First Time Dad (1 Viewer)

greyslush

Hey folks

So it turns out that copious amounts of joints don't hammer your balls' ability to pass on
your genes to some unfortunate (and as yet, mostly unformed) individual. I found out
three weeks ago that I was going to be a dad. My missus is a little over 9 weeks gone
now.

Being the hippies that we are, we're hoping for a home birth. I read on the 'Having the
baby at home' thread that a few of you have met, or been through the process, with
Philomena. We're going to be meeting her next week.

My lady has no insurance and doesn't have much of an income. She's never paid tax. I do
have insurance, have a decent income and have been paying through the nose. We aren't
married, but with the shotgun now fully loaded and cocked, that's on the cards now. Is
there much we can do to claim back any of the upcoming bills?

Does the midwife do a lot of work? Should we be adding to the midwife's visits with
doctors and hospitals? I've enough money saved to cover her and also to cover private
scans. Is there a way of mostly avoiding hospitals? Is it true that having a baby will make
my penis sag and my wrists will swell up? I have so many questions. :cool:

Thanks lads and ladies.
Wish me luck!

It's true about the penis and wrists. Self-employed community midwives cost something around €3600, €2400 of which you can claim back via the HSE. Call Julie Lynch in the HSE for forms. 01-6486511. Worth booking via a hospital too for scans and that. You could do a homebirth via the Holles St domino scheme, but it sounds like you've the SECM route sorted.

Thanks for the advice, old!
Not much chance of turning into a Weller fan.
If he has magical powers that will turn my missus into a logical and sane person again, then he has a chance.
Does he have a hypnotic chill out album?

Any of you guys have some advice on how to handle a lil miss tasmanian devil?
I'm going to have a neck like Brian O'Driscoll with all of the nodding and I'll never be fit for the Dáil with the amount of apologising I'm going to have to do.
It's going to be an interesting few months!

Hi. Haven't been on here much recently and just seeing this thread now.

How did you get on with Philomena? We actually changed midwife, but were originally going to go with her. She's lovely, but scheduling visits was becoming difficult because of distance on her part and work on mine.

I don't know if your insurance will allow you to claim for you OH's maternity care.

It would be worth asking around the other midwives available in Dublin as some of them charge more than others. Some may be satisfied to just take the payment they receive from the HSE if you aren't going to be able to claim on insurance. But, from my own experience and from others I know who have had a home birth, even if you have to pay for it it's worth it.

I'm on track for a home birth next month. I only went to the hospital once, to get my blood tests done and open a file there, as a back up in case anything goes wrong. All antenatal visits at home, at least once a month after 12 weeks and every fortnight from about 34 weeks (depends on the midwife). These are pretty thorough, with plenty of time to discuss any concerns etc. I haven't felt the need to go to my GP or for any further medical attention. We didn't bother with a scan as nothing has pointed to any complications and the NMH weren't going to give me one until week 24, which is too late for a dating scan.

If you haven't already been in touch with them you should contact the homebirth association http://www.homebirth.ie/. They have a wealth of information and resources available to their members.

Good luck to all three of you :)

Thanks so much Squiggle!
Met up with Philomena, and pretty sure we're going with her. She only takes bookings in week 12, which is only a few days away now.
We have money saved, so that's not really an issue.
Giving birth on a trolley on your back in a hospital doesn't sound ideal at all.
Pardon the expression, but you wouldn't have a shite on your back, so how are you expected to push out a baby?
Home birth sounds like the only logical option, but yes, we will have the hospital as backup.
We only live about a 5 minute walk from a maternity hospital, so we're pretty lucky in that regard.
Everything's been pretty fantastic so far, with the exception of some hormonal blips, but I've been assured that's par for the course.
Thanks again for writing back.

Haha, completely in agreement with your views on giving birth on your back. Most pregnancy books clearly state that it is the worst possible way to give birth, difficult and with the highest risk for tearing and other damage.

Glad to hear that everything is going well and really hope that you get your planned home birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back