From Scratch (1 Viewer)

soaking beans and making your own curry sauce, homamade tacos, salad dressing, bread, scones, salsa, homamade cheese (dead easy), yogurt. It's way more satisfiying then just throwing it under the grill or oven.

I always buy tinned beans. I can never plan a day ahead. I always use stock cubes too, I know I shouldn't. I don't always make my own curry paste, but I do more and more.

As much as possible, most dinners are from scratch. I'd love to start making my own bread, pasta and cheese.

As much as possible, most dinners are from scratch. I'd love to start making my own bread, pasta and cheese.

Making soda bread is a piece of piss.
Once you have everything you need it's quicker & less hassle than going to the shops & buying it.

5 minutes work & half an hour sitting on your arse while it bakes.

I prefer white yeast bread although it takes a bit more work & time.
I've also used the white yeast bread, butter, garlic & chives to make homemade garlic bread which was YUM!

I'm thinking of taking the new pasta machine for it's first run tonight.
Should be fun!

A mate of mine was threatening to start making his own Mozarella recently.
I can see myself getting sucked into that too!

used to try doing my own bread but it never rose properly unfortunately,gonna try again though i think.
llet us know how you get on with the pasta umfufu

I have the pasta dough made & it's resting in the fridge.

Here's the recipe I use for soda bread.
It's from the first Avoca cookbook (as is the recipe I use for white yeast bread).

450 plain flour
400ml of Buttermilk (the Avonmore stuff is grand & easily available)
1 tsp baking (bread) soda
I tsp caster sugar
Half tsp salt

-Lash it all in a bowl & mix it with a wooden spoon or whatever you have.

-Then turn it out into a buttered bread tin (the recipe says a 2ltr tin but I prefer a 1ltr tin cos it makes the bread taller rather than wider).

-Stick it in a pre-heated fan oven at about 180ºC for about half an hour or until it's golden brown on top.
Turn it out of the tin & tap the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow, it's done.

-Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Best thing about this recipe (& using the bread tin) is there's no kneading involved.
You don't have to touch the dough at all.
You could also grease a baking sheet & make a round loaf if you fancy but the bread tin is handier.

I have been stuck once or twice & had to use self-raising flour so I just left out the bread soda.
It worked ok but it's definitely nicer with the plain flour & soda.

you read my mind umfufu. nice one.

edit: oh wait. I have that book. haha. that's handy..

Haha!

You've no excuse now.
I'd recommend making the white yeast bread from that book too.
I use dried fast acting yeast (cos it's what the local shop stocks) so it doesn't take as long to rise in between kneading sessions.

Sprinkle LOADS of sesame seeds on top too.
I use the measurements in the book but make 2 small loaves instead of 1 big one.

I've even started using 1 half of the dough to make a plaited roll which is great for garlic bread & looks impressive.
Basically, once the dough is made you can make whatever shape you want.

I'm planning to do dinner rolls soon. The one where the 5 rolls are all baked together in a cake tin so they join up & everyone breaks off their individual roll.

God, I'm getting hungry now....

used to try doing my own bread but it never rose properly unfortunately,gonna try again though i think.
llet us know how you get on with the pasta umfufu

Pasta worked out well.
I was afraid it'd be harder than it looked.
Pasta didn't break or stick together or anything.

I used Jamie Oliver's recipe (600g oo flour & 6 eggs!) which was supposed to be for 4 people so I cut it in two & put 1 half in the freezer.

There was still WAY too much pasta. Could easily have served 4 (with bolognese) with the half that I cooked.

Pizza dough is high on the list for me too.
Just back from France & even the dodgier looking restaurants were making their pizzas fresh.

I made mini-pizzas before using the Cuisine De France rolls that you bake at home.
Took them out of the packet, cut them in half, put tomato paste & Mozzarella on it & stuck it in the oven for 8 mins.

Much tastier than a frozen pizza & very easy.

Pizza dough is high on the list for me too.
Just back from France & even the dodgier looking restaurants were making their pizzas fresh.

I made mini-pizzas before using the Cuisine De France rolls that you bake at home.
Took them out of the packet, cut them in half, put tomato paste & Mozzarella on it & stuck it in the oven for 8 mins.

Much tastier than a frozen pizza & very easy.

He grabbed a simple recipe online and made a load of dough which has done him for a few days. I even got fresh, handmade pizza at band practice today!he said it is as cheap as chips to make and after the first run it just gets easier. yum!

I make my own dry rubs and barbecue sauces for outdoor grilling. Processed sauces and mixes have too much crap in them that you can taste.

As far as stock goes - a few cups of water with a celery stalk, half an onion and a carrot cooked for 10 minutes and you're home free. (A few scraps of chicken in there for a half hour will give you something miles better than any cubes or packet stock).
Only use those cubes if you positively have no other choice.
Don't forget that you can freeze stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back