Fender Bass VI (1 Viewer)

mel gibson

just hit the credit card with one of these...

17542_Pawn_Shop_Bass_VI_Black_MX12301337_1.jpg

actually bought two as my brother is getting one too, we both plan to modify ours
(as they need some tweaks to get them right)
he's putting his back to vintage spec
I'm keeping the bridge Jazzmaster pickup but adding the chrome plates to it and possibly the bridge mute
I'd say we'll both go for slightly heavier La bella flats
...cannot fucking wait until Wednesday/Thursday!!

Is that a bass or a guitar or what?

Its lovely whatever the fuck it is but

It's a shortscale bass (30 inches)
But with two high strings added
You tune it E to e, a full octave lower than a guitar

Robert smith uses them on everything
The Beatles and cream used them a bit too

Wow.Never saw one of them before.I love shortscale bass.

So you play it as you would a guitar...amazing

Yeah it's really down to string gauge
With heavier strings you can play it just like any
Other bass (doubt you could slap on it though)
That's how the Beatles & Cream used it
...Check out the tv show video for Glenn Campbell's
wichita lineman to see him play lead on one!

Strung with lighter strings and you can play quasi
Guitar/baritone/bass that's how the cure, mogwai, and placebo use em!

Myself I tend to play bass riffs using a pick with fuzz mostly so this will probably get heavier strings- at least on the E and A.
A lot of proper bass players look down on these
As they don't excel played with fingers or for slap
but I think they're missing the point!
If I need to play fingerstyle l'll switch to the mustang

Poor man's version is a Dano short scale bass with a new bridge, nut and tuners along with two extra holes drilled for the tuners.

Poor man's version is a Dano short scale bass with a new bridge, nut and tuners along with two extra holes drilled for the tuners.

was giving this a little further think today. its not a huge problem, but the tuners are going to be drilled for bass size initially. Might effect choice of strings.

was giving this a little further think today. its not a huge problem, but the tuners are going to be drilled for bass size initially. Might effect choice of strings.

Oh yeah you gotta fill the holes first then drill six new ones. There's a thread with all the details on ilovefuzz I'll try find it now.

Oh yeah you gotta fill the holes first then drill six new ones. There's a thread with all the details on ilovefuzz I'll try find it now.

I'm only throwing the idea around, but something like this is what i'm likely to do, only using the thomann fender style 3/4s, because of how little i'm willing to invest in it.

Mostly annoyed that he didn't move the strap button at the minute.

I've the Dano long horn bass, and the baritone guitar. They're exactly the same scale. Done a bit of research and getting a Dano baritone, having the nut changed and it'll be fine with Bass VI stirngs. In fact, I've ordered some strings and I'm going to convert the baritone.

If I got the correct files I could do the nut myself, right? I'd imagine it'll be alkeard given the nut is aluminium, but I reckon it'll be fine.

Yeah should be fine just make sure to rub the nut down with some fine wire wool afterwards. I'd get a new nut though so you have a good one if you do fuck it up.

The guy took down his blog post as there were too many copies popping up on ebay but basically Dano necks fit on any normal 21 fret 25.5 fender style body just need to drill the extra two holes for bass VI rather than filling the old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back