Feminist Walking Tour - March 8th (1 Viewer)

how are people's own perceptions enforcing a glass ceiling when there is no overriding social acceptance of sexism? are you saying that a few down-trodden women are making sexism up for themselves while everyone else goes about their daily lives unphased?
Well, how do you define down-trodden women? When I referred to the glass ceiling I meant the work place and academia.

I'm not denying that there are no sexist bosses, sexist professors or sexist elements in government. There are all kinds of assholes. But these people are a minority and do not constitute a 'sexist system'. Iran, Saudi Aradia, Nigeria, Libya, Sudan... these are sexist systems. Compare those countries with Irish institutions like NUI, Dublin City Council or RTÉ (the most sexist of all!). In my gyrlfrynd's experience, Western Europe is by far the least sexist region in the world in terms of getting on with day to day business.

I think that the argument that women have no chance to be equal to men in this society because of the systematic persecution by men doesn't hold true (persecution by some assholes - now that's true). But a huge reason why it doesn't hold true is because of the feminist movement in the past, you'd need to be blind not to see that. But feminism today has a different connotation for many people because for these people gender plays no part in their opinion of someone's character, so to focus on one gender as a means towards equality is an oxymoron.

The only barriers to true equality lies with a minority of people who are true dicks. They may happen to be male, but they mostly happen to have white skin and brown hair too.

Ultimately, a man who wears old, tattered clothes will face more adversity and less opportunity in Ireland than a well dressed woman. If the Irish system is so hopelessly infested with sexist and patriarchist elements then how can this be explained?

Strangedude: As far as I know, you're not involved in any political/human rights organisations or causes. That's cool. Personally I don't think any less of people who aren't active. Go about your business being a good person and living your life as you think you should, I think that's really important too, but I think it's stupid dismissing political involvement as some self-involved intellectual hob-nobbing. People, believe it or not get shit done by getting together and trying to change things.
Ah now, I wasn't dismissing political involvement as an ethos. I was explaining why many women that I know are not interested in joining feminist groups and are still content.

Ah now, I wasn't dismissing political involvement as an ethos

Oh right, I thought that was what you meant by

It all boils down to if you're into analysing the shit out of everything, having a neat label for different types of theories and behaviours and discussing it with like minded people versus just living your life the way you want to and fuck the begrudgers.

Soz if I misinterpreted you.

mrs_doyle_1.jpg

Escape from Victory Episode

Football: "a load of men kicking a bit of leather round a field"

Feminism: "a load of men squabbling on an internet forum"

if the results are too complicated for us to comprehend maybe you could format them as an embroidery design template, with kittens and lobelia round the edges.

all you have to do is draw up the design, we'll take care of the needlework. you can use steel rulers and t-squares and things to be manly.

all you have to do is draw up the design, we'll take care of the needlework. you can use steel rulers and t-squares and things to be manly.

Turn it into some kind of competition and put the word 'extreme' in the title, and you've got yourself a deal there, syster.

before i begin i will re-iterate that these are my veiws, not to be pushed upon anyone. also all my points are about dublin now, obviously not about other extremely oppressive countries.

the feminist argument is that sexism and patriarchy are entrenched in our culture, laws, institutions, history, etc. and that by ignoring how ingrained it is we become oblivious to many of its effects.

i really dont believe that the balance is tipped with women doing worse off, honestly. obviously some people are sexist, some veiws/traditions could be percieved as sexist, but the effects of it are felt equally by both sexes, but perhaps because feminism is so highlighted in our society, the gender issues for men are unthought of.

i of course see women being treated in a specific way because of their gender as bad, and see female stereotypes as restrictive and unfair. people dont draw attention to the other side of the spectrum though. gender issues effect men hugely. for one, they carry a huge pressure to be strong, supportive, tough etc. In terms of actual sexism, how many times have you heard of women doing things like wearing super low cut tops to interviews, or using their body in some way to get what they want with no intention of talking to the man afterwards. how many times do you see women that expect suitors to buy everything they could desire, and wine and dine them all the time. To generalise massively, in a normal cross section of society,(not super liberal equality thumpders) the young women expect the men to be a provider(drinks, food, taxis, gifts etc), a protector willing to fight for them, a coat in the rain, a constant sympathetic ear, and anything else they can think of. the young men expect a laugh, some love and a ride every so often. just go into town at the weekend and this is plain to see.

im in no way saying that sexism doesnt exist, but i think it happens to all of us, male and female, and that women are just more likely to go mad about it.
perhaps thats because of the way the feminist movement here is so strong, with no counter 'male-inist' movement. i mean this in the same way that, for example, the number 23 is thought by some to be a magic number. because of this, they see the number everywhere, while not noticing the massive amount of other numbers around.

i still think that the term feminism conjours up division and segregation in a way that comes accross as holier than thou.

whatever yer into tho.

where it all began

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

google map with the tour stop and other sites listed in the booklet marked. tour in red, active agencies etc in yellow, other sites in blue.

if anyone spots any big mistakes (i typed 'women' as 'widbed;;' earlier, so...), gimme a shout, but it's a record of the tour right now and we realise it doesn't cover everything ever, etc.

DOES IT COVER MEN BEING BAETING BY SEXIST WIFES?? i BET IT DOESNT

google map with the tour stop and other sites listed in the booklet marked. tour in red, active agencies etc in yellow, other sites in blue.

if anyone spots any big mistakes (i typed 'women' as 'widbed;;' earlier, so...), gimme a shout, but it's a record of the tour right now and we realise it doesn't cover everything ever, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back