gardai "some distance from being fully human rights compliant" (2 Viewers)

pretty much 'we dont beat people coz we're racist...........no no, we just beat people'.

nice.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pucks to the head seem to be delivered at the ~3.10 mark

Brian Rossiter was a 14 year old from clonmel who died after being discovered unconscious while in police custody.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0918/rossiterb.htmlhttp://www.indymedia.ie/article/75337

Sunday Business Post said:
The report of the statutory inquiry into the death of schoolboy Brian Rossiter, who died while in Garda custody, will not be published in full following advice to the government from the Attorney General.

A spokesman for justice minister Brian Lenihan has confirmed to The Sunday Business Post that ‘‘legal difficulties’’ have arisen in publishing the full report of the inquiry and that an ‘‘abridged version’’ is now being prepared.

Informed sources have told this newspaper that among the concerns identified by Attorney General Paul Gallagher is that aspects of the report could be ‘‘defamatory’’ to people identified in the 150-page document.

The revelation is likely to raise questions over why the inquiry was conducted under the 1924 Dublin Police Act, as opposed to establishing a commission of investigation - to which privilege applies.

The 14-year-old died from brain injuries in Cork University Hospital on September 12, 2002, three days after he was arrested and detained at Clonmel Garda Station in Co Tipperary.

Another youth who was in Garda custody on September 10 claims to have been assaulted in the Garda station. In 2005, former justice minister Michael McDowell launched the inquiry, conducted by senior counsel Hugh Hartnett, after pressure from lawyers for the Rossiter family.

The Rossiters have publicly expressed their dissatisfaction with the type of inquiry used to probe the circumstances of their son’s death and have taken a civil action for wrongful killing against the Garda Commissioner and the state.

The report of a statutory inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the teenager’s death was submitted to Lenihan’s office in October.

Lawyers for the state are currently in discussions with the Rossiters’ legal team and access to the full report is among the areas of discussion.

The minister’s spokesman said the published version of Hartnett’s report, which is expected in the coming weeks, would include all the conclusions of the original report.

http://thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=30355-qqqx=1.asp

I knew a dealer that was arrested on a ram raid who had his skull fractured by the cops, he also had an actual imprint of the sole of a shoe on his back, from them standing on him. He said the cops beat the shit out of him, but he had it coming, so he was ok with it.

He didn't grass anyone out though... ha ha haha. He came staggering into the shop I worked looking for a fiver to get a taxi to hospital.
He didnt want to cause a fuss by getting an ambulance.

It was weird.

edit, I say weird, but... it was more sad. It was one of my first deeply sad helpless moments I have felt. Something about the whole thing that was terrible and pathetic. Him thinking he deserved it. Him taking the beating, doing the ram raid to pay off debts he owed to a bigger dealer that he couldnt pay by dealing himself...

fuck.
Whatever.

Theyre not very human rights when they beat the shit out of my 17 year old friends and lock them in a cell for the night and then steal all their money and whatever was in their pockets (phones etc) and also when they burst their ear drums when they kick them in the head(which happened to a mate)

Cunts. Full stop.

ACAB_logo.jpg

it's a great excuse to drop a few bombs on brown people though

oh and it's been really good at keeping the reds down in europe the last fifty years

The State has settled a legal action taken by the family of Brian Rossiter, who died two days after spending a night in garda custody in Clonmel in 2002.

Under the terms of the settlement the State is to pay the Rossiter family €200,000.

In a letter read in the High Court, the Chief State Solicitor said the State regretted the tragic death of Brian Rossiter and acknowledged the distress caused to the family.

The State said it accepted that Mr Rossiter's detention was unlawful, that the treatment of Persons in Custody Act was not followed and that the circumstances surrounding his death were not properly investigated.

The President of the High Court Mr Justice Richard Johnson approved the settlement and said he was pleased that an agreement had been reached between the parties.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1219/rossiterb.html

A friend of mine whose a solicitor pointed out that human rights arent actually in legislation. They are based upon each individual country signing up and Ireland currently haven't offically agreed upon anything. If that was the case our human rights organisations would be taken under statutory funding and not run through fundraised money. There would a duty of care to fund these organisations accordingly. For example womens aid. Amnesty ran in 2007 I think a campaign about recognising the fact Ireland doesnt fully comply with their duties in this respect.

Back to the Police situation I have a friend who ended up being beaten to a pulp in a police cell. I seen him about 15 mins before he got taken in in Supermacs that night so know he was not extremely drunk. They were a bit merry but in no way aggressive or abusive. That said this could have changed with police about. Anyways he ended with nearly 3months in hospital and 75% of one of his kidneys beaten to the point on non usage. The guards had no record of his presence that night. The video footage dissapeared. The case was pointless.

I think it's particularly interesting you have to have a guard present to view CCTV footage. I think a solicitor might be ok too but it's with guard permission.

In the UK they have a local watchdog that monitors each individual police force. There still plenty of corruption. I worked alongside the police in a Safer Communities like the police on the back of the bus. There were plenty of stories of drunk lads 'giving cheek' and getting a beating. The older cops used their batons like a symbol of pride. It's all very fucked up.

I think if we sign up for the Nice Treaty that Ireland is signed into the European agreement on human rights. I have no idea about this agreement or what it specifies so could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back