Final Fantasy - full line-up for Vicar St (1 Viewer)

Aye, kinda what I thought at the Electric Picnic. 'S cool and all, but gets boring after a while. I walked out half way though. That Andrew Bird really annoys me for the same reason, the whole looping and building stuff just takes over and becomes really uninteresting very quickly. I liked Dosh, though, but his set whenever that time he played Crawdaddy was short.

Dosh's set that night was boring as hell.

Dosh's set that night was boring as hell.

Dosh is as boring as hell. He is useful to Andrew Bird because the guy has an obvious talent at gadgets and loops and whatever, and all this can enhance Bird's music. However, left to his own devices it's just a series of stunts and tricks with no intrinsic merit.

Thats the trap of those loop pedals and it happens to Dosh and Andrew Bird as well. It can be really repetitive - like this is great, but its great just like the last song.

indeed.
same thing happens at Juana Molina and Colleen gigs...
i suppose is cheaper to tour with one of these -
RC-20-large.jpg

than with a band....?

i blame...
KT_Tunstall_5.jpg

;)

indeed.
same thing happens at Juana Molina and Colleen gigs...
i suppose is cheaper to tour with one of these -
RC-20-large.jpg

than with a band....?

He's retired that. His new setup involves keys and violin into an iBook running linux to handle the loops then sending it out to a quadrophonic amp setup.

Still gonna buy one of them loopstations if I ever get the cash, despite my dissing of them.

As for the curse of the looping pedal - it might get repetitive but Andrew Bird and Owen Pallett are still incredibly good at making it interesting.

There's another girl called Joanna Barwick who does it with vocals that's also pretty good.

He's retired that. His new setup involves keys and violin into an iBook running linux to handle the loops then sending it out to a quadrophonic amp setup.

aha! well he was still using the RC20 when i saw him last year.
new setup sounds overly complex/prone to glitching/etc.

would love to see some of these fuckers play unplugged!
would there be anything there at all at all at all.....

Still gonna buy one of them loopstations if I ever get the cash, despite my dissing of them.

As for the curse of the looping pedal - it might get repetitive but Andrew Bird and Owen Pallett are still incredibly good at making it interesting.

There's another girl called Joanna Barwick who does it with vocals that's also pretty good.

them pedals are good crack alright but it can get a bit tedious basing a whole gig around one....

granted you could say that about any instrument;)

Thought he was only class,incredibly good at what he does,such a talented git!

Still,I think my favourite loop based live sets has to be Jamie Liddell
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5n3jvdQxk&feature=related"]YouTube - Jamie Lidell - live at Glastonbury[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuiWgPzQwg"]YouTube - Jamie Lidell - Live at the Royal Festival Hall London 2004[/ame]

them pedals are good crack alright but it can get a bit tedious basing a whole gig around one....

granted you could say that about any instrument;)

Thats kinda what I meant to say except I didn't!

A lot of band's just have one or two modes or sounds and they can pull it off. In fact it sometimes concentrates things and makes them better to have such specific limitations or parameters, like say the White Stripes in what I consider their peak (White Blood Cells & Elephant).

aha! well he was still using the RC20 when i saw him last year.
new setup sounds overly complex/prone to glitching/etc.

Yeah, it was only the first or second time he's ever gigged with it last night. He still has the RC-20 on his board as a backup in the event of crashes.

would love to see some of these fuckers play unplugged!
would there be anything there at all at all at all.....

He did a session with those take away shows bloggeotech people a few months back playing tunes out and about in Paris, just the violin and singing, no loops.

I will say one thing for the loop station, it's a great compositional tool in terms of trying other parts out on top of something you've written.

I will say one thing for the loop station, it's a great compositional tool in terms of trying other parts out on top of something you've written.

Yeah I have a Line6 and I rarely use it live, but i'm always using it at home for writing.

Have you seen Dave? He's massive!

i haven't seen him in that way, no.

on subject, Final Fantasy was decent last night.
enjoyable.
i'm not a massive fan either way.
went more for Miracle Fortress.
MF very different live than on record...a lot more percussive, doesn't have the same amazing sheen.
still good though.
woulda preferred to see them play a longer set instead of getting yer wan to do an impromptu set...what was her name?

still managed to catch 8 or 9 songs of High On Fire .|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back