fret noise (1 Viewer)

windings

Website
www.windingswindings.com
I got one of me songs recorded, it's just acoustic guitar and vocals. But the fret noise from the guitar is kind of annoyingly loud. The guitar's turned down quite low in the mix as it is, but is there anything else i can do to bring down the volume of the fret noise, other than re-record?

theres a variety of fixes to this. i think the pro way to do it is rub some lemon oil on the guitar.

but for both corpo records our engineer had another method. he sat me in the vocal booth with a gas heater and made me play for about 10 minutes, after which the fret noises were almost completely gone. cos my fingers were starting to sweat 8(

worked a treat though

elixir strings for acoustic can be got fo fifteen quid:
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/iw_...FORTSUCHE&iwid=6&SUCHBEGRIFF=elixir&x=12&y=12
...but since poastage is twenty, that's only any good if you're buying other stuff too.

personnally, i kinda like a bit of fret noise in my recording - on a straight recording with a condenser, gives a bit more of a real, live feeling.

but eh, when it does get a bit loud, what i've done is simply open the wave editor in cubase and select just the offending noise and quieten it. since the fret noise is usually between notes it's easy enough to do this without messing up anything else.
...of course it would be a pain in the arse this way if there was _loads_ of offending bits.

If you want to fix an exsisting track, get a multi band compressor VST plug-in, MDA do a free one for the macintosh, this lets you compress the hi, mid and lo frequencies seperatly. Bloody handy.

Compress your high end only, to stop those noises jumping out. Should help. Maybe EQing round the high end too.

get an item called 'fast fret' from guitar shops...
you rub it on ur stings...it coats them with a fine oil and cuts out the fingers on frets noise...also helps keep them clean...used the stuff for years and its great....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back