Having something nicked from you in a Restaurant (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Was in a Thai restaurant on Westmorland on Friday night with my sister. Midway through the main course, she realised that her handbag was gone... along with cash, cards, phone, keys, drivers licence, baby photos etc. It seems that somebody walked in off the street and swiped it, right from under our noses, without us seeing a thing! The couple beside us reckoned they saw something suspicious (a girl walking in and leaving after about 15 seconds) but didn't really cop it.

The restaurant didn't offer us much sympathy, never mind an apology or discount for the meal, which we had to pay in full, but abandon in order to go to the Guards. Is this normal procedure? Boo on this sort of thing :confused:

I had a bag nicked off a bus in 1995. Private operators. Bag held in the side compartment. Vanished between Thomastown and Carlow. Full of clothes and a couple of books. Refused to accept responsibility at first ['bags left at owners risk' bullshit] but we after a sustained period of pressure from my father and I, they paid out £300.

I had a bag nicked off a bus in 1995. Private operators. Bag held in the side compartment. Vanished between Thomastown and Carlow. Full of clothes and a couple of books. Refused to accept responsibility at first ['bags left at owners risk' bullshit] but we after a sustained period of pressure from my father and I, they paid out £300.

Nice one! Fair play. Sustained pressure!
I wasn't expecting the restaurant to take full responsibility or anything, but just a gesture in the form of a discount or something (seeing as we didn't get to finish our meal). They didn't even offer to call the Guards for us, even though the crime happened on their premises.

do they have CCTV footage?

I don't thing so, but the Guard said that there is some on the street and they'll check it out. He reckons that they will almost certainly recognise the person..

Avernus, thats funny, cause its the first thing that went through my head, when we were telling the Waitress!

A student of mine had her wallet nicked in the Ilac centre library the other week. Her and one of my other students were together, they reckon some young one followed them from the ATM (where they both took out their rent money) up the library and had her wallet out of her bag as quick as you like!They saw the CCTV but the cops said they have little chance of recoveing the money or her student visa which has probably been sold on by now to a non visa Asian student (my student is Korean). The cops told her it is becoming more and more common that people follow you from aTM's into pubs, restaurant etc!Did you go to a ATM first Jim?

A student of mine had her wallet nicked in the Ilac centre library the other week. Her and one of my other students were together, they reckon some young one followed them from the ATM (where they both took out their rent money) up the library and had her wallet out of her bag as quick as you like!They saw the CCTV but the cops said they have little chance of recoveing the money or her student visa which has probably been sold on by now to a non visa Asian student (my student is Korean). The cops told her it is becoming more and more common that people follow you from aTM's into pubs, restaurant etc!Did you go to a ATM first Jim?

Thats mad, but not this time CPR. But I was waiting at Trinity for a while, so could have been spotted and then followed to the restaurant. Its no biggie when you think of things that happen to other people. More head-wrecking than anything..

That's pretty poor form that they didn't even offer any sympathy. I think if you have to leave your meal because you've just been robbed in their restaurant, it's a bit twisted that they made you pay AND didn't offer to ring the guards.

If the gardai said they think they'd recognise the person, it means it's happened in there before, which means there's little chance the restaurant thought you were trying to scam them.

That's pretty fucked up about your lady's bag, though. I know you're keeping it in perspective and all because yeah, it could have been worse, but it's still very sucky and it still makes me really angry that the restaurant was so blasé about their customers being robbed.

Maybe it's a restaurant scam! Maybe their profits are down so they've started robbing bags and charging for meals on top of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back