Enjoy ATP (2 Viewers)

yeah good mix - couple of songs i didn't recognise
and bhagdad off the first album

matt pike dripppin sweat everywhere

mixed views as to whether or not the sound was good or bad - thought it was perfect from where i was.

sound was a bit iffy for mastodon, but crazy loud - not nearly as dodge as the sound when they played with slayer

acid mothers temple with damo = unreal
damo + those dudes + that guy from the mars volta = most irritating guitar player ever.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
yeah good mix - couple of songs i didn't recognise
and bhagdad off the first album

matt pike dripppin sweat everywhere

mixed views as to whether or not the sound was good or bad - thought it was perfect from where i was.

sound was a bit iffy for mastodon, but crazy loud - not nearly as dodge as the sound when they played with slayer

acid mothers temple with damo = unreal
damo + those dudes + that guy from the mars volta = most irritating guitar player ever.

You know it was great around thumped when you werent here!

MONDOBRUTALE said:
mastodon and high on fire
Thought Mastodon were pretty dull myself, but really enjoyed High on Fire.

My own highlight was Michael Rother. His band wasn't the best (the drummer occasionally seemed a bit clueless), but it was thrilling to see and hear that ticktock krautrock done live. I thought he was great.

I also really liked Weird War. They were much more of a psychedelic soul band than I expected, and enjoyed them quite a lot. (But is it true that Ian Svenonius was going around trying to sell crack all weekend?)

Others: Damo Suzuki & Jelly Planet sounded great, Lydia Lunch was good but not nearly as good as her full-band set at Gallo's ATP and Dungen were enjoyable enough in a pop-psychedelia sort of way.

And despite train cancellations that made me and a couple of friends miss almost all of Friday (including Diamanda Galas--grrr), I did manage to see Battles' second set, which I really liked. I wasn't so much into Cinematic Orchestra's music, but thought they did a very good job of accompanying the old Russian silent film Man with a Movie Camera, so respect due to them.

Now for the unpopular opinions that I suspect I'm alone in having: I thought the Mars Volta were very good, Cocorosie irritated me so much I had to leave after two songs and Antony & The Johnsons were awful. Why people like his Barry Manilowesque '70s soft-rock rehash totally escapes me.

Still, there were plenty of people there that I knew, so even if it wasn't that the most musically brilliant ATP ever, there was never any lack of drinking sessions or chalet parties.

photon said:
I did manage to see Battles' second set, which I really liked.
mark winkelman is the only person i was talking to all weekend who didn't like battles - 'their notes are too short'. best worst excuse for not liking a band, ever.
photon said:
I also really liked Weird War. They were much more of a psychedelic soul band than I expected, and enjoyed them quite a lot. (But is it true that Ian Svenonius was going around trying to sell crack all weekend?)
maybe he went to 601 asking for sting and trudy

thought both mastodon and high on fire were great.
cocorosie were deadly.
i enjoyed michael rother but the sound was terrible.
400 blows were good as were wierd war.
caught only about 15 mins of le savy fav but what i saw was very good
jaga jazzist started off really dull but got better.
couldn't hack diamanda galas. way too intense for me.
saul williams was great as were battles.
the eternals and jr ewing were rubbish.
enjoyed antony and the johnsons.
overall: pretty deadly.

yeah since libel law dosent apply to thumped, its okay to say ian svanonius was goin around selling crack. he offered some of the lads some-trustworthy blokes like. everyone there was really funny and there were some way too many cute people there; got whiplash lookin at them all.weird war were deadly but les savvy fav stole the festival. gris gris were really great. an acid mothers temple were mind blowing but they could have been allowed play longer i thought.damo rawked too as did the fucking champs. blonde redhead were the best thing I saw on friday but didnt see much else friday cept for Diamanda Galas, who sounded like a cat shaggin a banshee. the kid pukin on everything on the train on the way down was fierce funny like. oh and my rucksack fallin and breakin someones neck too was a good laugh too. sorry for not ownin up Mo!

The last couple of Michael Rother songs seemed better when he didn't allow the drummer do much fucking about. He started doing that motorik constant bassdrum thing on one song and forgot or got tiredleg halfway through, then fell out of time a lot. Very Leaguesy guitar player.

Good stuff: Les Savy Fav, Michael Rother, Kill Me Tomorrow, dude sleeping under the pool table, broken bogs, all night boozing.

Bad stuff:

Diamanda Gallas - like having someone scream in your ear and poke you in the eye until both start bleeding.

Mars Volta - tedious prog wankers.

Lydia Lunch - a woman talking bollocks while a man tries to produce the most annoying sound in the world from a saxophone.

CocoRosie - the sight of several hundred fey indie boys panting and desperately trying to push their erections down while listening to fucking coffee table music is not a pleasant one.

Intentional haircuts - just stop it. Men should not be seen blowdrying the hair of other men. See also European skinny jeans mountain.

Sausage fest - ATP is always pretty male dominated but it's getting beyond a joke.

saul williams shouting "where ma niggaz at?" and then pausing to explain that, really, us white indie types were all his niggaz - this was funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back