GigSmart Meeting. (1 Viewer)

GRrrrrr, I think I have to give up because I'm apparently incapable of explaining what I'm talking about. But I'll try once more to sum it up in a few words.

Money is not my sole motivation, and when it comes to artistic decisions it is so far down the list of motivations that it doesn't really come in to it. On the other hand I'm willing to admit that when it comes to my life as a human being in this great year 2003 money is the prime motivation, this is neccesarily so because our capitalist society has replaced all the disperate survival needs with one big need, namely money. Money buys your food pays your rent etc.

What I'm getting at here is that money is neccesary to fulfill basic needs in order to allow you to produce art. I'm sure you've noticed that all art requires money to produce it(guitars, amps, paintbrushes, printers, non of these are free) so what better way to fund your art then by making profit from it. I used the example of the slate earlier, it's not really anti-commercial but it's still making lots of valid interesting points and keeping people informed about Dublins underground culture. The people who run it are making a profit that allows them to dedicate more time to it, but because they're not inherntly evil corporate cocksuckers this doesn't mean that it will turn into Hotpress... The point again, making money from art isn't wrong, it only becomes wrong when the motivation to make money encroaches on the artistic process.

Hmmmm, this was only supposed to be a few words but I got carried away on a tirade. Anyway if I get more replies saying that you couldn't be bothered explaining why you disagree with me then I guess I'm in the wrong place

Rob zimmerman said:
making money from art isn't wrong, it only becomes wrong when the motivation to make money encroaches on the artistic process.

must suck being such a passionless "realist".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back