guitar repair/refret recommendations (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
folks - have a guitar that needs love and attention beyond my ability to provide it.

specifically, after 12 years and a main instrument for 3 bands it needs some fretwork (second fret dead on the treble side). were it electrics or wookwork I'd tinker at it myself, but even I'm not stupid enough to attack a set neck hollowbody as a first fret-work project.

any suggestions (dublin)

I'd 100% recommend Nestor Guitars based in Harolds Cross.He reset the neck on both a mandolin and guitar for me,levelled and dressed the frets,did a perfect job.

Pm me for his number if you'd like

cool - would I be able to drop it in (ie is shop still open)or would I have to book?
any idea on the cost?

Open from today at 4 Dean Street. We have a bunch in but handiest to call in with it. Depends on what's needed, could be a fret level rather than refret so he'll need to assess it first.

Open from today at 4 Dean Street. We have a bunch in but handiest to call in with it. Depends on what's needed, could be a fret level rather than refret so he'll need to assess it first.

cool - theyre medium jumbos, without too much other wear, so it would be great it it was just a level required.

I bought a cheap second hand Squire Tele years ago and it has a few really worn frets. Too worn to play. I ended up giving the guitar to my niece. I asked her about it the other day. It's in the attic. She asked if I wanted it back.
Can frets be replaced individually or should I consider refretting the whole thing? Would like to mess about with it a bit too, pick ups etc but I had every intention of doing that with my offset tele but didn't.

I mean I took apart an plug board the other week with the intentions of fixing it. The whole thing went in the bin.

I bought a cheap second hand Squire Tele years ago and it has a few really worn frets. Too worn to play. I ended up giving the guitar to my niece. I asked her about it the other day. It's in the attic. She asked if I wanted it back.
Can frets be replaced individually or should I consider refretting the whole thing? Would like to mess about with it a bit too, pick ups etc but I had every intention of doing that with my offset tele but didn't.

I mean I took apart an plug board the other week with the intentions of fixing it. The whole thing went in the bin.

@GO did a diy re-fret I think

Depends on how low the other frets are but generally it's possible and pretty common on guitars where the player only plays the first five frets/open chords only.

@GO did a diy re-fret I think
Yeah, its not that hard on a rosewood fingerboard . Totes doable.

I barely had to even level the ones I did. Just tap down any high ones. Worked a treat

I think there was one I had to rub down with sandpaper a tiny bit

Depends on how low the other frets are but generally it's possible and pretty common on guitars where the player only plays the first five frets/open chords only.

yea the previous owner was that type of player from what I could tell (I haven't seen the thing in about 10years). I bought it from a Ham Sandwich guy, not the beardy one.

Yeah, its not that hard on a rosewood fingerboard . Totes doable.

I barely had to even level the ones I did. Just tap down any high ones. Worked a treat

I think there was one I had to rub down with sandpaper a tiny bit

I'm gonna try make a fret board from scratch for my next project - hope I have your luck (or skill at the tapping :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back