guitar nerd shit (1 Viewer)

damien

Since 2000
for the past while i have been a little under-satisfied with the distortion sound I am getting from my boss pedals through my all-tube Marshall head, its just too artificial and not as "full" sounding as it should be.. people say that I need pure tube distortion from the head but that isnt an option... so basically i'm looking for a tob quality distortion pedal that is going to sound good through the tubes..
i have been looking at an MXR doubleshot for a while but havent been able to try one out... plus i've read a few reviews hinting that they may provide the same tinny sound as my metalzone... now i've just heard that carl martin effects are the shit.. but they seem expensive and hard to find... anyone have any advice ?

damien said:
for the past while i have been a little under-satisfied with the distortion sound I am getting from my boss pedals through my all-tube Marshall head, its just too artificial and not as "full" sounding as it should be.. people say that I need pure tube distortion from the head but that isnt an option... so basically i'm looking for a tob quality distortion pedal that is going to sound good through the tubes..
i have been looking at an MXR doubleshot for a while but havent been able to try one out... plus i've read a few reviews hinting that they may provide the same tinny sound as my metalzone... now i've just heard that carl martin effects are the shit.. but they seem expensive and hard to find... anyone have any advice ?
you've changed man.

1950's said:
More and more bands seem to be using RAT distortion pedals these days. They seem to have a wider range of tone than the boss ones.
i agree.i love the rat pedals, they're neither too tinny or too messy, just right. metalzones are a waste of time as are overdrives.i used to have a boss but i prefered the distortion on my amp.the Rat is the best, if you ask me.

i aint sure dudes... these carl martin lads appear to be the shit. anyone ever used wan?

damien said:
i have been looking at an MXR doubleshot for a while but havent been able to try one out... plus i've read a few reviews hinting that they may provide the same tinny sound as my metalzone...
the metalzone is good for the bass...

i'd tell you about the mxr doubleshot but i've been waiting about a fucking month now to get the adaptor in for me. 18volts adaptors are a pain in the hole.
still saved 150 quid by gettin it from the states off ebay.

damien said:
i have been looking at an MXR doubleshot for a while but havent been able to try one out...

why isnt using your amp distortion an option? i havent found a distortion i like better than on my marshall head.
havent used the martin ones, but yeah the rat is good.. if a *bit* dirty... but if thats the sound you're after then ok. the ibanez tube screamer is ok, but might not be crunchy enough for ya, from what ive heard the marshall jackhammer aint great though.

doubleshot: they have one in musician that they say they are selling for €120 (???? i know), but they havent got any adaptors so i can't try it out!

damien said:
doubleshot: they have one in musician that they say they are selling for €120 (???? i know), but they havent got any adaptors so i can't try it out!
ahhh, you haven't changed.

my amp is one channel and doesnt have the kind of gain that i require. i dont really want to sell it to buy a new marshall.

damien said:
seriously??? they were €250 in waltons when i checked
got mine for €110 from the states.

damien said:
people say that I need pure tube distortion from the head but that isnt an option...
How come? Too loud?
You can get a power attenuator for tube amps that allows you to run them cranked up but without the earth-shattering volume (the attenuator absorbs most of the power going to the speakers) - Marshall Powerbrake is supposed to be no good, but there are others (THD hotplate is supposed to be deadly but is expensive)

thats what the guy said alright, i thought it was well strange considering how expensive everything is over here.... i got quoted €250 as well in that shit shop beside musicmaker.

as for distortion on the tubes.. i need a very very heavy sound for easpa, without going for one of those new fancy marshall 2000s or mode 4s (or some kinda peavy 5150 shit)that have loads of silly looking twiddly knobs on them, i need a good pedal :)
so.. no carl martins, eh?

marshall_gv2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back