Gomie (1 Viewer)

giveachickakick said:
Gomie/Gomey....

anyone else know the origin or meaning of this seemingly exclusive to the west of ireland term of abuse?:confused:

It was a term of abuse hollered by Home Rulers at bearded gentry in the Caherlistrane area. It was also dropped on Vietnam.

It's another of those Tuam things that nobody understands nor wants to.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
My sister taught her 2 year old to say mong. Then i told her what it mean. Bejaysus was she red in the face!

yeap... it's one i've used in jest before... but a rascist term it turns out,.....

in my father's town of tuam (Co. na Gaillimhe) they often refer to some one as a gomey mong child...

go h-iontach agus ta failte romhat!!!!!

and while we're at it, what the frickin hell is a "latchie" or "latchico"?

it might be a limerick/clare thing. I dunno.. it's the kind of thing my da says a lot. he's essentially a kerryman.

plug said:
and while we're at it, what the frickin hell is a "latchie" or "latchico"? it might be a limerick/clare thing. I dunno.. it's the kind of thing my da says a lot. he's essentially a kerryman.

a think a "latchico" is a layabout: one who leaves the latch on the door unlocked so they can come and go as they please...

well The, I think giveachickakick have answered your question and mine! thanks gacak!!!

ps: what do giveamanakick think of your name?

I'm off for a pint now. followed by some ear bleeding electronic weirdness in the cruiscin lan hopefully!!! .|..|

Igor said:
yeah, but more the implication that peeps with mongolian features are mentally/racially/genetically inferior.
Oh. I was told a long time ago a mongoloid was a disabled person, specifically someone with downs syndrome. I suppose they were joining the dots to the end.

giveachickakick said:
a think a "latchico" is a layabout: one who leaves the latch on the door unlocked so they can come and go as they please...

Ger, the dude who plays drums in 7.10 is in (or was in) another band called The Latchicos, based in Killarney.

FaultyGoods said:
My Mammy's from Tuam too. Mad for the Saw Doctors.

we're probably related then... everyone is tuam seems to be related.... my dad pretends the saw doctors are good just the same way he thought i was a good footballer .... tells me he saw roy orbison in tuam???!$%!!

snow machine said:
we're probably related then... everyone is tuam seems to be related.... my dad pretends the saw doctors are good just the same way he thought i was a good footballer .... tells me he saw roy orbison in tuam???!$%!!

Roy Orbsion in Tuam! I love people that see someone who looks like somebody famous and when recounting the event, rather than saying "I saw someone that looks like..." they just claim to have seen the actual celebrity themself. Sure why not. Deadly.

FaultyGoods said:
Roy Orbsion in Tuam! I love people that see someone who looks like somebody famous and when recounting the event, rather than saying "I saw someone that looks like..." they just claim to have seen the actual celebrity themself. Sure why not. Deadly.

he actually claims he saw him playing his songs for a dance hall.... that musicians would come over and make a packet by playing a few dance halls a night for only a half an hour .... it's a good story... the truth might be boring...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back