Favourite Book Ever (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 97
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 7
Great book. Have you read his latest? 'Breaking the Spell', the sort of book Dawkins really should have written.
Emm. No. I might get it though.

Dawkins was never (IMO) a great thinker. I have already gotten into a fight with people about this. I dont really rate him, as he sort of based his career on simplifying another guy's idea.
Dennet, on the other hand, is a very innovative thinker. Where Dawkins bangs on relentlessly on one or two ideas (that no one is really questioning anyway) Dennet builds up these amazing thought experiments in his head, and gently guides you through them.

Its like the difference between a Drag car racer and a Formula one car driver. Or something. :eek:

i have a copy of it with that cover except that i got it before he won his second booker, its the best by cover by far of all the ones ive seen for that book.

I specifically went in search of that cover on google because of how much I love it!

Oscar & Lucinda has been my favourite book for over ten years. I've bought it for various friends and relatives and the consistent response has been "I don't get it."

That book freaked the living shite out of me! I just couldn't handle the murder scenes/his general apathy towards what he was doing. Which was the point of the book, I suppose.

392px-AmericanPsychoNovel.jpg

That book freaked the living shite out of me! I just couldn't handle the murder scenes/his general apathy towards what he was doing. Which was the point of the book, I suppose.
I read, or started to read this, and was pretty horrified. Emm. I might be a pussy though. I didnt get it, and couldn't read it after a while.
I just didn't get the joke I suppose.

I'm sorry.

i just meant to make the point that bliss is the worst of his books (i think, although i enjoyed it immensely) and so if you liked that then the road ahead of you is paved with unimaginable literary treasures. oh to be a young man again...

i wasnt so mad about american psycho either. there were funny bits, and even the violence was funny at times but more in a shocked hysterical joe duffy show way. that bit where he was running around with the young lassies head hung on his cock... :confused:

I think probably this:

miller_2.jpg

Favourite bit of a book is the bit where Dick Diver gets arrested in Tender Is The Night.

I think.

Or this:

jacket_img_1.jpg

Obvious but probably my favourite... cannae decide.

I read, or started to read this, and was pretty horrified. Emm. I might be a pussy though. I didnt get it, and couldn't read it after a while.
I just didn't get the joke I suppose.
The prostitute scenes were horrible..I dunno. I just thought it was gratuitous, but i understand that's the point of it at the same time!

I think I've never enjoyed any book as much as I enjoyed this :

0808514032.jpg

I must reread that. When I first read it at school I was amazed that a book could be like that. I wonder how it reads now that I'm older and more interesting/better looking.

Great book, great book- Ive never met anyone else who's read it.
Shades of the guy from Catch me if you Can to the original hippy/crusty anarchist, guest appearances from the grateful dead, abbie hoffman,peter coyote, the IRA...

Dont laugh- this is a brilliant book

0881030856.jpg

I almost grabbed it again this morning as I was reaching for my "commuting book"

settled for a pulp crime caper form 1946 instead though

I must reread that. When I first read it at school I was amazed that a book could be like that. I wonder how it reads now that I'm older and more interesting/better looking.

:) It probably reads better the older/more cynical you grow. I read it for the first time in my mid 20s and loved it.

Maybe if it was part of the curriculum at school and you were forced to analyse the book to death, it may have tainted it for you. I know that I've no desire to ever reread To Kill A Mockingbird after being told how it should be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back