gig payment (1 Viewer)

#10-7

Website
www.delorentos.net
my band are breaking up for the summer (holidays etc) and so we wanted a final gig before we all went away. so i got a gig, and the owner of the pub said that he needs a minimum of £250. he's cahrging £3 at the door, so if there's 100 people we're in the clear. ok? but the thing is we won't get paid a penny whether there is 100 in the place, or 300!
he says that any money made is his, but surely we have a right to get something out of it?
we're not money grabbing bastards or anything, but y'know if we pack the place aren't we intitled to something?

Is this a joke?
Burn his house down.
I take it this isn't in Dublin?

ah, john, ..... now, now.. the man's just an entrepaneur. and must be celebrated as such. back in my day yid have amputed your own leg to play to a load of dead nuns in peter stringfellows bog.

be thankful for what you got, i never say.

This is what annoys me about dublin. Out in the wesht, where I'm from, you get payed for practically every gig you do. In one band I was in we practically emptied a pub (everyone wanted to hear g'n'r and metallica) but we still got £150. They actually lost money because of us, but we still got payed. To pay a deposit for playing a gig is unheard of in most places outside of dublin. And then theres the price of rehearsal spaces jumping up in price over the last while. For fucks sake you'd have to be Tony O'Reilly's nephew to get a band off the ground the way things are. It takes enough money to invest in getting good equipment and instruments and then you have to fork out more continuously just to keep going.

The trick is to have 9 people in your band - that way rehearsals are always cheap.

But you do only get a tenner for playing.

£250 should be enough to book Whelan's shouldn't it?
And you'd get to keep any profits.
Or am I being naive again...?

well seeing as it's around £400 for the shelter, £200ish for whelans(i could be wrong, probably am,long waiting list though), you should tell the bar owner to fuck right off. it's absurd that any pub would ask for £250 with you having no chance of making any money.

lorcanzo (11 May, 2001 02:33 p.m.):
the owner of the pub said that he needs a minimum of £250.
he's cahrging £3 at the door,

See this I love and its a fucking head wreak. The owner of that pub deserves a kicking.

The venues in Dublin price list:
Whelans: £120(Sunday -Wednesday)
£160(Thursday-Saturday)
Fucking lovely prices but they can pick and choose who plays when, so they are inclined to get the best for themselves, which is fine they aren't running a charity after all, but that does mean even if you book 4 months (which you have to anyway) in advance. There's no guarantee they won't book a bigger act and tell you to fuck off.

Frazers Cellar Bar: It's either £50 or £60 quid can't remember, but you have to bring your own P.A., which is at least another £60. And the bouncers are assholes, the place smells, it's not great for seeing the band and I just generally hate the place.

The Gasworks (upstairs in Frazers) right last time I checked was for Good Clean Fun but the likelihood is it hasn't gone down in price: £300.
Why I laughed so hard when the fucker told me that.
In fairness the place did get a mega revamp. Problem is it's no better. The P.A. is a big load of piss, the bouncers aren't so bad this time cos the entrance isn't near the door to the main bar, the toilets are almost build into the stage and where the stage is just doesn't work. It's basically a two level club turned live music venue and therefore doesn't have a focus on the stage and so makes it shit.

The Four Seasons Capel St. :FREE yes people nothing.
Now the problems: It is a bit of a mad gaff (but sure if you want to play it safe all the time stay at home). You might or might be allowed to sound check (depending on weather the barman’s niece likes youse or not), It is small but hey that's not necessarily a bad thing. You do have to get a P.A. there though, but cos of it's size it doesn't have to be that big.

The Temple 71 Dorset St. : £100 (£150 with P.A.)
Can't really see any problems. eeemmm I am worried about weather it has an adequate amount of fire exits but that's never stopped us.
Oh and P.A. for fifty quid isn't that great but what do you expect for £50. It's fucking bargintown central.

Temple Bar Music Centre: I've loads of different stories on this never asked but a range of £450-£1000 have been thrown my way. Oh and it is so far up its own hole the sound has a strange muffle to it.

