Elliott Smith and the big nothing (1 Viewer)

clonan attack

Website
www.myspace.com
Just read the Elliott Smith biography "Elliott Smith and the big nothing" BY Benjamin Nugent (a fan, not a friend, but he works harder for it)
really really interesting read.

i'd defo recommend it, doesn't deal overly with his death, concentrates more on his childhood and heatmiser and quasi and the places he lived.

Texas, Portland, New York, LA (Which he grew to HATE) , Even France for a while,
while he had a tough enough life and a horrible few years after figure8 he wasn't the unhappy depressed person everybody makes him out to be by any means, just perfectly meloncholic.

never had him down as a fighter either.
anyway twas a good read, anyone else read it?

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, because I didn't expect a lot, but I thought it was pretty average, maybe even crap. I already knew a good deal of biographical detail and he didn't really shed any light (for me, at least) on his life. Also understandably a lot of people close to Elliott Smith didn't talk to him (i.e. Sam Coomes, Jennifer Chiba, Joanna Bolme, Neil Gust, Rob Schnapf, Scott Booker, friends from Portland, New York and L.A. etc...) perhaps because they respect his privacy, perhaps cos it was way too close to his death. Either way, I didn't find a great deal in there that I hadn't already read in press articles. I get the feeling he was a bit of a weirdo mentaller tho!

Also Nugent makes some embarrassing mistakes for a music journalist - he misquotes lyrics and confuses the drummer from Jon Spencer Blues Explosion with the owner of Def Jam, although do have eerily similar names, thats what research is for!

By the way, I'm clearly obsessed with Elliott Smith so excuse my ludicrously high standards!

Heatmiser - Mic City Sons

Elliott Smith - Roman Candle, Elliott Smith, either/or XO, Figure 8, From A Basement on a Hill

That should get you started. I can make you a rarities comp if yr still hungry.

coast to coast said:
Also understandably a lot of people close to Elliott Smith didn't talk to him (i.e. Sam Coomes, Jennifer Chiba, Joanna Bolme, Neil Gust, Rob Schnapf, Scott Booker, friends from Portland, New York and L.A. etc...) perhaps because they respect his privacy, perhaps cos it was way too close to his death.

wasn't jennifer chiba the girlfriend that locked herself in the bathroom while he stabbed himself in the chest? apparently. some think she did it. he had defensive marks on his hands and he was hardly fighting himself now was he?

yeh i read that and the autopsy on smoking gun (note: in retrospect, i don't know why i did that)... it seems a bit weird but i mean its elliott smith, i'd say its odds on he offed himself as disappointing as that is. even tho he was off the drugs at the time, its still more than likely given his noted instability. have you read the article from SPIN magazine about him? I have it scanned at home if u haven't.

coast to coast if you could throw that SPIN article up i'd mucho appreciate that

also for whoever was asking i think the first three albums (Roman Candle, Elliott Smith and Either/Or) are far better than the last 3.

think you can actually get the 3 of them in some weird multi pack for a pretty good price, ask in tower, thought i saw it there once

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back