rig as far as I can see). Trust me...save up the scratch and get a Fender HotRod DeVille. You'll never want for another amp, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back