Frets,fret dressing etc. (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
The frets on my SG are starting to get very noticeably worn,I can't quite really feel it yet,but possibly will soon enough.

I'm way to broke to pay for a refret,so anyone done any fret work themselves? Any advice on tools or generally doing any such work?

To be honest,I'll probably end up just using another guitar,but I'd rather have it sorted.

I dressed my frets myself.They were fubar

I used super fine emery paper.Worked out beautifully.

Just take it handy and keep checking as you go that yer not making it worse.But its totally doable.Go for it

Nah man...my telecasters frets have 20 years on them and I brought it back to life..out of neccesity..but it plays great again now

Fret wires real soft..the emery paper does a great job

Just watched a youtube video,doesn't seem too difficult,just needs a lot of patience,I might give it a go. After looking at the guitar again most of the wear is not quite as bad as it looked the other night,a few pretty bad spots though.

Thats the way my thing was..really bad on the g string at all the dots..and I had a coulpe of real bad nicks on the high E.

And I watched a couple youtubes and read up on he telecaster forum..I had no choice..I've only the one guitar so I had to chance it.

But it turned out to be no big deal..no worse than truss rod adjustment

And it plays better than it has in 15 years.Its lovely.

I fucking hate it really..but I can play it no problem

Get Hooly to do it for you. I just got my bass done by a mate up home and it's such a joy to play now.

Okay so lets say you've battered your guitar with drills and drum sticks for 10 years and now there's notches missing out of certain frets which you either

A. Can't play a note on. Usually one string and one note on that string lets say E on the 9th fret of the third string from the bottom (if in standard tuning)

Or

B. You can't bend a string because the notch makes a second attack on that string due to the shape of the notch.

Can you just replace that one fret or do you have to replace a few beside it or the whole lot or s your guitar just completely fucked ?

Asking for a friend

Heh heh.

As far as I'm aware,one fret can be replaced if that's all that's needed,the problem is that it'll probably be a bit bigger than the old worn ones so the whole neck could need a fret dress to even that out.

Yeah one fret can be replaced but possibly just need to file down the offending frets and give the lot a dress and polish.

You have to have them all level or at the same hight so maybe to do them all would be a better job ? Shouldnt be to hard i think it would be alot easier than starting from sratch on plain or unmarked fret board.
Fret spaces are determined by a specific number you divide the length between the neck and the bridge by this number and you get your first fret length then use the same number again geting a smaller and smaller figure dividing from the fret to the bridge.

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/fret.htm

Fretwork costs way too much in Ireland. I ended up bringing a guitar that needed a total refret to the US about 5 years ago. saved about €300.

Saved €300?!!!!!!!!!!??????

Yup, ask @dudley. He had Derek Nelson do a massive job on his strat a few years ago - in fariness it needed it - which included a full refret, and i think it came out the wrong side of €600, right Dud?

ah, he did a huge job though, not a fret dress, but a full refret, rewire, neck fix.
i wouldn't let him take off the filthy stupid stickers, so it didn't *look* any better, but it played better than any other guitar i'd ever tried.

plus i'd just wangled a free guitar out of the US customs, so didn't mind so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back