Hayworth/Jane? Visa Question for the Americans in Ireland (1 Viewer)

Dromed

Website
Visit site
Not sure if this should be in Travel section instead but...
I've a question for the Amercian ladies (and gentlemen) living here...wondering can you help me with something? I'm trying to find out what the situation is for an American looking to stay here for a short period of time. I'm going out with an American guy that wants to come here for between 3-6 months.

I've been on the Dept. Foreign Affairs website and they say an American doesn't need a Visa to get into Ireland. But how long can you stay for a 'holiday' i.e not working here? From what I can see you can stay for up to 3 months as a tourist. But it says that applies to a visa-required person. I understand that to stay any longer than 3 months you must obtain what is known as “Permission to Remain” from the minister of justice. Did you have to do this? What did it involve?

THanks!

field4.jpg

I'm pretty sure as of Feb 07 an American aged between 18-65 can come here and work for four months & get their visa renewed thereafter.
Not sure if this should be in Travel section instead but...
I've a question for the Amercian ladies (and gentlemen) living here...wondering can you help me with something? I'm trying to find out what the situation is for an American looking to stay here for a short period of time. I'm going out with an American guy that wants to come here for between 3-6 months.

I've been on the Dept. Foreign Affairs website and they say an American doesn't need a Visa to get into Ireland. But how long can you stay for a 'holiday' i.e not working here? From what I can see you can stay for up to 3 months as a tourist. But it says that applies to a visa-required person. I understand that to stay any longer than 3 months you must obtain what is known as “Permission to Remain” from the minister of justice. Did you have to do this? What did it involve?

THanks!

couldn't he just fly to anywhere else in europe approaching the 3 month mark of being in ireland, come back, voila, visa renewed for another 3 months? That's what my jap friend used to do years ago, dunno if they've copped on.

Righty-oh. I think I can rattle this off in my sleep.

Your fella can stay for three months on a holiday stamp (with no job), but if he wants to stay longer, he does have to register with the GNIB and promise not to work. They don't always grant the permission, but if he can show he has the funds to support himself, health-insurance, and is 'of good character, it's probably doable. By 'sufficient funds', it has to be a few grand in the bank and/or proof that there is money going into his account regularly.

I think that, even if he's just going to have the three month holiday thing, if he's gonna stay that long, he should -- just in case -- bring proof that he has sufficient funds to support him while he's here, and a valid address where he plans to reside. AND proof of health insurance. They might not ask, but if they do for some reason ask to see his return ticket and they see it's booked for three months ahead, he can show that he's not trying to move here without a visa. I'd tell him not to bother showing any documents unless he's asked for them, but to be pretty forthcoming with "I am here to visit my lovely ladyfriend for a while, and as much as it will pain me to leave after three months, I'm aware that I'll have to."

The 18-65 visa/work thing that Mitchum is talking about is not entirely untrue, but isn't that straightforward. It applies to certain categories of employment, and it's very hard to organise this once you're here. There are two categories: 30-50k a year and 60k+ a year. Pretty much the only people who are allowed work permits for jobs that pay less than 30K a year are nurses, so that the goverment doesn't have to pay them a decent wage.

If you make 30-59K a year, you can work, you're tied to your employer for the first year, and then you can move jobs, but only within the approved category under which your permit was first issued, and it still has to make the salary minimum.

If you make 60K a year or more (regular salary, not including overtime, benefits or bonuses), you can bring your whole family, all of whom are given immediate residency, and they're all fast-tracked for permanent residency/naturalisation. The world is your oyster, and hoo-hoo-hooray for money.

I think there are special categories for Americans who want to work here for the summer or something, but they might have to be under a certain age to do it, and I'm not sure you can stay longer than three months even under that, so it might be no use to you.

The three-months-then-leave-and-come-back thing is a tricky one. According to some people, you can't do it twice in one year, others don't mind. The only problem is, if he gets waved through for a second three-month stint, the next time he comes back, he could get one of those people that thinks the 3 months is just a once-off and they could be funny about it.

You generally have to show, if not a return ticket when you arrive (no matter how long you're staying, although it's not always enforced) then an onward ticket out of Ireland.

What I would do is either ring (if you can get through) or drop in (by which I mean 'take a ticket and wait ages') to the GNIB and ask about the permission to remain thing. It's not that unheard of, but you'd just want to make sure it's possible. It's my understanding that it is doable, but it's one of those areas that is as grey as it is stark as a reminder that Ireland's immigration policy isn't very broad-ranging or comprehensive by any means.

