Freelance writing (1 Viewer)

Generally it's best to e-mail the mag in advance and ask what they prefer.

Unless it's hotpress who don't seem to reply to e-mails.

Ed said:
Generally it's best to e-mail the mag in advance and ask what they prefer.

Unless it's hotpress who don't seem to reply to e-mails.

the Editors where I work get inundated with emails all the time and they just 'delete' all day long. if you wanna make an impression, send it by snail mail but drop them an email anyway. we pull some of our feature stories off the wires and often use www.featurewell.com
if you have a story up there there's a chance it'll be used by someone around the world.

Email is absolutely fine, but it's always a good idea to see what they're specifically looking for, just so you don't go to the trouble of writing something that they won't consider using.
Contact the relevant editor and mail them, or if you're brave enough, just call them directly and pitch an idea and you're angle. It's the quickest way to get feedback but don't be put off if they say no, pitch it elsewhere.

What kind of stuff do you write about?

the arts programme on radio ulster is always interested in getting new voices on, people who can really get to grips with what they're talking about while still making their reviews/reports/interviews accessible. i dunno if there's many programmes like that down south but i'd guarantee they pay contributors on a freelance basis.

You could pitch to Village (cc your suggestion to Vincent though) as they include art, also Circa might be worth trying though I'm sure you know that.
The Examiner can be good for taking stuff too.
It's worth finding out arts/features editors names and contacting them directly.
What about the magazines in the Sunday Papers, the Saturday mag in the Irish Times or even Magill (they've featured art recently)

What about websites? I'd love to get more art stuff on Sigla but alas have no funds to pay anyone including myself.

I think Entertainment Ireland have an exhibition section too.

A mate of mine writes about art for the Sunday Times, I'll ask her for suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back