Final Fantasy - full line-up for Vicar St (1 Viewer)

So who's the very special guest at tomorrow night's gig?

I have blimming labwork on Friday morning so can't go see Girl Talk, which will probably be one of the most fun gigs of the year.

I thought it was the worst I've ever seen him.
Same here. Though I was with a few people (including MDR) who were seeing him for the first time and they thought he was great. He seemed quite unsure of himself at the start, as if he couldn't hear what he was doing properly. Played some things kinda too fast for himself too I thought, he really had to rush to fit the words in. The sound was pretty mushy where I was sitting too.

He settled in a bit as he went on. That one "It took you 2 years to win my heart and 2 words to break it" was the highlight

Hadn't seen him before and thought it was excellent. Much like the recordings I had heard.

It seemed to go very quickly (and not just his renditions of his songs) but he didn't play about 5 songs I'd love to have heard (This Is The Dream of Win and Regine, Song Song Song, Paris 1919, Peach Plum Pear, What Will Happen Next) and I still thought - wow he's got tons of good songs.

The quadrophonic I could only ever notice once but I was sitting on the balcony in the middle so possibly not the best place to experience.

Same here. Though I was with a few people (including MDR) who were seeing him for the first time and they thought he was great.

I wonder if it's a case of having seen how good he can be it's a bit of a let down when he's not at that level. I can't say it was a bad gig.

He seemed quite unsure of himself at the start, as if he couldn't hear what he was doing properly. Played some things kinda too fast for himself too I thought, he really had to rush to fit the words in. The sound was pretty mushy where I was sitting too.

Yeah, he wasn't happy withthe montors at times. That was only the first or second time he's done the V.I thing, still working the kinks out I reckon. I think you could be right on the nail with the tempo thing, I remember thinking that there's something just a little off about what he was doing.

He settled in a bit as he went on. That one "It took you 2 years to win my heart and 2 words to break it" was the highlight

For me it was "Hey Dad" -> "The CN Tower belongs to the dead". I thought the new stuff in general was very good.

It seemed to go very quickly (and not just his renditions of his songs) but he didn't play about 5 songs I'd love to have heard (This Is The Dream of Win and Regine, Song Song Song, Paris 1919, Peach Plum Pear, What Will Happen Next)

I get the impression that he doesn't much like playing "This is the dream ...".

I think theres maybe a rule of thumb should be adopted that if you see an act in Whelans and they blow you away, NEVER go and see them in a bigger venue cos it'll only be a letdown.

Very few gigs could ever touch the last one he did in Whelans.

I was also a bit disappointed that he didn't do the visuals again. They were great that time. Simple, but great.

m'eh first time I've seen him and found myself getting a bit bored by the end of it. his musicianship is mad impressive and inventive, but every song (nearly) was built up to a crescendo, when there's so much drama in every song you find yourself becoming habituated to/bored by it.

At one stage I got the feeling i was trapped in a song that would be played at disney on Ice.... think his voice just didn't gel well with the music for me personally.

I really enjoyed it, not as good as at the Electric Picnic, but I didn't expect it to be. He did seem a bit frazzled - it was still a good gig.

I liked Miracle Fortress too, the drummers were fun to watch.

I thought they were good-in-parts. I don't really see the point in having two drummers if they're both doing more or less the same thing - also I don't really like drummers who just play along dum-de-dum-de-dum. Music needs corners

Not to defend it but to put it within context. The album was recorded entirely by the main guy who's nutso into analog stuff apparently, even going so far that if he wanted a reverb sound rather than doing it with effects he found a room the right size and recorded there. Anyway, he taught himself how to drum so he could record the album so that could be why it's not amazing in terms of technique or whatever.

Personally I really enjoyed the percussion.

Not to defend it but to put it within context. The album was recorded entirely by the main guy who's nutso into analog stuff apparently, even going so far that if he wanted a reverb sound rather than doing it with effects he found a room the right size and recorded there. Anyway, he taught himself how to drum so he could record the album so that could be why it's not amazing in terms of technique or whatever.

lots of people go for natural reverb, it's hardly being nutso.

m'eh first time I've seen him and found myself getting a bit bored by the end of it. his musicianship is mad impressive and inventive, but every song (nearly) was built up to a crescendo, when there's so much drama in every song you find yourself becoming habituated to/bored by it.

At one stage I got the feeling i was trapped in a song that would be played at disney on Ice.... think his voice just didn't gel well with the music for me personally.

Thats the trap of those loop pedals and it happens to Dosh and Andrew Bird as well. It can be really repetitive - like this is great, but its great just like the last song.

To be honest I thought FF provided more variety than the aforementioned guys. It was really enjoyable.

As for not playing "This Is The Dream..." - he did play Fantasy, despite its geekish novelty and the fact that he said he didn't really like playing it- but it was a request from Miracle Fortress (who I thought were good, even though I only caught the tail end of their set.)

Aye, kinda what I thought at the Electric Picnic. 'S cool and all, but gets boring after a while. I walked out half way though. That Andrew Bird really annoys me for the same reason, the whole looping and building stuff just takes over and becomes really uninteresting very quickly. I liked Dosh, though, but his set whenever that time he played Crawdaddy was short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back