gig moments best and worstest (1 Viewer)

Don't ever go to Sonar, it's pants.
Spaniards don't do dancing or fun. I know that's a very sweeping statement, but I swear to god, it was like being in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.
Left Barcelona feeling very bemused altogether.

czar said:
best - pixies at national stadium around '90

That was a really amazing gig, it definitely kicked the ass off the one in the Point the next year anyway. The pale saints (who supported the stadium gig) were also pretty fantastic as well I seem to recall.

kirstie said:
That was a really amazing gig, it definitely kicked the ass off the one in the Point the next year anyway. The pale saints (who supported the stadium gig) were also pretty fantastic as well I seem to recall.

I remember being amazed that a tout offered us £50 for our tickets on the way in (each!). Bit depressing to think that next time they play here on some poxy reunion tour that will probably be the actual ticket price ...... It was a deadly gig though in spite of the fact that all I could see was the head of Black Francis's geetar.

i totally forgot, the most enjoyable gig i was ever at was the last time trans am played here... my favourite part was when sweeney started to play records for the club afterwards, trans am had already done 2 encores and kicked their equipment all over the place... the entire crowd turned towards the dj booth and booed sweeney until he turned off the stone roses or whatever he was playing... then the crowd turned towards the stage again and started screaming agaiun until trans am played more stuff... it's was amazing.

AlphaRelish said:
... the entire crowd turned towards the dj booth and booed sweeney until he turned off the stone roses or whatever he was playing... then the crowd turned towards the stage again and started screaming agaiun until trans am played more stuff... it's was amazing.
this sounds like heaven.:D

when i was a child (last week) i once chased a rainbow thru many fields but could never catch up with it...

AlphaRelish said:
i totally forgot, the most enjoyable gig i was ever at was the last time trans am played here... my favourite part was when sweeney started to play records for the club afterwards, trans am had already done 2 encores and kicked their equipment all over the place... the entire crowd turned towards the dj booth and booed sweeney until he turned off the stone roses or whatever he was playing... then the crowd turned towards the stage again and started screaming agaiun until trans am played more stuff... it's was amazing.
ha ha
that's deadly

nice one, crowd!

hugh said:
I remember being amazed that a tout offered us £50 for our tickets on the way in (each!). Bit depressing to think that next time they play here on some poxy reunion tour that will probably be the actual ticket price ...... It was a deadly gig though in spite of the fact that all I could see was the head of Black Francis's geetar.
my friend Benny paid £35 outside. We thought that was crazy money; poor bastard was slow off the mark

I mean they were like, £6.50
I think the all-in price was £13 - bus from Waterford to Dublin and back plus ticket is what we paid
drank my fastest pint ever in teh Headline bar afterwards

Pale Saints were fantastic; Two Sick Sisters off Half Life EP was great. Pity the pricks of bouncers that would let us near the mosh pit

and the people moshing to Havelina :)

and the two versions of Wave of Mutilation

cracking night

yea but AC/DC! come on people!
I'd liked them when they played in the RDS but was too young to go. I honestly thought I never get to see them. I remember standing in the point looking at Angus and thinking how real it all looked. I'm almost embarrased to say i actually pinched myself to see if it was really happening. Seemed like the thing to do.

aaaaaaand King's X supporting, I'd seen them a year earlier in the SFX and I'm telling you it was one of the best gigs of my life and it was fucking empty. Like 250 people! I bet every one of those people are still fans.... despite their last 2 albums (yuk!). Jesus! they're playing in London tonight... mmmm. Balls. I have to be at the sugar club (so do you)

Anthony said:
yea but AC/DC! come on people!
I'd liked them when they played in the RDS but was too young to go. I honestly thought I never get to see them. I remember standing in the point looking at Angus and thinking how real it all looked. I'm almost embarrased to say i actually pinched myself to see if it was really happening. Seemed like the thing to do.

aaaaaaand King's X supporting, I'd seen them a year earlier in the SFX and I'm telling you it was one of the best gigs of my life and it was fucking empty. Like 250 people! I bet every one of those people are still fans.... despite their last 2 albums (yuk!). Jesus! they're playing in London tonight... mmmm. Balls. I have to be at the sugar club (so do you)
I was at that ACDC / Kings X gig

I left after KingsX and went to the pub instead

Best:
The Jimmy Cake at Witnness. I shit you not. Quite, quite amazing and good for a dance.
Smog at the Roisin Dubh. Songs straight from heaven and dancing straight from the Spastic Gymnastics.
Beck & Queens of that Stone Age too, both recently.

Worsht:
Ian Brown. Like beating a narcoleptic ape to death with a branch of a tree.
Feeder. Like scooping up the ape remains, flinging it onto a plate, microwaving it, wiping Bernard Manning's arse with it and slicing into eight pieces for lunch with people you dont like.

Best: Grandaddy at the Olympia, Television at Vicar St the first time around (both 2001 I think).

Worst: This singer-songwriter guy in the Village sometime just before the summer... I can't remember his name but he was barefoot, belched into the mic several times and had a song called "Sensible Shoes" that he promised he'd play for us if we were a really good audience.. more misplaced arrogance than I've ever seen..

Richie said:
Worst: This singer-songwriter guy in the Village sometime just before the summer... I can't remember his name but he was barefoot, belched into the mic several times and had a song called "Sensible Shoes" that he promised he'd play for us if we were a really good audience.. more misplaced arrogance than I've ever seen..
Barry McCormack? Didn't he have a song called Sensible Shoes or did I dream it?

shoes.jpg

that naked nerdlinger gig in carlow was pretty cool.
or my first non-shite gig, vandals 2001

worst... festivus. festivus. festivus.

Best:
Melt Banana (such power, such brevity)
Kid606 + DJ /Rupture this year (mainly due to my role as official onstage dancer)
Coil (pissed off half the audience- of 2000 people at least- and delighted the other half. Huge audience fight ensued)
The Orb (Although the 750 mg of pure MDMA probably accounted for most of my enjoyment)

Worst:
Keith somebody... Moss, is it? (irish singer songwriter, fucking dreadful in every respect. Apparently he has about 3 albums out. Ugh)
Autechre (why? because they noodled around making boring blips and bloops for about 20 minutes while smoking a joint with no visuals, before one of them accidentally pulled a vital cord out by accident, and then they left the stage. Wankers.)

Best and Worst, and transcending both: V/VM (the most punk rock, inspiring thing I have ever seen)

"This song's about when you're in a relationship and you realize from the first day that it's fucked but you stay in it for three years. This song's dedicated to people who realize just how wrong and fucked-up and stupid everything is but still bother with it anyway. This song's for dead friends, for friends you once knew but have now forgotten, this song's about life and love and hope when it's three in the morning and the only light on is in your fridge and you have nothing to eat but the remains of a three-day-old pizza and you really want to get drunk but you have no friends left and you'd rather be walking in the park anyway. This song's for anyone who's ever had a dead friend." - Warren Ellis, Dirty Three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back