First Crush! (1 Viewer)

ahhh, i feel like i missed out with ye're curbs and squares. we were all football stoopid - 3 and in, world cup, heads and volleys... also spent more time arguing about the "rules" than playing.

i remember relievio in school though.
and tip the can down the country where you could basically feck off up the hills for a few hours leaving some poor eejit wandering around looking for ye. ho ho ho, what cads we were :eek:

what's squares????

we used to play hopscotch ...is that it??

and Bulldog and something else like Bulldog I forget the name of

Elastics...and fancy paper, and fancy pens, and rubbers, sorry *erasers*
what exactly did you do with elastics again? I can see them all joined up and had about a million but I forget the actual 'game' they were used for.

And what was the double skipping thing called, done not with skipping ropes but pieces of rope?

Originally posted by classydame
Michael York - in Manimal

Wow, i thought i had imagined that show, why did he only ever turn into 3 animals? except for the quicksand episode where he turned into a snake, or did i just make this show up ?

Originally posted by kirstie
what's squares????

we used to play hopscotch ...is that it??

and Bulldog and something else like Bulldog I forget the name of

Elastics...and fancy paper, and fancy pens, and rubbers, sorry *erasers*
what exactly did you do with elastics again? I can see them all joined up and had about a million but I forget the actual 'game' they were used for.

And what was the double skipping thing called, done not with skipping ropes but pieces of rope?

Squares is essentially tennis on the road with a foot ball. Dunno about where everyone else lives but on my road there's tar rectangles up and down the street and they're all the same size(i know it should really be called rectangle but nuts to that.). The aim of the game was to kick the ball from your square into someone elses square and they had to get it back into another square without it bouncing twice ala tennis other wise you'd be knoced out. you could play with pretty much as many people as you wanted if your road was long enough.

British bulldogs? used to play that, large group of kids running form one side of the school yard with people trying to catch you in the middle, if you got caught you joined the guys in the middle and had to catch the folks running across. Being last always sucked because it usually meant a kicking.

nuts - it was Simon McCorkendale in Manimal - Michael York was Logans Run - it must have been their blond foppish locks that confused me - still both tasty in their own way... when I was young and knew no better...

all this childhood games recalling reminds me of my own favourite game - sidepaths - where you threw a ball back and forth across the road hoping you would hit the kerb with enough force that it would cross the median thus scoring a point - and a 'Car Ball' (throwing the ball direct over the car as it passed to the kerb apposite and it bouncing back over the line) won the game - (and frightened the bejaysus out of the driver) - you had to call the 'car ball' only when you were in possession of the ball so an eagle eye had to be kept out for oncoming cars - handy if you lived on a long straight road like I did. And your joy knew no bounds if the ball ricochetted between the paths a couple of times ... ah God be with the days...

And those couple of weeks in June when everyone was out on the road playing tennis because it was Wimbledon - even your ma came out for a few games - but no one knew the rules - but we had the sweatbands.

Quote from Manimal website below (no we didn't just imagine it)

"Manimal was a short lived US series starring Simon MacCorkindale as Professor Jonathan Chase who had inherited from his father the ability to transform himself into different animals including a house cat, a hawk, a snake and his most popular of alter egos, a black panther. Chase works for the police and uses his various metamorphosed forms to solve crimes with only his assistant and Vietnam buddy Tyrone Earle and Detective Brooke Mackenzie aware of his superpowers. Mackenzie was also the love interest for the hero, but this was never really developed. The show required a heavy workload of make up effects, using prosthetics for each of the transformation scenes. After a successful pilot episode the show was cancelled after only seven episodes. However the character of Jonathan Chase resurfaced years later in the programme Nightman in 1998. Computer graphics where utilised to show the transformation scenes."

So his choices were a snake, a hawk, a panther - and a house cat! - not much of a choice - the latter probably used to fulfill some voyeuristic tendencies - ah - thats why the series was curtailed - Manimal - the peeping tom(cat).

dunno why, i used to have it when i was younger, and by all accounts it wasn't that good a game, but it just popped back into my head for some reason, now i want it

Originally posted by stunning
American yard/street games...
Any of these played over here?

Red Rover, Red Rover - check!
Red Light, Green Light
Statue Maker
Snowball Fights - check!
Dodge Ball - check!
HORSE
Barbie & Ken tie up G.I.Joe - no, we had one Barbie, one Action Man and two Sindy dolls, and Action Man wouldn't wear their clothes, the big butch closet queen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back