"Facts" about asylum seekers! (1 Viewer)

They can smell yer periods - even if you're a dood!!

Also i hear the lads working in the jacks make crazy money, the brother said the guy that works the jacks in the nightclub where he works drives a Lexus.

I've been in two taxis today and managed to avoid hearing any interesting "facts" of this kind. However, as the second one was passing through Dolphins Barn the driver remarked that the bookies seems to be the only shop along that stretch not run by immigrants. I managed to distract him away from this line of conversation by talking about football instead. Phew!

I've been in two taxis today and managed to avoid hearing any interesting "facts" of this kind. However, as the second one was passing through Dolphins Barn the driver remarked that the bookies seems to be the only shop along that stretch not run by immigrants. I managed to distract him away from this line of conversation by talking about football instead. Phew!

You should have told him Paddy Power has been taken over by a syndicate of asylum seekers who all pooled their €19.10 to buy it. It wouldn't have made the conversation any less racist, but you could have recorded it and mixed it with Twink's 'Zip up your Mickey' voicemail, and then released it for Christmas.

You should have told him Paddy Power has been taken over by a syndicate of asylum seekers who all pooled their €19.10 to buy it.
actually, to embellish, they asked for odds from paddy power on the chance of their bid to buy paddy power with €19.10 being successful. after having been quoted odds of ten million to one, they convinced paddy power to agree to the buyout, as paddy power is estimated to be worth €150m, and their win would grant them €191m, thus allowing them to buy paddy power out for more than it was worth.

a taxi driver in drogheda once thought i was a foreign national. I was in a taxi from a friends house to the bus depot with another friend. The friend got off earlier

and then the taxi driver started talking

Taxi driver: going back to dublin on the bus?
iff: no, no ardee
taxi driver: i didn't think there was non-national in ardee
iff: i'm irish

That term "non-national" is weird. Is it meant to be an inoffensive way of saying immigrant? It seems more offensive really.

Totally. That's one of the reasons a lot of the media have -- thankfully -- stopped using it. They still use 'non-Irish national', which I still find a bit ick. It's like there are only two categories in Ireland, 'Irish' and 'Person from somewhere else that doesn't really matter because the fact he/she's not Irish tells us all we need to know.' I know, I know, that's not actually how most people think, but just what the term sort of implies. It's also wrong because there's no such thing as a 'non-national', or at least it's very rare, since it implies a stateless individual.

I also love 'Irish-born child'. Any child born in Ireland before two years ago is not an 'Irish-born child', he or she is an Irish citizen. But it's much easier to deport an 'Irish-born child' whose parents are 'non-nationals' than it is to explain to people why Irish citizens are being chucked out of the country because their parents are the wrong colour and don't work for Pfizer.

Mary Robinson rules, by the way. She gave a big lecture about what a poor decision the 2005 referendum was, the way people voted to change the nation's constitution and restrict the rights of countless people, on the basis of maybe a hundred people a year, for a couple of years prior to the vote. It really was very sad.

Totally. That's one of the reasons a lot of the media have -- thankfully -- stopped using it. They still use 'non-Irish national', which I still find a bit ick. It's like there are only two categories in Ireland, 'Irish' and 'Person from somewhere else that doesn't really matter because the fact he/she's not Irish tells us all we need to know.' I know, I know, that's not actually how most people think, but just what the term sort of implies. It's also wrong because there's no such thing as a 'non-national', or at least it's very rare, since it implies a stateless individual.

What's wrong with Forintder

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back