Haymarket Riot Mondya Night!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

hag said:
tell me more about promoting gigs...

I just did tell you on what, in my experience, works best down here.

Certainly if someone does the first three properly and there's still no-one at the show then what it says to me is that no-one was interested in seeing the act in question or that it fell on a bad night as Haymarket did, NOT that there was some freemasonary conspiracy against the gig being a success, that's just nonsense coming from someone looking for an excuse as to why their show didn't go so good.

There was another gig last weekend (i won't say which) for which i did the printing (20 a3 posters/5000 a6 flyers) and the gig was sold out. Simply because it was an act folk wanted to see and it was well promoted.

If a3 posters were the be all and end all there would have been no-one at the show as 20 posters wouldn't have been enough.

Jim A. Morrish said:
when someone goes on the record with this and name names I'd give it more credence. It's all very esy to talk about 'people have seen it happening' and 'shopkeepers' on an internet forum - personally i think it's baloney.
right, so you're calling me a liar. and other people who've had this happen to them in cork when they tried to promote gigs. it's just weird the way you're really defensive about this jim when you really should have no need to be. what's your reason for this again?

Jim A. Morrish said:
I just did tell you on what, in my experience, works best down here.

Certainly if someone does the first three properly and there's still no-one at the show then what it says to me is that no-one was interested in seeing the act in question or that it fell on a bad night as Haymarket did, NOT that there was some freemasonary conspiracy against the gig being a success, that's just nonsense coming from someone looking for an excuse as to why their show didn't go so good.

There was another gig last weekend (i won't say which) for which i did the printing (20 a3 posters/5000 a6 flyers) and the gig was sold out. Simply because it was an act folk wanted to see and it was well promoted.

If a3 posters were the be all and end all there would have been no-one at the show as 20 posters wouldn't have been enough.
do you do printing jim? you reckon if i get the printing done you think is correct that any gig i'd put on down there from now on would be a success? tell me more about promoting...

hag said:
right, so you're calling me a liar. and other people who've had this happen to them in cork when they tried to promote gigs. it's just weird the way you're really defensive about this jim when you really should have no need to be. what's your reason for this again?

my reason being, as I've said above, is that if crap like this is circulated through messageboards then it might prevent bands I want to see coming to cork which benefits no-one.

I print a fair chunk of the posters down here and the only place i consistently hear this nonsense is on thumped (I post on over 20 music messageboards as part of my job).

Jim A. Morrish said:
my reason being, as I've said above, is that if crap like this is circulated through messageboards then it might prevent bands I want to see coming to cork which benefits no-one.

I print a fair chunk of the posters down here and the only place i consistently hear this nonsense is on thumped (I post on over 20 music messageboards as part of my job).
BUT IT'S NOT NONSENSE!!! THE WAY YOU KEEP INSISTING IT IS IS REALLY FUCKING WEIRD, JIM!!!

hag said:
do you do printing jim? you reckon if i get the printing done you think is correct that any gig i'd put on down there from now on would be a success? tell me more about promoting...

you know full well I do printing as I've printed for you and roadrelish many times in the past so that's a pretty stoopid question.

No printing is any guarnatee of success, I'm telling you what, in my experience, maximises the CHANCES of success.

For example we make more from billboards than from other posters/flyers but I'm constantly telling people that I feel they just don't work down here as
(a) they're very expensive
(b) unless they're for a 'name' act then they just don't work.

as i wrote earlier, word of mouth is the best advertising anyone will ever have, I'm assuming whoever was runing the show (alan remorse?) told everyone that they thought might be interested, I saw posters up around town (two types, a split poster with rednex and a strip poster) and some of the local messageboards were posted on. The split poster was up a few weeks ago, the strip poster I only saw the last few days before the gig. Didn't see any flyers, no billboards (common sense there as they're so expensive)

The fact Haymarket riot was poorly attended was purely down to it being on a diabolical weekend with so much on, though no matter what weekend it was on it wouldn;'t have had a huge crowd anyways as 99.9% of people dont know who they are, my prediction was 50-60, alan said there was about 20 at the gig.

