Heaven 17 (1 Viewer)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I've only recently discovered how deadly these are.

eh, so there you go.

other people like them right?

oh, and Cradle of Filth's
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
is hilarious

first album, Penthouse and Pavement, got LP of the year (1981) in Melody Maker.

It's fantastic. Even better than the Human League's Dare which was out around the same time. It was one of the earliest LPs I bought.

The follow-up, The Luxury Gap, saw the quality dip. Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry and Temptation were highlights though.

1984's How Men Are is a strange one. Non-descript brace of singles - Sunset Now and This Is Mine yet the album closes with Heaven 17's greatest ever song ...(And That's No Lie).

A song so good that it was released in five different 12" versions. Sleeve colour variants were the main difference bar one remix. I bought all of them.

After that moment of brilliance I knew that anything that followed would be an anti-climax so I stopped buying their records.

Really? Can't be many all-things-to-all-men crowdpleasers better than Dare. I'll check it out. The singer Glen something looked like Zorin from Zorin Enterprises fame a bit

Dare is good but it has a few weak points [Get Carter / Darkness / Do Or Die]. Penthouse is consistent the whole way.

There was also the spin-off group, British Electric Foundation (BEF)..there was one album with a whole host of guest singers on that I remember as being good, at the time .Can't remember the title though...
nlgbbbbth??

After that moment of brilliance I knew that anything that followed would be an anti-climax so I stopped buying their records.

hahahahaha, fucks sake

Dare is good but it has a few weak points [Get Carter / Darkness / Do Or Die]. Penthouse is consistent the whole way.

Do or Die and Darkness are great and isn't Get Carter just a short instrumental? I think I am the Law is a bit weak

anyway, I got the 2006 remaster of Penthouse and Pavement, I don't know if it's been remastered good or bad though
and I got the luxury gap on vinyl so I guess i'll check out that third album

nlgbbbblth;8957061984's How Men Are is a strange one. Non-descript brace of singles - Sunset Now and This Is Mine yet the album closes with Heaven 17's greatest ever song ...(And That's No Lie). A song so good that it was released in five different 12" versions. Sleeve colour variants were the main difference bar one remix. I bought all of them. [/QUOTE said:
Hahahaha me too!
For some reason I never bought any of their albums, but the 12" singles always got marked down quickly and I ended up with quite a few.

There was also the spin-off group, British Electric Foundation (BEF)..there was one album with a whole host of guest singers on that I remember as being good, at the time .Can't remember the title though...
nlgbbbbth??

Music of Quality and Distinction. A mixed bag.
Billy MacKenzie, Gary Glitter, Tina Turner...

Before that B.E.F. released Music For Listening To and Music For Stowaways.

hahahahaha, fucks sake

Do or Die and Darkness are great and isn't Get Carter just a short instrumental? I think I am the Law is a bit weak

anyway, I got the 2006 remaster of Penthouse and Pavement, I don't know if it's been remastered good or bad though
and I got the luxury gap on vinyl so I guess i'll check out that third album

I Am The Law isn't the best either. Seconds and Sound Of The Crowd are my favourites.

The Penthouse and Pavement remaster is quite good, done by Donal Whelan. Not excessively loud.
The 1997 Caroline CD of The Luxury Gap mucked around with channel reversals and sounded crap compared with the vinyl.

Music of Quality and Distinction. A mixed bag.
Billy MacKenzie, Gary Glitter, Tina Turner...

Before that B.E.F. released Music For Listening To and Music For Stowaways.

Champion. Thought you might know. My memory's shot to bits.
They say if you remember the 80's you weren't really there.....

Murphy isn't channeling his inner Glenn Gregory for the title track.

hello first post

Just listened to Penthouse and Pavement. Not feeling it at all bar some of the comfort food synth sounds. The singer still freaks me out too.

The liner notes are absurd! The phrase "incendiary slap bass" is used at one point...

Need another all-killa 80s pop album recommendation quick!

Remember when Glen Gregory fucked up a Noel Edmunds TV show attempt to break some sort of aviation record?

He was too tall to fit into the Red Arrows plane he was meant to pilot to France ...or something

Ruined everything

this many months on imho The Luxury Gap is a better album

I remember the first time I heard (we don't need this) Fascist Groove Thing

how we laughed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back