giving money to beggars (1 Viewer)

I don't smoke so can't give smokes out. I'm curious - someone mentioned foreigners at Busaras asking for bus money. Are they from new EU countries and are they going home?? I've heard there are more and more foreign homeless in the country, but am not sure what the story is there. Homelessness must be horrific, but add to that being in a foreign country...I can't fathom it.

When the new ten E.U. countrys joined Ireland in its infinate wisdom brought in something called the Habitual Residency Condition (HRC) which said that someone had to be resident in Ireland or the commen travel area (ireland and britian) for two years before becoming eligable for social welfare.
This has caused huge problems especially as people coming from eastren european counties are usually totally unaware of how expensive Ireland is. They come over with what they would consider to be a lot of money but run through it quite quickly. When they have no money left there is no back up from the state to help them.

A few years ago while waiting for the bus late one night this man of around 60 came over to me. He was shabbily dressed but you could see he was making some kind of an effort with his appearance. He was homeless and carrying a bag with all of his stuff in it.
He asked me very politely for €2 and I gave it to him. He was very grateful and embarrassed and turned to leave. Then he turned back and his eyes were filling up and he said "I'm sorry, son. I never thought my life would end up like this. I'm so ashamed to be asking people in the street for money."
I can feel the lump in my throat rising now. I just put my hand on his shoulder and told him he needn't be embarrassed as it was all I could think of to say. He thanked me again and left.
I was devastated and depressed for about a week afterwards.
I never give money to anyone but old people who are begging.

When the new ten E.U. countrys joined Ireland in its infinate wisdom brought in something called the Habitual Residency Condition (HRC) which said that someone had to be resident in Ireland or the commen travel area (ireland and britian) for two years before becoming eligable for social welfare.
This has caused huge problems especially as people coming from eastren european counties are usually totally unaware of how expensive Ireland is. They come over with what they would consider to be a lot of money but run through it quite quickly. When they have no money left there is no back up from the state to help them.
yeah, it's tough when you travel to another country and expect handouts.
solution: get a job or fuck off home.
simplicity itself.

Better to give to the organisations, methinks.

I think most doctors wouldn't agree that sobriety is a bigger shock to the system than alcohol. Better to be sober. More of a chance at an extended life.

A mate of mine who is a pharmacist told me that they keep a bottle of whiskeybehind the counter as it is the quickest way to treat someone with the DTs

A few years ago while waiting for the bus late one night this man of around 60 came over to me. He was shabbily dressed but you could see he was making some kind of an effort with his appearance. He was homeless and carrying a bag with all of his stuff in it.
He asked me very politely for €2 and I gave it to him. He was very grateful and embarrassed and turned to leave. Then he turned back and his eyes were filling up and he said "I'm sorry, son. I never thought my life would end up like this. I'm so ashamed to be asking people in the street for money."
I can feel the lump in my throat rising now. I just put my hand on his shoulder and told him he needn't be embarrassed as it was all I could think of to say. He thanked me again and left.
I was devastated and depressed for about a week afterwards.
I never give money to anyone but old people who are begging.

id have probably cried. i think thats why i give old people money.
sob.

I was stuck in Dublin after a gig one night. I had no place to stay. There was no accom in town - it was the height of summertime - so rather than go out to the airport or the red cow and pay a fortune for a hotel I figured i'd stroll around for a few hours and get the first bus home.

I arrived at Busaras at about 7am and there was abut 30 teenage kids outside. There was on kid on a wheelchair. I figured it was a GAA team going somewhere for a match or something like that - I even remember thinking it was nice of them to go to the trouble of bringing their friend in the wheelchair along! What a dopey cunt I was!

When they opened the doors of busaras the kids filed in. The each went to one of the seats and went to sleep. Every seat in the building was full and there wasn't a sound except the sound of the guys sleeping.

The sight of the kid on the wheelchair pulling himself onto the seat in Busaras to get a couple of hours of relative comfort really upset me.

Not one of them was over 20.

simplicity itself.

I doubt that anyone would come over here to stay in our homeless shelters, wonderful and all as they are.

If we are willing to accept people to come into the country to work we must also accept the social problems that come with them.

I sometimes give beggars money. Alternatively if they are outside a shop like Centra or Spar I occasionally will buy some food and hand it to them. I have no hard and fast rules about it - it depends on the situation. I have no concept of what it must be like to be homeless / a beggar other than the impression that it must be hell.

Chuggers, on the other hand, will get nothing from me ever.

I sometimes give beggars money. Alternatively if they are outside a shop like Centra or Spar I occasionally will buy some food and hand it to them. I have no hard and fast rules about it - it depends on the situation. I have no concept of what it must be like to be homeless / a beggar other than the impression that it must be hell.

Chuggers, on the other hand, will get nothing from me ever.
wotsa chugger? someone drinking?

Chugger = charity mugger.
They accost you on the street looking for money for charities. You have to hand over your bank details. They pretend to be your friend too. Give me your abusive hairy alco any day.

simplicity itself.

I have heard from some people (one of them a Lithuanian I work with) that a lot of people come from the new EU countries looking to work very hard for a few years, save up and then go home with wads of cash to set up their own businesses, help their families out, etc. etc. If this is the case, then I can imagine they're not here to sponge off us all. Also, the Lithuanian woman I work with has mentioned that culturally, they are generally hard-working and morally it would not be very acceptable for them not to work if they were able-bodied.

I can totally understand this; when I first moved to Ireland I could not find any work and so was dependent on my better half for a full 6 months. He worked his arse off and thanks to him we survived; we lived in a mouse-infested bedsit and our meals consisted mainly of sausages (yum!) and on his fortnightly payday, the treat of a takeaway.

People who come to Ireland for a better life don't come here to live off the system - sure how could claiming the dole be a better life for anyone?

good thread,ill generally give over money and or smokes if the person strikes me as being needy and i couldnt care less if they spend it on drink or drugs.if thats what helps them get through it who am i too argue?
and i generally dislike the guards but in fairness some of the bigger stations in town let homeless people sleep on the floor of the front office so fair play there.

People who come to Ireland for a better life don't come here to live off the system - sure how could claiming the dole be a better life for anyone?
are you mad?
oh, the sweet sweet dole, how i yearn to suckle at your teat yet again....

work sucks. my boss is a cunt.

I was stuck in Dublin after a gig one night. I had no place to stay. There was no accom in town - it was the height of summertime - so rather than go out to the airport or the red cow and pay a fortune for a hotel I figured i'd stroll around for a few hours and get the first bus home.

I arrived at Busaras at about 7am and there was abut 30 teenage kids outside. There was on kid on a wheelchair. I figured it was a GAA team going somewhere for a match or something like that - I even remember thinking it was nice of them to go to the trouble of bringing their friend in the wheelchair along! What a dopey cunt I was!

When they opened the doors of busaras the kids filed in. The each went to one of the seats and went to sleep. Every seat in the building was full and there wasn't a sound except the sound of the guys sleeping.

The sight of the kid on the wheelchair pulling himself onto the seat in Busaras to get a couple of hours of relative comfort really upset me.

Not one of them was over 20.

this is nuts!!!! have never seen that? i have been in plenty of bus station at stupidly early hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back