If for some reason whatever avenue you choose involves going to the GNIB, it's best if you're with him so that they can see there is a human person who is actually his lady. It's also a good idea to be there at the airport, in case there's hassle. Not that you wouldn't be there to greet him in a passionate embrace, but yeah, for immigration, too.

If he just stays the 3 months, there's a 99.9% chance they'll say nothing at the immigration counter in the airport, but you never know. It depends who you get. When we came back through and I had to show them I was changing visa status to a holiday stamp but was engaged, he just looked at the form, looked at us, and said, "You're mad to marry an Irishman!" and then just stamped us through. (It was generally fine in immigration, it was the other paperwork, before you got to the Human With The Rubber Stamp, that was a headwreck/minefield/paininthearsehole.)

Also, tell him to fly directly into IReland and NOT through the UK. They are WAY more difficult in the UK.

That clear anything up for you?

Feel free to pick my brain on any of these things. I'd hate to see my terrifyingly detailed knowledge of immigration laws go to waste.

I'll see what else I can dig up to fill in the gaps for what's not readily accessible inside my brain.

My American girlfriend (who doesn't know about my Irish wife) is getting a student visa, the American version of the J-1, that entitles her to stay here and work for 4 months. It costs something like $600. I think she can also get a 6 month yokey for the UK including Norn Iron so she might get that too. I'm just not clear how long one can stay after the four month visa, can someone stay on a 3 month holiday visa and veg around etc?

Oh, and by the way, I *think* the lawyer who helped me with my paperwork originally came (from NY) under a permission to remain scheme because she was helping someone research a book. She had to show she was able to support herself while she was here and it was fine. But then, that was for research, and they're generally okay with researchers doing it.

But again, if he's looking for an extra month or two, there's a good chance it won't be a problem so long as he's able to show he's going to spend his Weak American Dollars here and not try to take home Precious Irish Euros to his Now Recessed Economy Where People Are Already Starting To Breed Children As A Food Source.

The other thing I forgot is probably not relevant, but under the permission to remain thing, he's not earning time towards residency. Same as with students, like -- I've been here yonks, but I've only earned 2 months toward residency over the last decade.

Does he have any Irish blood in him? A grandparent would get him citizenship. According to Bertie "anyone" can go to their TD with the details and get it fasttracked if the the person is entitled to it. Sure isn't the office around the corner from Leinster House? You don't even need to donate thousands to the party or nuthin'.

My American girlfriend (who doesn't know about my Irish wife) is getting a student visa, the American version of the J-1, that entitles her to stay here and work for 4 months. It costs something like $600. I think she can also get a 6 month yokey for the UK including Norn Iron so she might get that too. I'm just not clear how long one can stay after the four month visa, can someone stay on a 3 month holiday visa and veg around etc?

That's the thing I was thinking of.

Another sticky area for which there's no clear answer, or for which you'll get different answers. I think that legally you do revert to a holiday visa at the end, but I'm not sure if it's automatic, even though I reckon that would be one of those situations where they'd be sorta okay with letting people back in for the 3 months. When it comes to granting Americans an extra month or two, it's generally okay, but it depends whom you're dealing with.

Here's a conversation I overheard at the GNIB.

Fella With Endearing Southern Accent: Hi, I've been studying here, and my finish date here on my passport is in May, but I want to hang out and travel until June. Can I get an extension?

Fella behind the counter: Well, you're really meant to leave when your course is done. When is it done?

FWESA: [date redacted due to memory loss] I just want to travel around a little with my friends and see more of Ireland.

FBTC: Hmmmmm. Okay. [stamping noise.] Hey! Do you play football/ultimate frisbee? [can't remember which it was]

FWESA: Yeah! AWESOME! I love it.

FBTC: I'm in a league. You wanna join our team? We'll kick everyone's asses.

FWESA: Ok! That's cool.

FBTC and FWESA exchange phone numbers.

I have also, however, seen perfectly reasonable people turned away for nothing. It used to be a lot worse, now they have more dark people to pick on and generally, as I said, they are somewhat more lenient at the counters with Americans. In my case, the problem was getting the paperwork together and the inability to find a workable long-term solution.

Also, tell him to fly directly into IReland and NOT through the UK. They are WAY more difficult in the UK.

testify.

e.g. i was trying to renew my paddy passport recently. after taking time off work and going to the consulate for the form, buying photos, writing cheque for 58 beleedin quid I had to get the forms signed by a registered professional i.e. cops, bank manager, member of clergy, politician etc. I went to my own bank and the manager wouldn't sign it because "they are not allowed to now" ??? ok - I walked across town to the main police station and they wouldn't sign it because "they don't know me" ?????????? I rang the embassy in london and the only thing they said was " are you friends with a member of the clergy?" ???????? or "do you have an accountant".

