Elliott Smith-New Moon (2 Viewers)

clonan attack

Website
www.myspace.com
Im so excited about this album, more so than from a basement on a hill even.

What i've heard of those b-sides/ rarities are as good as anything on his albums, anyone gotten it yet?

I presume there'll also be a 1997-2003 B-sides album in the future? Although it may sound a lot less fruitful.

I :heart: Elliott Smith

I went looking for it yesterday but couldn't find it :(
I want to buy it rather than download it so i have the full collection - trying to get all his stuff on vinyl but it's hard! What a loss. I was gutted when he died. Gutted. I had my radio show that day and just played tracks by him. Sniff.

I've listened to it loads over the weekend and it's getting better and better with each listen. I started off thinking, oh, well here's some demos that sound quite like the songs off Either/Or and XO but they're growing on me hugely. I think it might be really, really good.

the reason it only goes up to 1997 is because of the contract signed with Dreamworks, which is now owned by Interscope. There are quite a few leaked songs from that era floating around, all of a similarly high standard (including a different version of First Timer from New Moon thats titled From A Poisoned Well, and another called True Love that is really intense). They used to be available on a website but have been taken down recently at the behest of the RIAA.

I still don't think he wrote any bad songs, or at least let them out in public.

Some of the stuff on New Moon is extra phenomenal though, like New Disaster, Almost Over, Looking Over My Shoulder and New Monkey, not to mention the previously released Heatmiser tunes (See You Later and Half Right).

the reason it only goes up to 1997 is because of the contract signed with Dreamworks, which is now owned by Interscope. There are quite a few leaked songs from that era floating around, all of a similarly high standard (including a different version of First Timer from New Moon thats titled From A Poisoned Well, and another called True Love that is really intense). They used to be available on a website but have been taken down recently at the behest of the RIAA.

I still don't think he wrote any bad songs, or at least let them out in public.

Some of the stuff on New Moon is extra phenomenal though, like New Disaster, Almost Over, Looking Over My Shoulder and New Monkey, not to mention the previously released Heatmiser tunes (See You Later and Half Right).

'high times' and the old version of 'miss misery' are doing it for me. all good though.

I remember when he died my mate just sat in the college cafeteria with his headphones on all day looking glum. 'I can't go out tonight John, i'm too upset...' etc.

There's a guy knocking around town at the moment who looks like Elliot Smith, and a friend of mine just had a kid which they named Elliot.

Just sayin'.

I remember when he died my mate just sat in the college cafeteria with his headphones on all day looking glum. 'I can't go out tonight John, i'm too upset...' etc.

I'd a similiar experience with a mate but in fairness now that I've gotten more into his music I can see his point I guess

very well written review here... with an odd picture that i had never seen before.

from New York Magazine

As well written a review that is the closing paragraph is shit. He did not spend his final 3 years in a pitiful junkie state, he was, like Alan Partridge, BOUNCING BACK!

Also i think Dinosaur Junior have done a brilliant job at re-capturing their best sound. Beyond is the best album they've done a while.

And in my own opinion XO was certainly not his masterpiece, as good as it is that title goes to the self title Elliott Smith or Either/Or.

I remember i had to go to the dentist the day he died, my brother had text me and i was in a funk all day about it but brought figure 8 on the bus to town with me and liked it more than i ever had before.

There's a guy knocking around town at the moment who looks like Elliot Smith, and a friend of mine just had a kid which they named Elliot.

Just sayin'.

there are lots of people knocking around going for the aul Elliott look,

i always said my first kid is gonna be Elliott, with 2 t's though, how many did yr mates stick on there? Smith had 2

there are lots of people knocking around going for the aul Elliott look,

i always said my first kid is gonna be Elliott, with 2 t's though, how many did yr mates stick on there? Smith had 2

I've also had that idea...

I don't think the last paragraph was shit. He could've said it better, perhaps mentioned that for the last year-ish of his life he was clean and in an attempt to recover from the abuses that had preceded it, but he had really quite gone through the grinder (it seems in retrospect) both mentally and physically for a period after Figure 8 until some point in 2002.

Pitchfork's review of it today was also enjoyably heartfelt and accurate I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back