extricating video from mini-dv tapes (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
peeps. what stupid cable do i need to use get video out of a mini-dv tape (inside a sony fx1000 camera) and into a macbook? the camera seems to only have a hdmi out -- no firewire out (unless i'm missing something obvious). is there such a thing as a hdmi-to-firewire cable? or hdmi-to-usb? or something like that? stupid bleedin cameras.

thanks.

:heart:

Sony_HDR-FX1000_Ports3.jpg

Top one = Mini FireWire.

great, thanks for the info.

ok, i went out and bought a mini-firewire-to-firewire cable (exactly the one santino posted).

i have a macbook pro and an older white macbook here - the macbook pro doesn't have the firewire port (as ernesto was saying), but the white macbook does.

however, the only thing on the macbook that i could use to capture the video is imovie hd (imovie 6). this *should* be able to import 1080p video, but as far as i can tell, it's not 'seeing' the camera when i connect it.

i have the camera switched to playback mode (aka 'vcr' on this camera), and connected to the computer with the firewire cable, and i'm clicking this button in imovie to try to get it to connect with the camera...

import.jpg

...but all it's doing is switching to the built-in isight camera instead.

any ideas what i could do to get it to work?

thanks!

You can try either of these two techniques - I've had success with both when iMovie is being a bitch -(which is often)

A. Use iPhoto as opposed to iMovie to import the video - then if you want to edit it in iMovie you can just drag it into it.

B. If the dv camera shoes up as an external drive , just navigate through the folders and you will find the video files in there some where - then just drag them to your folder of preference - be it movies or whatever.

You can try either of these two techniques - I've had success with both when iMovie is being a bitch -(which is often)

A. Use iPhoto as opposed to iMovie to import the video - then if you want to edit it in iMovie you can just drag it into it.

B. If the dv camera shoes up as an external drive , just navigate through the folders and you will find the video files in there some where - then just drag them to your folder of preference - be it movies or whatever.

thanks for that. no dice, though, i'm afraid. i think these tricks might work if the video is being recorded to a card, but because i'm recording to mini-dv tape, it's tricky. i think. i don't know.

Doh! - of course! - that info is right there in the title - sorry.

I'm sure you have gone through the apple support pages etc (if not , I will paste that info below)

But , here is an in-elegant solution , which may help if all else fails.

If you have a dvr or access to one - with a firewire input, you could play from camera into dvr and record it - (then burn to dvd or usb - depending on the options available and import to your editing platform from that)

Sorry, it's not the best option , but might be a solution of sorts.

(APPLE INFO ON THIS AREA)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back