Hey There!! (1 Viewer)

Liadain said:
i got an A in junior cert honours german, and five years later (and five minutes later, probably) all i can remember is the above enquiry as to how best to get to the train station, and the ever-handy "Ich habe Durchfall", which translates as "I have diahorrea".

oh and (strike up an oul tune there tadhg)
ich bin auslander und spreche nicht gut deutsch (NICHT GUT DEUTSCH!)
ich bin auslander und spreche nicht gut deutsch (NICHT GUT DEUTSCH!)
bitte langsam
bitte langsam
bitte sprechen sie doch langsam
ich bin auslander und spreche nicht gut deutsch!
Please tell me you went to St.Finians in Swords and were taught by an aul battleaxe by the name of Murphy...she used to stand at the top of the class with her hand down the front of her pants the dirty bitch...

"No its all right Miss, I won't need that homework back..." :eek:

sort of... if by 'swords' you mean 'west cork' and 'battleaxe' you mean 'long-suffering'... yeah...ok..no, i didn't.

therecklessone said:
Did Honours German with not a fucking clue what the language was about, other than to say "Wie komme Ich am besten zum Bahnof bitte?" and if the answer was "Gehen Sie gerade aus und nehmen Sie die erste strasse rechts" I was laughing.
yeah german was class, i was there twice on exchanges learned more bad irish from trying to hide what myself and the class mates were talking about... beidh us ag drinkáil san oíche what?

therecklessone said:
Please tell me you went to St.Finians in Swords and were taught by an aul battleaxe by the name of Murphy...she used to stand at the top of the class with her hand down the front of her pants the dirty bitch...
thats mad my german teacher did that too but she didnt teach in swords

Ah, the leaving. Got so stressed out I had a nosebleed all over the biology paper, and then they wouldn't give me a replacement workbook.

So I had to draw a neat red line around it and write "nosebleed" in the margin.

One of us said:
Ah, the leaving. Got so stressed out I had a nosebleed all over the biology paper, and then they wouldn't give me a replacement workbook.

So I had to draw a neat red line around it and write "nosebleed" in the margin.
That's awful!

The Leaving is evil. I'm always so grateful that we didn't have to do anything like that. Seeing third-level students come in, and having to help them un-learn the rote-memorisation method of exam-taking and essay-writing was almost depressing. So many of them had such interesting things to say, but the school system doesn't really encourage them to develop ways to say them.

I hear they're bringing in more continuous assessment and more student-centred learning stuff, which is great, and could totally change education at all levels. I hope it does.

It's long overdue. I mean, if a lot of the emphasis in school is on exam performance, how can you develop a love of learning unless you're at least pretty good at exams? Not everyone is. It's even more crap that kids go into their Leaving really believing that their entire futures are riding on these papers. And then, if you get a nosebleed, you can't even get a new answer book? That's just plain cruel.

jane said:
I hear they're bringing in more continuous assessment and more student-centred learning stuff, which is great, and could totally change education at all levels. I hope it does.
Continuous assessment = means having to study all the time and be under constant pressure

one exam at the end of the year = means a few weeks of cramming

give me the one exam option anytime

therecklessone said:
Did Honours German with not a fucking clue what the language was about, other than to say "Wie komme Ich am besten zum Bahnof bitte?" and if the answer was "Gehen Sie gerade aus und nehmen Sie die erste strasse rechts" I was laughing.

.|..| :) Yeah, and nominative, accusative, dative... did anyone actually know that shit? I just went with whatever sounded right - spent about an hour of the exam going das Schwimmenbad.... der Schwimmenbad.... what happens now if I put "um" in front of that - stupid language.

I remember a dude coming out of the Irish oral delighted that he'd been asked a question in the Modh Coniolach (I have no idea how thats spelt). His reply to asking what he would do if his shop was burgled was "Rith me amach an doras" - didn't have the heart to tell him.

egg_ said:
My Leaving was in 1989, first paper was Maths I think, which thoroughly depressed me - I was good at Maths, but kinda painted myself into a corner early on and got the fear and just made a shit of the paper.
Then it was grey and rainy when I went outside
:(
The rest of my leaving was ok - college exams were far, far worse
Did my first one in 1988. A month before my 17th birthday. Gah.

Then cos i was too young to sign on and had nothing else to do, I went back to my old school (rydell high! ringsend tech actually) for a year and repeated in 1989, so i spent most mornings between 88 & 89 sitting in ken blackmore's house round the corner from the school, listening to voivod and the like. sigh.

Then I sat around for a couple of weeks until my 18th birthday & signed on for the next 3 years or so. Amazing how far 44 quid a week could stretch back then.

Next episode: My life as a soldier of fortune.

spady said:
I remember a dude coming out of the Irish oral delighted that he'd been asked a question in the Modh Coniolach (I have no idea how thats spelt). His reply to asking what he would do if his shop was burgled was "Rith me amach an doras" - didn't have the heart to tell him.
Spell it? Nor me...:D

Anyway, that was the most insane form of Irish imaginable. A months worth of phlegm and speaking through your nose...rith(gh)noidh me...

Irish was deadly. Our first class after the Junior Cert consisted of our portly teacher telling us what the Honours paper was like.

End of class, "any questions?"

"Yeah miss, whats the Pass paper like?"

"Mr Farrell, if you mention the Pass paper in my class again your feet won't touch the floor!"

She got the message after I got 4 NGs in a row, the fat cow. :D

moc said:
thats mad my german teacher did that too but she didnt teach in swords
Sounds like its part of the job description then. Pity that foxy replacement we got for a week in our last year didn't try it then...

"Its all right miss, I'll lick those fingers clean for ya..."

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back