Electric Picnic 2008 (1 Viewer)

Yea the lack of toilets was ridiculous - they put so much money into so many aspects of it - fantastic art work/late night shows etc etc - but why is it so difficult to provide sufficient drop downs and porta-loos. this happens every single year - come on POD get it together.

POD are a pack of cunts. They've consistently showed this time after time this year. Pack an extra 10,000+ people in from last year into the same small space, and have less jacs for them. There were no toilets between the crawdaddy and electric arena like last year. We were in the Chaplin campsite and there was less than half the toilets they had last year. Some of us had the luxury of heading offsite for reasons of hygiene and whatnot - more just chose to head out into the car park at night and shit between 2 cars rather than face the portajacks, which were pretty vile. Shit thing to do I know, but sure, desperate times etc....

The festival itself felt very samey as last year to me. Not a whole lot extra going on that I didn't see before. I did still enjoy it though, mostly for the bands I got to see. Highlights are among those already mentioned. I thought Large Mound were fantastic - the total surprise package of the weekend for me. Windings down on the Body and Soul stage were deadly too - the first time I've seen them with a full-band.

Grinderman were the outstanding act of the whole weekend for me. MBV blew my fucking head off. Whoever said they weren't loud - fuck that. I couldn't hear right again til lunchtime yesterday. I was pretty close to a lot of the thumped cool kids for that, including 2 cephalopods (I think I was seeing double, but I could swear there was 2 of him - one a little more out of it than the other!).

POD do need to get their shit together as regards facilities for people though. As promoters, they've seriously gone down in my estimation this year. They still have the best festival in the country - it'd be real nice if they could keep it that way.

Great festival overall! Highlight for me was going straight from Grace Jones to Santa Gold - like being on the crest of a wave or some thing!

kpx

Amen.

The atmosphere & energy was transferred from one tent to the other. Special night was saturday.

I was there for about 24 hours in total and managed to have a really great time. Playing was just a fantastic buzz. One of the highlights of my whole playing-in-loser-rock-bands career. I'm still on a high. How do people cope who get to do this shit all the time?

Didn't see all that many acts as I seemed to spend all my time just kind-of wandering around but did see:

Jape: Totally great ..... rocked the tent in grand style. Our Richie has turned into some showman. Deadly stuff!

Christy Moore: Only managed about four songs before it dawned on me that I couldn't hear him at all ... only the feckers singing along out of tune. Still enjoyed it though.

Sigur Ros: How can anyone like this band? Seriously? How can you possibly listen to it for more than 10 minutes without dying of boredom?

You're Only Massive: legged it over after our set and caught the last few numbers. I was one of the boring uncles sitting at the back not dancing, but in my defence I was kind-of in a daze. They were great though .... addition of bare-chested Dave on guitar and banter worked pretty well.

Melba: In Poppys Cafe in the Walled Garden. Really nice and really good space to hang around and "chill".

Breeders: Only caught the end so missed their GBV cover. Oh well.

Oh and just to finish off - thanks so much to the people who came to see us. We were competing with a lot of other good shit on at the same time ...

What would be interesting would be to do an EP user segmentation model and extrapolate out the relative cost to positive experience ratio to see which sub-set of the EP crowd gained the most from your tax.

That would be interesting.

Oh and i was in fact one of the free riders. Decided I wasn't going early on, then had a couple of jobs/freebies fall through on me on the Thursday.
Hopped on the last bus eireann bus saturday afternoon with €70, 12 cans, half bottle of whiskey, two bars of battery on the phone and a whole lot of optimism.

Everything that could of went my way did and i had a ball the two days. Tried to spend as much as i could at the bar and still the whole venture cost no more than €200.

Would do it again.

Sigur Ros: How can anyone like this band? Seriously? How can you possibly listen to it for more than 10 minutes without dying of boredom?

I'll second that!

I did like the moment when the brass section all dressed in white came out and trailed around the stage. But otherwise file under pretentious, self regarding purveyors of mediocrity – in there with Mum etc….

kpx

pics or it didn't happen

here i am riding an exercise bike outside the inflatable church

DSC00114.jpg

what a weekend. i'm completely broken and my liver has shrivelled but it was all worth it. ten times better than last year!!!

was pissed off at myself for missing juana molina but highlights for me were definitely sigur ros and of course MBV again. liked that they varied the set from when i saw them in london. also, what do people think of bilinda cutting her hair!!!

i didnt experience any kind of nanny state, never had a problem lugging in as much booze as was physically possible into the site at all. there need to be more toilets but i pride myself on not having used the Long Drop ones at all this year. last year's experiences had scarred me. portaloos were generally cleaner.
over all, amazing weekend. all i ate was falafel laden with hummus from the veggie stand. maris finns chips with beans and cheese are also amazing at 2am.

.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.