Government funding (1 Viewer)

Just so I'm clear on this, you're against funding for any art forms which aren't profit making, you reckon we should get rid of funding which allows more creative freedom and helps lessen an artist's dependence on market demands. Do you honestly believe the best music, the only worthwhile music, is music which can turn a profit and we're better off without the rest? Seriously??

Marketing is a massive part of the music industry (as it is with most industries) and if a record label or agency elects to get behind a band there is a good chance they'll do well and become a financial success. It's important to remember that quite often the decision of whether or not a band will be signed is based on their image, the demographic they appeal to, how they fit into current pop culture trends as well as their music (e.g. James Blunt). There's nothing wrong with this as far as I'm concerned, this just how music as a business works and more power to them if a band can get some serious marketing muscle behind them to get their music out there. However, I would hate to live in a world where only music which makes the ring tone download top ten survives where only albums that sell out in Tescos as fast a Harry Potter books are considered worthy of existence.

Some of the most incredible music I have ever heard was by artists I had known little about before seeing them in venues with a capacity of less than 100 (not necessarily full either), promoted by organisations who never could have afforded to bring artists in from other countries or pay Irish artists a decent fee if it weren't for Arts Council funding. I don't just mean that there's some ok stuff out there if you take a chance once in a while, I mean hand on heart, some of the most amazing and innovative musicians alive today have played in this country's arts centres and local venues for a fairly reasonable ticket price over years.

Ma fren, how long did you spend typing all that out as a non-response to your complete misreading of my statement?
I never said anything about 'profit making'. I'm of the view that on the whole the best music isn't made for profit and I don't see it in those terms, or the 'marketplace' or whatever other fuckin shite you're going on about. Trying reading what I said again with your head out of your hole this time.

Music network - what if I'm not interested in making myself bigger or more successful or more popular and I just want a grant to enable me to record and release an album as an artistic exercise and on the same scale as heretofore - would that count against me?

Just so I'm clear on this, you're against funding for any art forms which aren't profit making, you reckon we should get rid of funding which allows more creative freedom and helps lessen an artist's dependence on market demands. Do you honestly believe the best music, the only worthwhile music, is music which can turn a profit and we're better off without the rest? Seriously??

I think he's saying the exact opposite. That he has no problem with funding being made available for musics that are not commercially viable (i.e. classical), but for genres of music that potentially are, e.g. rock music .... then its practitioners should really be able to stand on their own two feet. I think ...

Music network - what if I'm not interested in making myself bigger or more successful or more popular and I just want a grant to enable me to record and release an album as an artistic exercise and on the same scale as heretofore - would that count against me?

nope

Ma fren, how long did you spend typing all that out as a non-response to your complete misreading of my statement?
I never said anything about 'profit making'. I'm of the view that on the whole the best music isn't made for profit and I don't see it in those terms, or the 'marketplace' or whatever other fuckin shite you're going on about. Trying reading what I said again with your head out of your hole this time.

I'm confused - do you think that the government should support classical music with tax payers money so that it doesn't "die on its arse" or no?

we should do away with education, music lessons and natural selection while we're at it - it creates a two-tier system within the musical community, of those with talent and mongoes who write shite songs and sing like mating cats

Didn't music network sponser a scheme in 08 where young bands could apply for grants to buy equipment for recording and such? I thought that was a great idea. I forget what the criteria was but if my memory serves me right it wasn't restricted to classical/jazz.

music network, i recorded a deadly squelchy fart earlier that i wish to turn into a ringtone and market ala crazy frog. can you help?

Didn't music network sponser a scheme in 08 where young bands could apply for grants to buy equipment for recording and such? I thought that was a great idea. I forget what the criteria was but if my memory serves me right it wasn't restricted to classical/jazz.

Yep that was us, it was actually an arts council scheme managed by Music Network with additional funding for IRMA. There were three streams:eek:ne to provide instruments for community/amateur musicians or music groups, one to provide a contribution towards high-quality instruments for professional musicians and one to provide top of the range equipment inc. instruments for public rehearsal rooms around the country (this part was funded by IRMA). It was the first year of a (hopefully) three year initiative but the second and third year sadly won't include funding for rehearsal rooms as IRMA are not in a position to provide these funds again. It was open to musicians from all genres and will hopefully be going again this year.

I want some of this fucking money..what do I have to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back