Foggy Notions presents...Si Schroeder (Dec 14) & Jape (Dec 28) (3 Viewers)

Foggy

This year Foggy Notions has played host to some of the most memorable shows of 2006, from artists such as Final Fantasy, Camera Obscura, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Harem Scarem, Johnny Moynihan's Moonshine, The Russian Futurists, Modeselektor, The Essex Green, and Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. For the festive season we decided to focus our attentions homeward, to two of the most essential young artists working in the field of modern music in Ireland today, Si Schroeder and Jape. We suspect these shows will match, if not surpass, the efforts of their international peers. Anyone who saw Jape blow the roof off Whelan's supporting The Russian Futurists or rocking the Foggy tent at the Electric Picnic will know what we're talking about. And if you haven't had the opportunity to catch one of Si Schroeder's extremely rare live performances, well now is your chance.

Si Schroeder
Whelan's, Dublin
Thursday December 14
w/ special guest: Chequerboard
Tickets on sale from WAV [1890 200 078], City Discs & Road Records

Wading through the musical debris of 2006, certain records have risen to the surface. Back in May Simon Kenny renamed himself Si Schroeder (previously Schroeder's cat and Schroedersound) and released the record of his life. Coping Mechanisms is a dense and beautiful recording that reveals layers of ideas and years of work, maybe a lifetime. At the heart of each track is a simple 'classic' song, but each is inhabited with ghosts of old archived recordings, obscure orchestras, growling basslines, strange faint alien choirs, singing gremlins. Throughout these rich, tactile atmospheres Si's voice whispers about love, machines, social crutches and the claustrophobia of Dublin city.

His live shows, previously just solo electronics, then accompanied by the mythical Bryan O'Connell on drums, have now expanded to encompass a full rock band line-up, featuring Kevin Brew of Headgear and Jimmy Eadie and Brian Mooney (both ex-The Idiots & Into Paradise). In various guises Si Schroeder has appeared at London's influential Kosmische club, PopKomm Berlin, New York's IntelFest, Chicago, and from time to time, Dublin City. Expect toy pianos and toy planes, bleeps and beats (and bleats...) bells and chimes, drones and choirs... and expect to think differently about music, and the world, when you leave.

Special guest tonight is Chequerboard, Dublin based guitarist / producer John Lambert whose performances have graduated from lap-top electronics to live layered guitar passages built up on guitar pedals and loop stations.

Jape
Whelan's, Dublin
Thursday December 28
w/ special guest: The French Letter A
Tickets on sale from WAV [1890 200 078], City Discs & Road Records

Richard Egan is, quite simply, an unstoppable force in Irish music. Despite his essential presence as bassist with much-loved instrumental rockers The Redneck Manifesto and his role with David Kitt's live band, it is wonderful to final see his own music as Jape take precedence. His debut album Cosmosphere was a formative and naive experiment in balancing electronics with raw emotion. Its follow-up, The Monkeys in the Zoo Have More Fun Than Me, went some way to revealing a unique voice with its clever song structures, blossoming voice and oddly poetic words. The last year, however, has been crucial for Richie. His full band live show has now transcended the clumsy japery of old into an edgy sonic experience with Richie projecting himself like the true star he is. The songs of his current set are undoubtedly his best yet, a perfect synthesis of succinct melody, personality and electro-innovation. 2007 is set to be the year of Jape.

Special guest tonight is The French Letter A, the work of former Joan of Arse and Groundswell song-smith Ross Hackett who returns tentatively to the world of live music with his most melodic work yet.

I think i'll miss this si s gig
shame because I didnt think the sound did him justice last time I saw him
i was at the back downstairs in cdaddy

im gonna have to get some jape tics for this gig
new stuff is only bleedin rappi

Hello. I'm just sitting at home, cogitating over the year and its products. Many collections of humans have come together and created some inspiring collections of frequency-tweaking to create aural pleasure for us all. Tonight, my focus has been drawn homeward, because Kittser is playing the local indie venue. His presence here has reminded me of the sonic contribution he has made to the pool of ear honey we have available to us. Thankfully for me, he's still relatively unknown here and I can see him in a cosy venue with quick and easy access to his pubic hair. I don't know if this will continue to occur, but I feel I should count my blessings for tonight.

Today being the 26th Anniversary of the death of John Lennon, there will be a memorial mass celebrated in Vicar Street. Bishop Schroeder will be on hand to perform exorcisms, heal the sick, loosen twisted tongues, cure leprosy, salve wounds, restore bulging eyes, rend garments, cast out demons and hear confessions. Hollerin' an' testifyin' begins around 8pm. Following this David Kitt will be performing an improvised miraculous healing dance around the same venue.

Members of the congregation wishing to get their money back from pastor Schroeder or remonstrate with him for injuries received during the Casting Out of the Demons or the Tarentella ritual may do so at his first Irish solo ceremony in months, on Thursday 14th, in the Whelan's Tabernacle church.
Solo choirboy Chequerboard will be on hand to light the incense and daub faces with ashes.

Is there still some ridiculous curfew in Whelans?

I'm working till 11-ish in city centre - what are my chances?

Can't work this one out...no-one seems to know. Sorry dude. You could give myself or Simon a ring around 5 tomorrow, we'll definitely know by then. Ya wif me?

Can't work this one out...no-one seems to know. Sorry dude. You could give myself or Simon a ring around 5 tomorrow, we'll definitely know by then. Ya wif me?

Lol! I know what you mean!

And in what is unlikely to be the last bump this thread will see, ||||BUMP))) Come to Whelan's tonight. It would make an old man very happy.

And, for those 20 or so of you kind and curious folk who will read this today, here's the most amazing thing....The theory of Rock Music, from a man who really knows rock music.
http://www.ronthemusicmaker.org/rock.htm

And, for those 20 or so of you kind and curious folk who will read this today, here's the most amazing thing....

73 so far! Radical! BURRRP! So this is more of a soliloquy for an audience than a monologue in my head!

Alas poor Yorick!
Oh what can ail thee, knight at arms!
Never give a fire a chance! RRRRUFFF!

Ha ha, yeah. It's all good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back