Hal Hartley - No Such Thing (2002) (1 Viewer)

swingkid said:
hey
anybody ever seen it?
strange that it was never released here (or was it????)...
it's the only hal hartley film i've never seen...
sarah polley is in it too...
no, never did. It's really hard to get hold of his stuff, so much of it seems to be deleted.

actual i dont think i've seen surviving desire...
i've got nearly all of them on video if you want a loan

he's got a new one coming out soon called the girl from monday...

177862.jpg

hal & sarah

swingkid said:
actual i dont think i've seen surviving desire...
i've got nearly all of them on video if you want a loan

he's got a new one coming out soon called the girl from monday...

177862.jpg

hal & sarah
oh thank you, I might take you up on that. You may feel free to borrow from my extensive collection of 80's teen flix starring molly ringwald and SATC dvd's.

Haven't seen Surviving Desire either. Got the script though- its in (I think) the first edition of that Projections journal that John Boorman had going a while back.

Projections ruled.

kirstie said:
oh thank you, I might take you up on that. You may feel free to borrow from my extensive collection of 80's teen flix starring molly ringwald and SATC dvd's.

yeah, cool, just let me know which ones you want...

80's teen flix's eh?
you got VOYAGE OF THE ROCK ALIENS?

Synopsis
When a bunch of ‘rocking’ aliens land in Speelburgh, Dee Dee doesn’t know which guy she’s gonna pick : her former boyfriend Frankie, who doesn’t want her to sing with his band, or Absid, the leader of the aliens.

I meant "Surviving Desire". Haven't seen "No Such Thing" or any of his more recent ones. I lost interest after "Flirt", which felt like a contractual obligation or a film school exercise.

"Trust" and "The Unbelievable Truth" felt great at the time, but if I'd seen more of Robert Bresson's films, I doubt I'd have been so impressed. In retrospect I think Hartley was, like Woody Allen at times, a bit too in love with European cinema for his own good.

swingkid said:
No Such Thing or surviving desire?

Anne OMalley said:
In retrospect I think Hartley was, like Woody Allen at times, a bit too in love with European cinema for his own good.
Yeah... What they both need is a heafty dose of car chaces, big explosions, half naked tits... and less of all the talkin and shit...

I'd love it if Woody Allen made a film with no dialogue.

In about 5,000 years, human languages will have changed so much that will be impossible to distinguish what one character in a Woody Allen film is saying from what any of the others are saying. They'll all be saying the exact same thing.

I could tell you what that thing was if I didn't have to catch a bus right now.

Anne OMalley said:
I meant "Surviving Desire". Haven't seen "No Such Thing" or any of his more recent ones. I lost interest after "Flirt", which felt like a contractual obligation or a film school exercise.

"Trust" and "The Unbelievable Truth" felt great at the time, but if I'd seen more of Robert Bresson's films, I doubt I'd have been so impressed. In retrospect I think Hartley was, like Woody Allen at times, a bit too in love with European cinema for his own good.
i really liked henry fool when i saw it years ago.

his early stuff seems real stilted and flirt was just silly but pj harvey was in the book of life so mebbe its good and what of the film with sarah polley - any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back