From Scratch (1 Viewer)

Agreed Umfufu!
It is about bringing meals back to 'basics' and realising it's often very easy to create simple, healthy dishes. Personally I like making meals where I know what ingredients are in everything etc. I don't have the time all the time to do it but when I can, I will.
It's all trial and error anyway, lots of times I mess up but feck it, who cares?
There's nothing like the satisfaction of making a really nice meal and knowing you made it yourself.

hmm, let's see...

things i always make from scratch:
salad dressing
pasta sauces (actually, any sauces, stuff from a jar is almost invariably gack)
soup

things i sometimes make from scratch but not always:
stock (i do this pretty often, but otherwise it's marigold stock powder time)
bread/pizza base
curry paste

things i have not yet made from scratch:
cheese
yoghurt (my mam did this all the time when i was a kid and it was yum)
ice cream (though am plotting where i'd fit an icecream maker in the kitchen)
pasta

i also tend to go for tinned beans rather than dried, because i am disorganized.

That'd be about the same for me, except we're always making stock. It's like some sort of household obsession. Our freezer is filled with the fecking stuff. Chicken stock, lamb stock, seafood stock, mystery unlabelled stock. Nothing but stock and poorly formed croissants in there.

I have made cheese, yoghurt, ice cream and pasta before, but the only one I'd be bothered doing much would be ice cream, and then only if I had a maker.

I think it's an American thing and a reaction to the kind of cookbooks you see in the states where every recipe starts with a tin of campbells mushroom soup and some variety of frozen vegetable.

Don't knock frozen veg - if you're too busy to shop for fresh veg all the time they're brilliant, and often have more nutrients in them than "fresh" ones that have been sitting in the shop/ your fridge (OK, by that I mean my fridge) for ages.

I agree that it's nice to learn how to make stuff from scratch but I rarely have time to cook anything that takes more than half an hour. But pasta sauce, curry sauce, salad dressings etc are so quick to make that there's no excuse really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back