Gardening (2 Viewers)

i've been lucky so far.peas are just coming up now and only a few have been eaten.i also have some lettuce growing,hasn't really been touched at all by slugs,i have a little home made polytunnel over them.i find thats working really well.

for those with serious slug and snail problems you could always do a hugh-fearnley whittingstall and eat them,well maybe not so much the slugs but definitely the snails.so if they eat your veg then you eat them.seems only fair right:p

p.s is anybody interested in allotments.i recently applied for one but because i live in dun laoighaire-rathdown and not dub south i have to wait 3 years.presumably till enough of the occupants die off.but im pretty sure it only takes 10 people to apply to the council demanding green space for allotments.anyone interested?

something is making away with my alpine strawberries.

Almost certainly slugs. Alpine strawberries are great though... the plants seem to last forever. My mum has them growing in the cracks of the patio steps at home and they've been growing happily as long as I can remember.

p.s is anybody interested in allotments.i recently applied for one but because i live in dun laoighaire-rathdown and not dub south i have to wait 3 years.presumably till enough of the occupants die off.but im pretty sure it only takes 10 people to apply to the council demanding green space for allotments.anyone interested?

sure! check your pms there...

i grow peas every year. its the only thing i can do well.

we're clearing out a friends garden and its absolutely riddled with thorns on account of years of neglect. we've cut them all down but already they're growing back. especially in the piles of the weeds.

how does one get a bonfire license? or can you? we need to get rid of the weeds.

and then once we get rid of them how do we stop them growing back? how do we go from overgrown garden to a manicured lawn? do you have to put mulch/plastic on it? any tips would be FANTASTIC

if you give everything a blast of weed killer, the one that just kills on contact and then stops (as in doesnt stay in the soil and keep killing, the other type) that should be a start.
Wait for everything to go black;
Then you can dig it over, or rent a rotavator, and rotavate it.
Or, if you want to not use weed killer, you can just rotavate it straight off, and hope for the best. You might get some things growing back though.

Then you can rake it, and seed it, and you should have a lawn.

If you want to burn off the old brambles and stuff, I would just buy a burning can thing, like a bin, but has holes in. Then you just sort of start a small fire in the bin, and fire stuff in through the day, keeping it small enough. Let the stuff dry out though, otherwise it will be fierce smokey.

how does one get a bonfire license? or can you? we need to get rid of the weeds.

no burning of leaves please its bad for the environment.

ah no but seriously though it really is.why don't you compost those weeds...or just throw them over your neighbours wall.

no burning of leaves please its bad for the environment.

ah no but seriously though it really is.why don't you compost those weeds...or just throw them over your neighbours wall.
if you dig the green stuff into the ground it will vanish in a week pretty much.
The woody stuff will take a while, so you can just burn that off, and dig the ashes into the ground afterwards.

Hello all, I'm new.
This year I'm growing a lettuce mix (nice and peppery), radishes, beetroot, spinach, pumpkins, quash, tomatoes, carrots, chillies and rhubarb. I used to be zen about the snails and just throw them over the hegde but the feckers just come straight back so now I stand on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back