GPO to be turned into Shopping Mall? (3 Viewers)

you should probably go in and investigate the plans in full before considering an objection to this.

dsc_00261.JPG

details about it can be read on the independents webpage link here

http://www.independent.ie/national-...-new-cultural-and-shopping-quarter-78059.html

It looks like shit.

Look at them high-flying professionals, out on their lunch-break to do some power shopping in a sterile glass and concrete area where the only bit of green is a tree on the fucking roof of a building. It's all walkways - faciliting getting from one shop to another.

It's like someone bought plans out of the Argos catalogue. It'll look crap when they build it and a million times worse ten years after it's built.

you should probably go in and investigate the plans in full before considering an objection to this.

As can be seen from the arial picture below the GPO remains untouched and if anything the addition of a new piazza area and thoroughfare to northside dublin in place of a deadend street serving disused old buildings (some wonderful old facades that could do with the maintanance too) and being faced with second rate shops all along the liffey street side, i think the new development would bring more life to the area.

the bone of contention seems to be the shopping, apartments and it not being designated as a total cultural quarter. but the development of the GPO as a museum would be a great attraction and if a private developer is willing to foot that as part of the bill to lash in cafes and shops then so be it. it would be more of a crime if they were going to be bulldozing one of the buildings there and the GPO, carlton, arnotts and independent newspapers all have preservation orders on them so we can all sleep soundly. add to the fact the horrendously designed penneys will be reclad i'd call this a worthwhile endeavour.

dsc_00261.JPG

dsc_00281.JPG

details about it can be read on the independents webpage link here

http://www.independent.ie/national-...-new-cultural-and-shopping-quarter-78059.html

This looks good to me. Can't understand the objections to it.
Although, now that it has been revealed that officially objecting costs €20, we'll see how strongly people really feel about it!

Is your objection in the €20 area? Or is it more of a €5 objection?
Time to put your money where your mouths........ be.:)

It's not the regeneration that is the problem, it's how it will or won't be done.

I think that, as Shorty and I have been saying, the issue is the difference between 'public space' and 'open space', and the kind of public space they have on the continent is really nice. you can sit there and chill out, or you can sit in a cafe and buy something and also chill out. But I don't think it's an unjustified worry that 'certain elements' will be quickly moved out of sight.

Like Diddles says, it looks like just facilitating getting from one shop to another. It reminds me a bit of what they did around Quincy Market in Boston. It looks nice, but the message it sends as a piece of landscape design is 'shop and move on' not 'sit a spell'. In other words, it looks as if it's going for 'Boston' not 'Berlin' when the reverse is more humane.

The GPO being made into a museum would be amazing. There really isn't a museum that deals specifically with that whole era, and it might make the north side of the Liffey more of a draw for tourists. There's tons of other stuff to see on the northside as well, like, but it needs some sort of 'anchor' to draw people in.

good to see there were objections put in, an bord pleanala dealt out a series of conditions, some of which are based on seeing signage and frontage of shops before they will even get clearance to go ahead and a dramatic reduction in height along with 24 square access and some suggestion of using square as public performance area with a boxoffice going in place there.

again it remains to be seen how it evolves but i imagine there will be a lot of people keeping a steely eye on what happens the GPO, especially with the 1916 centenary coming so close to the proposed finish date of this development.

Isn't that just hanging about chatting? People "congregate and converse" around the Central Bank and guess what? They're all annoying emo-goth-twats asking you for a euro for the bus home.

Sure, annoying as fuck, but so what? There's most definitely a lack of public places around Dublin. Almost nowhere you can sit down without having to pay, and when it does happen people go nuts because the 'right' type of people aren't using it. Should it just be for people who use thumped?

If the GPO museum/cultural centre and market place was designed in the vein of powerscourt shopping centre (but not full of shops) it would be great. Or had the feel of the Chester Beatty Library, that would be good too.

It would be brilliant to have a market space on the North Side that wasn't the IFSC and gave people a chance to buy local produce, and sell handmade items etc.

The Northside shopping areas are really horrendous. And like someone else said there is no where to sit down without paying (unless you wanna sit beside some junkies on the steps of the Cathedral.)

It's about time that some money was invested in this area.

And I disagree that all of the museums are rubbish - what about the Hugh Lane? or Collins Barracks? or IMMA? or the National Art Museum? They're deadly. And FREE!

If the GPO museum/cultural centre and market place was designed in the vein of powerscourt shopping centre (but not full of shops) it would be great. Or had the feel of the Chester Beatty Library, that would be good too.

It would be brilliant to have a market space on the North Side that wasn't the IFSC and gave people a chance to buy local produce, and sell handmade items etc.

The Northside shopping areas are really horrendous. And like someone else said there is no where to sit down without paying (unless you wanna sit beside some junkies on the steps of the Cathedral.)

It's about time that some money was invested in this area.

And I disagree that all of the museums are rubbish - what about the Hugh Lane? or Collins Barracks? or IMMA? or the National Art Museum? They're deadly. And FREE!

who said all the museums are rubbish? feckin ingrates. and they're free as well (except for temporary exhibits in the new wing of the national gallery. which is annoying)

northside shopping areas are only horrendous if you're not into high street shopping and a lot of people are so it serves a purpose. I agree the area proposed needs something to freshen it up but in the meantime you can sit on the boardwalk (sometimes besides junkies and winos if thats your thing) instead of the steps of the cathedral. or the garden of remembrance is quite nice in the sun, jervis park isnt the best or worst but its a suntrap. Its not ideal but there are some good open spaces around the city.... shame about the bits inbetween :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back