George Pelecanos (1 Viewer)

David Kronenbourg

Solutions
is fucking deadly. the derek strange and terry quinn series are awesome. his ear for dialogue and portrayal of ghetto life is scarily accurate for a middle aged greek fella. loved the shit he did for the wire too. he's got a new book out called the turnaround. looks set to be another classic of the genre. http://internationalnoir.blogspot.com/2008/08/george-pelecanos-turnaround.html

i dunno, the book of his i read was really goofy - it was like quentin tarantino in book format

not bad or anything, just goofy. i can't even remember what it was called

i dunno, the book of his i read was really goofy - it was like quentin tarantino in book format

not bad or anything, just goofy. i can't even remember what it was called
his earlier stuff is slightly in thrall to the whole tarantinoesque, pop culture referencing gansgter stuff. you should check out the quinn & strange series. they're proper gritty noir stuff. similar to richard price's stuff. denis lehane is a poof.

kudos. the strange/quinn shit is deadly. the nick stefanos ones are not as good, but still decent enough.
funny you say lester because i always pictured him as bunk. is the turnaround out now?
been meanin to start on some richard price, have the wanderers but i think clockers would be more my cup of tea. that be a good starting point?

reading this at the moment. it's pretty good i guess. sort of safe pelecanos territory. all his stock characters are there: racist white boys; angry black youths; wise middle aged black men; proud blue collar greeks. it reads like a rehash of some of his earlier work, like it was a rush job or something. the plot is pretty flimsy too. having said that, pelecanos on autopilot is still head and shoulders above most of the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back