Festival of World Cultures 2009 (1 Viewer)

Niwel Tsumbu is in Motema aswell so unless you wanna go to the Festival Of Congolese Cultures, I'd mix it up a bit more.

It should rock as ever - whats teh forecast??

Two recommends from me

Warsaw Village band - who were mind blowing in Mantua last year - sort of gypsy stuff with big drums!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com/warsaw-village-band

(free too!)

Also the North Strand Klezmir band who are now the North Strand Kontra band (?!) in the Purty Sunday night I think for 15 euro (they rocked it last year)

http://www.myspace.com/thenorthstrandkontraband

kp

Was at the Afronova project feat. Tony Allen last night. It was terrible. I had high hopes for the night, Tony Allen is a legend but this was a bunch of chancers who were all looking at each other like they'd never played together before with a girl doing the most annoying irish rapping I have ever heard which is quite an achievement in itself considering the competition. The Burning Effigies were ok apart from the southside Ross O'Carroll Kelly type twat who kept jumping up onstage. They were followed by the aforementioned female rapper and her band. Then both support bands seemed to combine to create a disastrously unrehearsed jam band with Tony Allen on drums. They murdered a Van Morrisson song, the lady started rapping again and my friend walked out of the place in exasperation.
I was at the Ethiopiques show in the Pavillion last year and thought it was brilliant, the entire festival is a great event and the Purty Loft is a nice little venue but last night was very dissapointing.:mad:

Was at the Afronova project feat. Tony Allen last night. It was terrible. I had high hopes for the night, Tony Allen is a legend but this was a bunch of chancers who were all looking at each other like they'd never played together before with a girl doing the most annoying irish rapping I have ever heard which is quite an achievement in itself considering the competition. The Burning Effigies were ok apart from the southside Ross O'Carroll Kelly type twat who kept jumping up onstage. They were followed by the aforementioned female rapper and her band. Then both support bands seemed to combine to create a disastrously unrehearsed jam band with Tony Allen on drums. They murdered a Van Morrisson song, the lady started rapping again and my friend walked out of the place in exasperation.
I was at the Ethiopiques show in the Pavillion last year and thought it was brilliant, the entire festival is a great event and the Purty Loft is a nice little venue but last night was very dissapointing.:mad:

I'd been looking forward to that but was unable to go in the end, not so sorry about that now having read your review.

This was brilliant. Hotel Kiev last night was probably the highlight. Really trippy visuals. The music from DakhaBraka is mind bending. I thought it was electronic, but they were actually playing everything live. There was a guy letting off fireworks from the middle of the crowd. Very surreal.

Oumou Sangare (I stayed for the first hour of it) was really good - probably just finished.

I just caught the end of Les Tamours De Brazza, but what I saw was amazing. Basically a guy on drums, a guy on bass guitar and a lead guitarist with a really full sound and then these acrobats/drummers. Wished I had seen more of it. Classic afro pop sound.

Dhoad Gypsies of Rajasthan - amazing. Bizzare trance like music and show involving a fair amount of balancing and walking on nails etc. Definitely a highlight.

We saw Adesa, both the Clown Show and band proper. It's Ghanaian trad music (mostly acoustic) and dancing. Really good.

I didn't get to see Niwel Tsumbu or Motema for a finish.

Warsaw Village Band were interesting, but went over my head a bit although other people were saying it was great.

Dub Colossus and Babylon Circus were fairly disappointing I thought.

That's a bummer about Tony Allen. I've only recently started listening to Fela Kuti but it's excellent.

danú were fookin amazin. was only there yesterday and most of the day was spent standing around in groups of people trying to locate other people and explain where we were and how to meet up. then sat on a hill for ages waiting for those chinese lanterns off the east pier which it turned out didn't rise into the air at all.

The crowd seemed to like the night and you can't blame the bands for the crowd invasions, where were the bouncers?.. I enjoyed it a lot it.. it was a good party with Tony Allen at the helm. The Van song and Ophelia rappping were all the same tune so it was only the one song you didn't like, although I thought it was cool. I was talking to ophelia afterwards and she said that Tony Allen liked the version of the Van Morrison song so much he wants to record it with the Afronova guys, I thought the gig was loose but it was a great vibe for a sweaty club, sorry you didn't enjoy it, its always great to hear Tony Allen

I enjoyed it too, but then I have a family connection in the band. They didn't have very long to rehearse with Tony, I thought they did marvellously. It was billed as Afronova Project feat TA, so if you were expecting a normal TA gig I guess you would be disappointed.

Saw the North Strand Kontra Band in the same venue last night, they were deadly. I've only ever seen very traditional klezmer before, living in an orhtodox Jewish area of London, and I do love that too, but it was great to see a punk-folk take on it. The funkiest tuba basslines I've ever heard :)

I though it was brilliant - totally agree on the Hotel Kiev thing - band were awesome - visuals a bit 1990s trance but the sheer scale of them (hotel front and nearby apartment block) was devastating - possibly the best gig I've been at so far this year.
I loved the village band - got one of their CDs and they manage to actually get the sound down well (so many great live bands tend not to be able too!)

Great festival - my only worry is that the picnic won't match up.

I think attendance was well down - whether it was the weather or the recession - still even better for the punters that showed!

the Malian lady who finished up the main stage last night was really excellent - lovely mellow complex African music and worked the crowd brilliantly in French!

Also caught these guys busking by the sea wall near teddy s ice cream place - lovely stuff

http://www.myspace.com/captainmagicwonderland

Only one question - is every woman of child bearing age in Dun Laoghaire - knocked up?
They all seemed burdened with bumps and 2 or 3 toddling SUV fillers trailing behind!

kp

the Malian lady who finished up the main stage last night was really excellent - lovely mellow complex African music and worked the crowd brilliantly in French!

Oumou Sangare. She was awesome. Love the sound of that guitar type thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back