Frankfurt (1 Viewer)

seanface

Website
www.myspace.com
hello. i'm going to be moving to frankfurt in august for a year to do this erasmus programme thingy. have any of y'all ever been there before? i keep getting conflicting reports ("it's rough as as fuck" vs. "it's feels much safer than dublin" and "there must be about 6 million living there" vs. "it's a quiet aul place"). all i know is there seems to lots and lots of mc donalds:confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

i was there for a few days. on me way back from the USSR.

i didn't seem rough at all. kinda the opposite - people were really friendly. Didn't any sense of a 'vibe' re. gigs or clubs but that depends on what you're into. Lots of rich bankers. all the taxi are white mercedes, unless that was a dream.

oh and the poshest (in a good way) hostel I have ever stayed in.

also it was quite sad to see how the city looked before the war and how it looks now. and that has a huge influence on the feel of the place

not much help but.................

First impressions are "rough as fuck!" Seriously rough as fuck (well the train station and the area surrounding it, large area around it). found some nice bars though. It's like anything else.

Yeah, the red light district is beside the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), avoid avoid avoid (especially at night). I went down for an impartial(!) gander during the day and was greeted by scary-looking people beckoning me into their dens of sin, screaming nutters and someone shooting up into their foot. Avoid avoid avoid.

Otherwise though it's okay, if a bit boring (along the lines of what broken arm said).

Jimmy Magee said:
Yeah, the red light district is beside the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), avoid avoid avoid (especially at night). I went down for an impartial(!) gander during the day and was greeted by scary-looking people beckoning me into their dens of sin, screaming nutters and someone shooting up into their foot. Avoid avoid avoid.

Otherwise though it's okay, if a bit boring (along the lines of what broken arm said).

cool, thanks for the advice. what is it with big european train stations being a magnet for all kinds of dodgy customers?

Will be in Wiesbaden for three days in a fortnight. Have one day off and was thinking about heading to Frankfurt for a day. What say ye, Seanface?

Will be in Wiesbaden for three days in a fortnight. Have one day off and was thinking about heading to Frankfurt for a day. What say ye, Seanface?

Hey Eric,

Yeah, you should definitely go for it. Wiesbaden is only a short train ride away. I posted this on Eirecore a while back if it's any use to you. Some pretty decent pubs and record stores to be found.

Cafe Exzess (Leipziger Straße 91 near the Uni campus) is a deadly punk venue/info centre/ cafe for gigs and the like. I lived down the road from it and there was always something on. You'll find loads of stuff there about whats going on locally

Sick Wreckords (http://www.sickwreckords.de/) is a deadly vinyl shop in Sachsenhausen. Yer man is big on rockabilly stuff and they have a decent selection of records. Some other second hand record stores nearby that'd be worth the look.

Dreikonigskellar is nearby too (http://www.dreikoenigskeller.com/). It's a deadly little bar that runs music nights and the odd gig. I was a big fan of this place when I lived there. Cheap booze, good music...

If you're there around the weekend check the Flohmarkt on Saturday morning. Deadly fleamarket with cheap food and the odd hidden gem.

Hope this helps! Been about 3 years since I was last there but all those places still seem to be about

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back