Basically, none of the people listed as required signatories can actually sign the form unless they know you personally because these days everyone in this country is assumed to be a terrorist.

Oh yeah, crap, and sorry for going on here: If you guys have been together for a while, you might look into permission to remain on the basis of a long-term partnership. Only once have I come across a mention of this as something that exists in Ireland, so it could be misinformation.

I think it is more geared toward people who have been living together in another country, and so they might not be okay with it. It's worth checking out if showing evidence that you've been in a relationship for a while would get him an extra few months.

Again, he wouldn't be able to work, and he'd earn no time towards residency, but there are still those favour-white-rich-people-who-promise-only-to-give-us-money-and-never-ask-for-anything clauses that make it possible for high-fliers to have six-month coke binges in five-star hotels.

In which case, I'd go for the holiday extension option first because it's less hassle and if they're happy to give him an extra month just for flashing a bank statement, happy days. It's just that a friend of mine had trouble with this (although it was fine in the end, just a work-permit delay), so I'd have backup options.

testify.

e.g. i was trying to renew my paddy passport recently. after taking time off work and going to the consulate for the form, buying photos, writing cheque for 58 beleedin quid I had to get the forms signed by a registered professional i.e. cops, bank manager, member of clergy, politician etc. I went to my own bank and the manager wouldn't sign it because "they are not allowed to now" ??? ok - I walked across town to the main police station and they wouldn't sign it because "they don't know me" ?????????? I rang the embassy in london and the only thing they said was " are you friends with a member of the clergy?" ???????? or "do you have an accountant".

Basically, none of the people listed as required signatories can actually sign the form unless they know you personally because these days everyone in this country is assumed to be a terrorist.

Oh man, a friend of mine is moving to South Africa and had to get a thing from the Irish copshop about being 'of good character', which has to be signed by a member of a 'respected' profession. Since she's in advertising, I'm a journo, and my dude is a banker, she had to get her dentist to do it. Her dentist! I see the woman two or three times a week, but her dentist is more qualified to say she's a hoot and a great lass.

It's such a 19th-century hangover, those things, that division between 'respectable' employment and potential shitehawks.

I heard a story about an Italian who moved to Ireland in the late 19th century because he only had the fare to get from Abruzzo to Cork, not all the way to Amerikay where he wanted to be on its gold-plated shores. He had to walk to Dublin from Cork to register as an alien, and then he went to find work so he could get money for the transatlantic fare.

He ended up with a coalfired chip cart and then a chipshop on Pearse St, and he begat the baggachip and he begat the fried ray wing and he begat the battered sausage.

Oh yeah, and when I had to get my passport renewed in NY, my friend had to come from work on the other side of the city to 'identify' me because my passport was out of date and my birth cert didn't have a photo on it. She just had to sign somethign that said we'd known each other for a few years, and then it asked how we met, which was at a funeral. So we wrote it down. By then I'd been in the post office for about three hours, so everything that happened in there seemed to crack everyone up. Including when they had to reshoot my passport photo because I was wearing a headband in the first one, which is head-BANNED unless it's for religious reasons. "What about coiffurism!" I was like, NO WAY.

It's late.

Someone tell me to go to bed.

"Go to bed, Jane!"

Shut up.

What Jane said above sums it all up. Also remember to never overstay your stamp. My boyfriend did this at one stage and got major shit from the US immigration on the way out. Overall, it is possible (at least for americans) to keep extending their stay, but they will insist on health insurance and a means to support yourself (for most of his six years here, my boyfriend was not strictly supposed to be working, so we made sure that he always had a relatively up-to-date bank statement with some cash in it for times he was travelling out of the country).

Anyway, we've decided that we'd like to introduce even more immigration woes into our lives and try the same thing in America now. Anyone have any tips on picking up a US visa???

I'm a journo, and my dude is a banker, she had to get her dentist to do it. Her dentist! I see the woman two or three times a week, but her dentist is more qualified to say she's a hoot and a great lass.

oh yea. in between the cops telling me to piss off and ringing the embassy I rang my doctor's surgery (of nearly 2 years) to see if she could sign and was told by the receptionist that i would have to be registered at that surgery for more than 5 years before they could sign. NHS rules or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back