HDTV - what should I be looking for? (1 Viewer)

It Will Never Last

Wanna buy a HDTV jobbie but know absolutely nothing about them.

What's a good brand/model?

What res should I be looking for?

Connections and shit?

I unly want something relatively wee, 28" maybe.

I'm not an expert by any means, but are you looking for one with dvd/tv/gaming in mind...? All three?

All three I suppose.

I'm on Chorus so no HD channels to watch yet, but no harm in being prepared right? Did dib dib.

I'm getting a PS3 in a couple of weeks, that'll get most use I imagine.

Best ask Pete and Lefty about connections then. I think PS3 is HDMI? You might as well look out for a vga or dvi port too, if you wanna connect your pc to it and look at MS Word on a motherfuckin' huge screen.

Look up TVs on the old google that suit your price range and then try and find reviews of em with whatever is most important to you taken into account. My own TV is great for gaming and HD, but looks poor with a terrestrial aerial - but seeing as I very rarely use an aerial, I'm not bothered.

I personally prefer Sony or Samsung, you want it to be 1080p as well...
Also I know you think you want only 28" but bigger is always better and 32" should be your minimum.

Aye, go with a recognised brand, but honestly you should use google to look up the model number. Even the likes of Sony/Samsung/Philips etc have released duds in their time. I found a really nice TV that I was on the verge of buying, but after doing 10 mins research on the net, I found plenty of horror stories surrounding it. It apparently had a "bug" which couldn't be fixed. Not what you want when you're spending close to a grand.

Also another thing, alot of people go for the tvs that have the glass front (Panasonic Viera is one of the glass fronted tvs.) that do make the colours look more vibrant but are fucking lousy when the sun or light is on them, my Sony is a "matt" type front and the sun or light does not impede atall on the TV.

Not sure if you can get 1080p on anything smaller than 37" yet? Handy for the bluray movies on your ps3. 720p still looks great though.

For connectivity you want multiple HDMI (for ps3 + sky hd + xbox 360 options), vga or dvi (for pc), component, along with a regular scart or too.

A lot of LCDs have digital tuners which will be handy at some point down the line (although I think the dvb test is still on?), so that's worth looking out for.

Be very careful with model numbers - samsung for example have about 27 different models / ranges on the go at any given time. I've read horror stories of people who ordered an M87 series being given an inferior set courtesy of delivery man "error".

Their staff tend to be uneducated in many of their branches and if you need to get your TV fixed, welcome to a world of pain.

It's to be expected, I suppose. I mean are they supposed to be experts on everything from routers, to hd-tvs, to cameras, to toasters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back