Good Theatre (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i love going but rarely do. I'm going to see The Woman in Black in a few weeks which got me thinking about the theatre, and what plays people like.

Of all the plays i've seen, Martin McDonagh's Beauty Queen of Leenane was .|..| .|..| .|..|
I saw it in (i think) the Gaiety years ago and it was excellent. great script, beautifully acted. dark comedy at its best for me.

what about you guyse?

the last theatre thing i really enjoyed was the Fabulous Beast Dance Company doing "Giselle" in 2003

I love theatre, in recent years some of the best I've seen:

"The Birdcage", Ibsen - in the Abbey. An amazing performance somewhat marred by the childish audience.

"A view from the Bridge", Arthur Miller - The Gate.

"The Shaughraun", Dion Boucicault - The Abbey. Superb.

"Aristocrats", Brian Friel - The Abbey. So good I went twice.

The recent performances of Waiting for Godot and The Constant Wife at the Gate were also amazing.

Looking forward to Anna Karenina in December

Alone it stands
rugby? pregnancy ? limerick?
yeah but still deadly ,funny . really clever the way it uses the actors

i enjoyed Woyzeck during last years Fringe. Well I would, you know.

header.jpg

i enjoyed Woyzeck during last years Fringe. Well I would, you know.

header.jpg
I saw an good production of this in the Barbican earlier this year. Some Icelandic troupe were behind it.
Cracking play.
I'm kind of lucky to be working across the river to the National Theatre. I've seen some really good plays there over the last year.

I HAVE YET TO BE IMPRESSED WITH THEATRE. ALTHOUGH I RAGIN' I MISSED THE QUEEN PLAY.

I'LL REFER YOU TO 'THE BULL'...A STEAMING PIECE OF SKANKY SHIT. THEATRE WILL NEVER RECOVER IN MY MIND AFTER THAT.

EVERYONE INVOLVED IN IT WAS FUCKING WOEFUL.
THE THEATRE AUDIENCE HOWEVER...THEY'RE THE REAL PROBLEM.

ABBEYQUAANNNDON'T

my fav play is Eugene O'Neill's 'Long Days Journey into Night' but i've never seen it performed, just read it and seen the films.of the ones i have seen i liked:

A Doll's House, Stuck (one-man play, canadian i think), loads more i can't think of right now.

dont see much meself but saw Rough Magic's brilliant "improbable frequency" at the fringe in edinburgh this summer- musical comedy revolving around camp scientists, alternate realities, Flann O'Brien and WWII era dublin. it went down a storm in edinburgh..there is talk of it going to the west end apparently.

i was at hedda gabler in the abbey 2 weeks ago.
wonderful black black comedy, incredible modernist revolving set, slightly ruined by unreadable surtitles and the inane inappropriate guffawing of a few fools at things that were NOT FUNNY :mad:

old thread but i'll give it a bump - went to see The Glass Menagerie tonight in the Gate - great play, and Francesca Anissi from Dune was starring in it!
not sure how much longer it's on for but given the last thing i saw was Long Days Journey into Night this was a better experience all round :)

also - am I wrong in thinking one of the Dudleys works in the Gate?

I went to see the Sam Shepard 'classic' Fool for Love at the peacock on Saturday. For me it was badly written and the direction was pushing the actors into melodrama and over acting. Don Wycherly was better that i expected and could keep the accent going and be convincingly macho; unfortunately that play was weakly written with no memorable lines or insights.

i love going but rarely do. I'm going to see The Woman in Black in a few weeks which got me thinking about the theatre, and what plays people like.

Of all the plays i've seen, Martin McDonagh's Beauty Queen of Leenane was .|..| .|..| .|..|
I saw it in (i think) the Gaiety years ago and it was excellent. great script, beautifully acted. dark comedy at its best for me.

what about you guyse?

McDonagh's just deadly. One of those playwrights whose work is completely different, and just as good, if you read it. The Beauty Queen of Leenane isn't as raucous as The Cripple of Inishman or The Lieutenant of Inishmore, they really need a good cast to keep the momentum going . He's fucking brilliant.

McDonagh's just deadly. One of those playwrights whose work is completely different, and just as good, if you read it. The Beauty Queen of Leenane isn't as raucous as The Cripple of Inishman or The Lieutenant of Inishmore, they really need a good cast to keep the momentum going . He's fucking brilliant.

i haven't seen the latter two you talk about but every time I go see something I'm always hoping it'll live up to that experience. so far, it's never been matched. do you know if either of those plays will be shown any time soon?

I saw Romeo and Juliet at the Abbey, which was a great production. Had been years since I was at the theatre. Think I last saw "What the Butler Saw" in Londing.
Planning on going to the Burial at Thebes, a new version by Seamus Heaney, also at the Abbey.
Thought about checking out the current production of Macbeth also, in somewhere called The Empty Space (???) but haven't heard anything about it. Anyone been?

i was at hedda gabler in the abbey 2 weeks ago.
wonderful black black comedy, incredible modernist revolving set, slightly ruined by unreadable surtitles and the inane inappropriate guffawing of a few fools at things that were NOT FUNNY :mad:

just saw a poster yesterday that Brian Friel has adapted this and it will be showing soon i think. so may go and check it out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back