External Hard Drive? (1 Viewer)

Corm

Website
www.myspace.com
What would people recommend, different shit between 100 & 500 gb, for being sturdy and good to bring around a lot from place to place (so not too big then)?

hmm, having bad luck myself with LaCie.
firstly, the firewire 800 & 400 interfaces went kaputt on me - had to transfer it into a usb 2.0 enclosure.
now my 'designed by porche' LaCie drive sounds like a lawnmower when its spinning. and LaCie wont send me a replacement for me to back mine up onto first before swapping it. so im fooked.

mind you, theyre mor e physical issues. the drives themselves never failed so . eh,. i dunno.

The D2 aint designed by Porche.
D2:
large.jpg

porche one:
external01.jpg

the porsche ones are shiiite.
ive got 3 lacies in my set up. cant recommend em enough.
the oldest one is over 5 years old. its a 120 gig that cost me near 500 quid in the day. never had a problem.

GRaid are awesome too.

the thing to remember is that external DOES NOT mean portable.

buy one of the rugged lacie drives if you wana be moving around.

and also, you really should always be looking at firewire 400/800 drives.

how much are those lacie ones?

im so glad there's a thread on these already - basically my iBook is groaning under the weight of all the photos and music i have on it.

if i buy an external hard drive can i transfer the contents of iTunes and iPhoto to it?

and do you reckon this would be a good choice? http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...e/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage&nplm=TP380

i dont really want to spend any more than that, would happily spend less if i can too seeing as it's just for pics and music.
thaaaaaaanks.

That seems ideal. Decent price too.

I got a 500gb Seagate one from komplett last week for 80 odd quid but doesn't have firewire. I wouldn't say its robust enough for very regular use but i'm only using it as storage.

how much are those lacie ones?

im so glad there's a thread on these already - basically my iBook is groaning under the weight of all the photos and music i have on it.

if i buy an external hard drive can i transfer the contents of iTunes and iPhoto to it?

and do you reckon this would be a good choice? http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...e/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage&nplm=TP380

i dont really want to spend any more than that, would happily spend less if i can too seeing as it's just for pics and music.
thaaaaaaanks.

You can definitely transfer your itunes/iphoto libraries to an external drive. It's a tiny bit fiddly if memory serves but it isn't too bad.

That drive looks good but check out www.marxcomputers.ie. They are based in fairview and they have a 500G Lacie for €118 inc VAT.

with itunes you have to make a folder on the hardrive and tell itunes to use that as your music folder. then tell it to organize the folder, it takes a while depending on how much music you have but not too bad. the only thing is if you turn itunes on without having the harddrive connected it reverts to a folder on your internal harddrive so you have to tell it to use the external harddrive again when you connect it. can be annoying if you turn on itunes then turn the harddrive on, and forget to reset the music folder to the external harddrive, then rip a few CDs. cos you have to go through the organize my folder thing again.

the only thing is if you turn itunes on without having the harddrive connected it reverts to a folder on your internal harddrive so you have to tell it to use the external harddrive again when you connect it.

Yeah this wrecks my head about itunes. I keep all my music on an external drive which i disconnect from time to time. It's a pain in the hoop when it changes the location of the library.

It shouldn't change the reference without telling you. It could store new files in a temp foler in the mean time. Then copy them over when the drive is found again.

thanks everyone.

the actual setting up and transferring may be a little head wrecking but i think ill be able to handle it.
ill check out that place in fairview too thanks

Itunes is shit.

On the whole I think it's pretty good.
I like the way it organises your music for you. I'm a disaster at doing that myself. I like the way it keeps track of play counts and skips. Makes it pretty easy to set up a playlist of, for instance, tracks you play a lot and don't skip much. Instant top 100 hits!

One thing though, 'shuffle' is not quite random. Even when smart shuffle is set to 'Random' i still hear a lot tracks suspiciously frequently. That annoys me.

What do you use?

Yeah this wrecks my head about itunes. I keep all my music on an external drive which i disconnect from time to time. It's a pain in the hoop when it changes the location of the library.

It shouldn't change the reference without telling you. It could store new files in a temp foler in the mean time. Then copy them over when the drive is found again.

Wouldn't time machine fix this? The whole fire thread has me thinking. I need and external hard drive for a back up asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back