Godamn Star trek (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter The
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

The

...... for polluting peoples' minds with fancy ideas of teletransporters. It makes writing a philosophy essay on the brain as personal identity very difficult. I mean if your body and brain were vaporised into all their constituent atoms and molecules and swooshed at the speed of sound to another planet and used to reform your body.....blah blah blah.... I hold the creators of Star Trek wholly responsible for my pissed off attitude right now

The said:
...... for polluting peoples' minds with fancy ideas of teletransporters. It makes writing a philosophy essay on the brain as personal identity very difficult. I mean if your body and brain were vaporised into all their constituent atoms and molecules and swooshed at the speed of sound to another planet and used to reform your body.....blah blah blah.... I hold the creators of Star Trek wholly responsible for my pissed off attitude right now

Here's somehting to piss you off furthur, the actual science behind transportation (they've done it with light atoms I think) involves not breaking up the item to be transported into their atoms and just moving them someplace else but in fact replicating the atom in the new locations and destroying the one being "transported", unless the guy that told me that is full of shit.

well you see thats my arument cos it backs up my marvellous claim..... but then you see wouldn't you just be destroying the item and replicating it so as that person would actually be destroyed completely?? is it the same person, is it not???

Far too deep to be discussing just before I go to bed.

It's an indentical person in every sense that theoretically atom for atom it's the same, and then if you factor in the theory that we're all just space dust that's part of a single connected universe (that is to say that I am me, and the computer I'm typing on and you for that matter) and the argument that they're the same is a bit more compelling, then you factor in something else that blows that theory out of the water. For me it would ultimately depend on if you believed in the existance on a soul ot not.

Basically, the answer is 47

My sleep pattern tonight shall be
!zed !zed !zed :confused: :confused: :confused: !zed !zed !zed :confused: :confused: !zed !zed :confused: !zed !bog !zed !bing :) !zed !zed :confused: :( !bog !zed !bing !cheezy :cool: !zed !zed !zed ....... and then it will be morning and I will have ot have figured out all the problems of the universe

remember when Barkley got bitten in the transporter stream?
remember when there were two Wil Rikers?
remember when they found Scotty trapped in a transporter stream for 70 years?

Star Trek rules.

if "mind" is an emergent property of the brain - the physical system of particles - then if you perfectly replicate the brain, then the same property emerges.

that said, any change in position is a change in perspective and the person's relationship with the rest of the universe, so in any sense teleportation (or any other change, no matter how minute) must alter the mind-property. in the same vein of thought, each new experience destroys the old person; you will never again be the person you were 1 second ago, or 2 days ago, or 5 years ago. so, what's the difference between that and teleportation?

atoms schmatoms. continuous i-narratives are the way to go. mind you, i'm coming at this from a cognitive science point of view, philosophy might be completely different.

The said:

"Pyschological and physiological investigations have made the existence of the human soul less probable; but the very desire to search makes its more probable."

And then the dog in the attic spoke again...

"Geogre hook rules, and if you introduce another fistula I'll bite yer bollix off"

avernus said:
Star Trek rules.
no it doesnt. i'm convinced star trek was financed by Pennys to promote their polyester unisex range of odd coloured clothing. it started to get out of hand sometime in the 70s and they didnt have the heart to burst trekkies multiple delusional bubbles. they just went on to bankroll home and away in order to push their sleevless shirt and flip flop ensemble. Pennys has a whole lot of things .....to answer for.

Unicron said:
it would ultimately depend on if you believed in the existance on a soul ot not.
I've thought about this before and that is the conclusion I came to also. If you were destroyed and then rebuilt exactly, atom-for-atom somewhere else would it be you? Would you be able to see out the eyes of the clone? If you weren't destroyed and an exact copy was built would you be able to control the limbs of the other? If you believe in some sort of 'soul' then the answer should be no.

borgpony.jpg

This is all making me think about the bicycle/human atomic crossover stuff in Flann O'Briens the Third Policeman.

pluck2.gif

Where if you ride bikes round bumpy counrty lanes enough of the time, the constant banging together of your arse and the seat make some of your atoms and the bikes atoms swap places, making you more like a bike and the bike more like you.

I believe it's true now

Wilbert said:
You do know that all of this Star Trek transportery stuff isn't possible and never will be, don't you?

Please say that you do.

yeah right! boy will your face be red when we can all step into one microwave and end up in another microwave. I wonder though, what'd happen if say a fly was bizzing into the microwave too when you stepped in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back