harold pinter (3 Viewers)

Was Torvald played by Bosco Hogan? Thank fuck I left before he got the baldy lad out. I don't know how I'd react on seeing that and hearing the voice of Dunnes Stores.

Super Dexta said:
jaysus, it wasn't that bad, was it? you missed getting to see torvald in the nip in the second half. v hott.

Was Torvald played by Bosco Hogan? Thank fuck I left before he got the baldy lad out. I don't know how I'd react on seeing that and hearing the voice of Dunnes Stores.

Super Dexta said:
jaysus, it wasn't that bad, was it? you missed getting to see torvald in the nip in the second half. v hott.

"A Doll's House" at The Abbey

This is off-thread but I was asked for it…

The set was designed to look like a doll's house, as you might expect from a play called "A Doll's House". It had extremely high ceilings, doors and windows. But instead of adding, say, an environmental dimension to the intense stress under which the characters found themselves, it had the effect of dwarfing them and making their struggles seem comical. This did an already dated play no favours, of course, because Ibsen is to comedy what Al Qaeda is to fire safety.

The acting was cringe-inducing, giving it the feel of a student production. Bosco Hogan was by far the best, which is an indictment in itself. I don't remember who else was in it. I must have repressed all memory.

I complain about the acting but I should admit that my judgement is in part speculative. That's because the acoustics of The Abbey meant it was impossible to hear about 40% of the dialogue. In fairness, I thank the national theatre heartily for that. I wished they'd introduced fog into the air too - that way I would have been spared the sight of this unhappy production as well as the sound.

By the way, the amount of noise in the audience was stunning. At least three mobile phones went off. One woman cooed and burbled like a free-associating gnome every time a particular character so much as folded her arms. There was a general feeling of booze having been taken. It was too hot. There was tut-tutting and sighing, murmuring and snoring.

There also appeared to be a widespread attitude that what we were witnessing was not just a representation of real life but real life itself, and that the audience's failure to react to the various misdemeanours with the appropriate noises of disaproval would somehow reflect badly on us all. Maybe St. Peter would turn the audience away at the gates of Heaven or something.

Well, if Heaven is anything like The Abbey, I'll take my chances in the other place.

Super Dexta said:
tell us why you hated it so much though. gwan.

Re: "A Doll's House" at The Abbey

You're sure you didn't go to the Lambert Puppet Theatre by accident?

*fond memories of Professor Peabody

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back