Eamon Dorans: I believe is free if you are a local band and there's nothing better going on.

Doyles on Fleet St. : Last I heard was it was £100 for the shitty room upstairs. It's not a bad place but the management don't really understand how loud bands can be.

Anyone else want to fill in the blanks?

you can always do a hot press ignition gig for £100 in the tbmc. they can be decent enough for practice but at the end of the day it's just 100 bills to play to your mates and the other bands mates...

rock!!!!

lorcanzo (11 May, 2001 02:33 p.m.):
my band are breaking up for the summer (holidays etc) and so we wanted a final gig before we all went away. so i got a gig, and the owner of the pub said that he needs a minimum of £250. he's cahrging £3 at the door, so if there's 100 people we're in the clear. ok? but the thing is we won't get paid a penny whether there is 100 in the place, or 300!
he says that any money made is his, but surely we have a right to get something out of it?
we're not money grabbing bastards or anything, but y'know if we pack the place aren't we intitled to something?

So are you going to try and book it yourself? Maybe you could post regarding how you got on etc - I'd be interested to hear where problems arose etc..

- Fintan

look i'm not stupid, but i think we've decided to play it because it looks like we're going to fill the place. the reason we're playing here is because i want all our friends out here to see us and our family & relations too. its in skerries, and there's nowhere to play out here. we've played in town before in all the big places a few times, and for whatever reason not everyone who wants to see us can go. at least we will have a good night, big crowd, but not a penny.
also: the owner of the pub doesn't want us to have a support band, and i'm going to push that one. AND the pub wants its name bigger on the posters then our name, and WE have to pay for the posters!
it is fucked up, but shit, we haven't got any choice really, we're finished exams and we're splitting up for the summer a week later...
its really causing arguements among us now!

i want names. what pub? what's the name of the owner? time to stir some shit.

Here Lorcanzo, I know the shituation you're in but that fella is taking the piss.
Let's see,I'm thinking about going out for a night and I see a poster wow there's Blahy blah's pub having a fucking band playing I think I'll go. Bollocks like the name of his pub is going to pull punters that weren't going to be drinking in there that night anyhow. Fucker.
Could you not find a room somewhere and rent that cheaper for a private function? Then you don't have ID hassels etc. And heads can bring their own drink. I'm thinking school hall or something. See if you were part of a youth club you could get cheap insurance and rent a hall.
OR (And I know this might not suit but) O'Dwyers GAA Club in Ballbriggan is a good place and decent enough from what I know. I've played there before but never had to deal with anyone some friends set up the gig. If you are interested e-mail me and I'll get you more info. Or if you just want to give us all the address of the pub youse are thinking of playing at so we can head round and throw rocks through the windows.

You can't let this guy get away with that. The triumph of evil is the silence of good and all that. You should really try and organise something in a local hall or something. I no its a load more work and that if you do play the pub you probably won't lose anything, but you can't let someone like that get away with it. And I think you should name the bastard.. Start some sort of musical list of shame. I know loads of names we could put on that!!

lorcanzo (19 May, 2001 02:26 p.m.):
look i'm not stupid, but i think we've decided to play it because it looks like we're going to fill the place. the reason we're playing here is because i want all our friends out here to see us and our family & relations too. its in skerries,

I bet I could name the git

got in to 'promotion' has he??, read Dermott Desmonds biography did he??.

you dance with the Devil, Lorcanzo, the mans a evil fucker.

ok so we've had a chat, and decided not to play it. yez are probably right. i don't think we're going to get anymore gigs before the 8th of june either, so no gigs until autumn. awwww. but £250? yeah no way. if anyone wants to offer us a gig out this way, we have a ready made crowd and a support band, and we'll play for free.... hmmnnn...
also decided that shenanigans in skerries does not need the bad publicity and we should keep the pub, and the manager joe sherman who offered us this deal, out of this thread. oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back