favourite place? (1 Viewer)

Palo Alto, California

bizarre choice. I've been many times cos of my job and that. Other than University Ave and Stanford I can't see what the place has to offer. Even those 2 are full of plastic people, but are nice I'll grant ya.

Unless you mean East Palo Alto. EPA rules. It once had the highest murder rate in the USA.

bizarre choice. I've been many times cos of my job and that. Other than University Ave and Stanford I can't see what the place has to offer. Even those 2 are full of plastic people, but are nice I'll grant ya.

That opulent cinema on University Ave that shows Hitchcock double-bills-can't remember the name of it. The Rodan gardens in Stanford. All those tree-lined avenues of immaculately-painted wood houses. It's so eerily perfect-like Tim Burton's idea of suburbia. A million miles from the suburbia I knew.

That opulent cinema on University Ave that shows Hitchcock double-bills-can't remember the name of it. The Rodan gardens in Stanford. All those tree-lined avenues of immaculately-painted wood houses. It's so eerily perfect-like Tim Burton's idea of suburbia. A million miles from the suburbia I knew.

yep, I completely agree. University preserves that authentic 50s feel about it. Its certainly unique in that regard. It always reminds me (specifically where that cinema you refer to is) of that scene at the end of 'Its a Wonderful Life'.

Its how I pictured America should be before I ever went. Ironically, that was the first place in America I ever went to. Its nice and all, but the niceness doesn't stretch that far or wide, and it certainly doesn't extend to the people. 2 gee-bags behind me as I ran to make a pedestrian crossing that had just started flashing (and I stepped off the kerb about a yard before the crossing) - 'did you just see that guy Jay-Walk?'. How will these people survive in the real world?

Radiohead had a song called Palo Alto you know. It was a B-side to a single in the Ok Computer days. Can't remember which single, but I have it at home somewhere.

I know the song well-quite what it has to do with the town though, I'm less sure. They're both clean and 'otherworldly' I s'pose. Oh I saw Fred McSavage of The Wonders Years eating a pizza slice on a bench in Stanford. Heightened the hyperreality of the whole situation.

I know the song well-quite what it has to do with the town though, I'm less sure. They're both clean and 'otherworldly' I s'pose. Oh I saw Fred McSavage of The Wonders Years eating a pizza slice on a bench in Stanford. Heightened the hyperreality of the whole situation.

'in a city of the future'......

I always assumed the song was about a place dominated by computers, and meant in a derogatory way. Lots of the big computer corps (including my one) have their HQs there, or closeby.

Oh, and theres a deadly bike shop on University Ave now. Like, a really deadly one.

inis oirr
berlin
collioure, sth of france

inis oirr ? really ? what do you like so much about it?

just outta curiousity like, my dad lives there and I find it very bleak, ok in the summer but once the weather turns bad I can't imagine coping with it for very long.

Zanzibar
Barcelona
NYC (who doesn't like it?)
Connemara

I dunno there's loads of them ...... Zanzibar was ages and ages ago so maybe it wouldn't live up to my memory of it. But I've been to Barcelona tons of times and never fail to enjoy it. Can't think of another city that has so much going for it ....

edit: oh yeah, better not forget Aix en Provence
Aix is awesome! In fact, the whole region is awesome. I'd move down there, or somewhere near in a second if someone offered me some artist's hovel (avec le broadband) there. The food!

I really like anywhere alpine, too. Tyrol especially, the valleys in and around Innsbruck.

And I really mean this, but... Leitrim is beautiful, too. Around Sliabh an Iarann, Ballinamore etc.

inis oirr ? really ? what do you like so much about it?

just outta curiousity like, my dad lives there and I find it very bleak, ok in the summer but once the weather turns bad I can't imagine coping with it for very long.

my sister is married to a dude from inis oirr. they don't live there anymore but they've got a nice house up near the factory that i blag the odd time. Winter's are rough alright, as is high tourist season when it's full of folks on the piss. but in early september when you've the place to yourself and the weather is good, it's an amazing getaway.

venice was deadly, very rosemantic and like a walking museum
I also loved warsaw, it was really cold and austere and i had a fucked up foot but it was still awesome hoppin around with my other half n chilling out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back