gardai "some distance from being fully human rights compliant" (1 Viewer)

damien

Since 2000
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0911/rights.html

The Irish Human Rights Commission has criticised An Garda Síochána, claiming it does not fully guarantee human rights.
The commission says gardaí are some distance from being fully human rights compliant.

The commission is publishing its annual report today. It says it has a mandate to review the law and its practice to ensure that it is in line with human rights standards.

The commission feels that An Garda Síochána is not fully compliant when it comes to human rights and it says it will monitor its future progress.
Commission President Dr Maurice Manning said effective policing and a respect for human rights do not have to clash.

The commission says it has a role to not only monitor policing legislation, but also Garda operational policies and how they are implemented.
In relation to immigration issues, the commission says the Government must amend its current policy to remove any legal uncertainty.

The commission is concerned that legislation is not examined in detail and often not discussed by the Houses of the Oireachtas.

It also says that research into the rights of unmarried couples makes a compelling case for the provision of appropriate legal protection.

When I looked at this thread before logging in, there was an ad for Corrib Gas.... 'Ireland's most exciting blah blah blah' in a column on the right hand side of the page.

The Gardai are MAD into Corrib Gas.

i hear they ween them on it in templemore so they develop a taste for it and the senior gardai can get them to do whatever they want. the same way robocop has a fondness for babyfood (and kicking the sheeeeeyyyoooooit out of mayday protestors).

When I looked at this thread before logging in, there was an ad for Corrib Gas.... 'Ireland's most exciting blah blah blah' in a column on the right hand side of the page.

The Gardai are MAD into Corrib Gas.
they love all that corrib stuff alright

violent_cop.jpg

We met the humane face of policing on Saturday drinking near SS.
He said lads if yas are going to drink don't make it look so obvious and then walked off.

This looks really interesting.

I'm sure the internet will tell me if I ask the right questions, but does a nyone know who the Maloneys or Rossiters are?

Democracy and policing
How accountable are the gardaí to the Irish people?

A Discussion hosted by Eamonn Dunphy

Featuring representatives of

Wheelock Family (inner city Dublin)
Rossport residents (Co. Mayo)
Maloney family (Crumlin, Dublin)
Rossiter family (Clonmel Co. Tipperary)

Royal Dublin Hotel, O'Connell Street Dublin
Thursday 29th November
7:30pm

All welcome

This looks really interesting.

I'm sure the internet will tell me if I ask the right questions, but does a nyone know who the Maloneys or Rossiters are?

Democracy and policing
How accountable are the gardaí to the Irish people?

A Discussion hosted by Eamonn Dunphy

Featuring representatives of

Wheelock Family (inner city Dublin)
Rossport residents (Co. Mayo)
Maloney family (Crumlin, Dublin)
Rossiter family (Clonmel Co. Tipperary)

Royal Dublin Hotel, O'Connell Street Dublin
Thursday 29th November
7:30pm

All welcome

who is organising that?

I'm not entirely sure. It was announced at a talk Terence Wheelock's bro was giving at the weekend so it could be something to do with the Justice for Terence Wheelock Campaign. There's a poster on Indymedia but nothing to indicate who's organising it.

cool.

I'm just conscious it is a panel of extremely emotional families with Eamon Dunphy chairing... i hope it goes ok and is of use to the families and they don't end up feeling used by an agenda.....

cool.

I'm just conscious it is a panel of extremely emotional families with Eamon Dunphy chairing... i hope it goes ok and is of use to the families and they don't end up feeling used by an agenda.....

That's a really good point. I've never seen Dunphy chairing anything. This kind of an occasion calls for someone tactful enough and diplomatic enough to tell audience people when to stop and manage/support emotion from the speakers. Could he?

That being said, it's really awesome and important to have a gathering of some high profile Garda abuse victims in one location to give some strength to the case against the Gardai, and perhaps encourage and support people who might otherwise feel quite alone in a fight against such a monster of an institution.

and perhaps encourage and support people who might otherwise feel quite alone in a fight against such a monster of an institution.

this is what would be interesting to see - a platform of practical support for those affected by cop abuse rather than a platform for peoples misery to be exploited and co-opted by other poltical groups/agendas.

I know i may be sounding cynical of intentions but I'm open to be shown otherwise. I suppose i'm getting more cautious in my Ye Olde age

It is important to deal with the Gardai now, rather than when things get really bad.
I would say that right now, the Gards are not that bad. They could be a lot better, there is some fairly fucked up stuff going on, and I have seen a small amount of it first hand, and a fair amount of it second hand.

But, they are nowhere near as bad as NJ/NY cops.
Nowhere near.
Not in the same league at all.

NJ/NY PD are almost beyond, or actually beyond the point of no return. This is not just anecdotal stories, this is from the core out pure badness.

Some of the Gards are corrupt, lying and sometimes brutal. But they could be worse. Loads worse. The important thing is that they are not passed the point of no return.
When people make serious efforts to reign them in and hold them accountable, particularly at this point, this is a very good thing.

It is important to deal with the Gardai now, rather than when things get really bad.
I would say that right now, the Gards are not that bad. They could be a lot better, there is some fairly fucked up stuff going on, and I have seen a small amount of it first hand, and a fair amount of it second hand.

But, they are nowhere near as bad as NJ/NY cops.
Nowhere near.
Not in the same league at all.

NJ/NY PD are almost beyond, or actually beyond the point of no return. This is not just anecdotal stories, this is from the core out pure badness.

Some of the Gards are corrupt, lying and sometimes brutal. But they could be worse. Loads worse. The important thing is that they are not passed the point of no return.
When people make serious efforts to reign them in and hold them accountable, particularly at this point, this is a very good thing.

KILL EM ALL, i say

I know i may be sounding cynical of intentions but I'm open to be shown otherwise. I suppose i'm getting more cautious in my Ye Olde age

No, I think you're a million percent right to be cynical. There are political organisations in this city who would exploit this cause for their own gain, and probably are already.

That being said, there's scope for an independent grassroots watchdog, and this kind of a meeting could go some way to creating links or whatever. There's a group in San Francisco called the Bay Area Police Watch, and all they do is keep an eye on the cops. No political agenda outside of it, no political parties involved from what I can tell, and they seem to do really awesome work supporting those at the recieving end of police violence (predominantly minorities, poor people etc, but also to some extent political activists and protestors etc).

Flashback- your optimism regarding how far gone the Gardai are here is cool but I'm not really sure I share it. From my own experience of working with poor people and reading about the cops there's some pretty fucked up shit going on in Dublin on the streets, and higher up in the force (brutality and corruption). That being said I haven't done the same in NY/NJ so I've no real grounds for comparison.

Just to clarify too, from what I've read, incidents of serious police violence in our culture are relatively rare. I mean, if you were to go on patrol with the British, American or Irish policeman for a couple of months you might witness one incident (unless you were with some Robocop cunt). Point being there should be none, and if there are, the perpetrators should be treated like other violent criminals.

I think.

ACaren'tB, only some of them.

AAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHAHAHAHAHA That cop has an exhaust pipe for a mickey!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back