I can't ever recall a december weekend in cork where there was so much on that would appeal to essentially the same crowd of gig-goers (more or less):

edwyn collins (fri)
freak fm benefit (fri)
boa morte (sat)
rednecks/rest (sat)
sunburned hand of the man (sun)
haymarket riot (sun)
josh ritter (mon)

Jim A. Morrish said:
you know full well do printing as I've printed for you and roadrelish many time sin the past so that's a pretty stoopid question. No printing is any guarnatee of success, I'm telling you what, in my experience, maximises the CHANCES of success. For example we make more from billboards than from other posters/flyers but I'm constantly telling people that I feel they don;t work down here as
(a) they're very expensive
(b) unless they're for a 'name' act then they just don't work.

as i wrote earlier, word of mouth is the best advertising anyone will ever have, I'm assuming whoever was runing the show told everyone that they thought might be interested, I saw posters up around town (two types, a split poster with rednex and a strip poster) and some of the local messageboards were posted on. The split poster was up a few weeks ago, the strip poster I only saw the last few days before the gig. Didn't see any flyers, no billboards (common sense there as they're so expensive)

The fact Haymarket riot was poorly attended was down to it being on a diabolical weekend with so much on.

I can't ever recall a december weekend in cork where there was so much on that would appeal to essentially the same crowd of gig-goers (more or less):

edwyn collins (fri)
freak fm benefit (fri)
boa morte (sat)
rednecks/rest (sat)
sunburned hand of the man (sun)
haymarket riot (sun)
josh ritter (mon)
i think you missed my point. why are you insisting the taking down of posters doesn't happen when people know for sure that it does? i don't understand your logic. my friend saw this guy doing on two separate occasions. the same guy. it doesn't make sense for you to be disputing that! you've assumed some sort of defensive position with no apparent need to. bad things happen in cork, not all of them are your fault and i'm sure no one would expect you to make excuses for them.

hag said:
i think you missed my point. why are you insisting the taking down of posters doesn't happen when people know for sure that it does? i don't understand your logic. my friend saw this guy doing on two separate occasions. the same guy. it doesn't make sense for you to be disputing that! you've assumed some sort of defensive position with no apparent need to. bad things happen in cork, not all of them are your fault and i'm sure no one would expect you to make excuses for them.

I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said I feel it doesn't happen systematically as has been implied. If it did then I feel sure customers of mine and other folk i deal with who get posters done elsewhere would be constantly talking about it down here, that doesn't happen. I live down here and I know practically everyone involved in music/theatre/film/etc who do postering and the only place i read about this is here.

re. my 'defensive position' - for the third (and hopefully last) time i'm going to type in this thread that i feel if exagerated urban myths re. a poster bogeyman are circulated then the bands I want to see in cork might not come to cork. END OF FUCKING STORY!!!!

Jim A. Morrish said:
I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said I feel it doesn't happen systematically as has been implied. If it did then I feel sure customers of mine and other folk i deal with who get posters done elsewhere would be constantly talking about it down here, that doesn't happen. I live down here and I know practically everyone involved in music/theatre/film/etc who do postering and the only place i read about this is here.

re. my 'defensive position' - for the third (and hopefully last) time i'm going to type in this thread that i feel if exagerated urban myths re. a poster bogeyman are circulated then the bands I want to see in cork might not come to cork. END OF FUCKING STORY!!!!
right, and for my last time, there's a good few people who live in cork, play in bands and promote their own gigs who totally disagree with you!

"hey man, i heard there's a poster bogey man in cork... i'm scared, i don't wanna play there man." - true story, december 2004.

Wavioli said:
pretty good, if not my cup o' nails.

Those lads know how to rawk out.
yea, really enjoyed them.not quite as good as hoover last week in my opinion(despite the fact that we were playing ;) )

the show in cork was fucking LOUD. good sound though. loud and clear. shame there was no one there but as pointed out earlier, it was a busy assed weekend of gigs in cork last weekend. not all folk can afford to go out to more than one in a weekend. oh and ta to the lead singer from my remorse for the free cd too!

was the gig well attended in dublin? I was talking to one of the members of haymarket riot after the cork show and I was trying to reassure him that they'd probably get a better crowd in dublin. I hope I'm not a liar! :eek:

was the gig well attended in dublin? I was talking to one of the members of haymarket riot after the cork show and I was trying to reassure him that they'd probably get a better crowd in dublin. I hope I'm not a liar! :eek:[/QUOTE]
the crowd was by no means big but wasn't too bad. i always judge these things geeways but id say 40-50 people were there. haymarket riot were sporting not one but two members of check engine! that michiganfest dvd they were selling has some awesome stuff on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back