Electric Picnic 2008 (1 Viewer)

MBV were excellent. The whole weekend was excellent. I got sunburnt which wasn't cool. And there definitely needed to be more toilets. I got lots of drink in with me. For some reason they didnt search my backpack once. That was my first EP and it did not dissapoint :)

Spot on! The nanny state shit was uncalled for. And they were just stopping people bringing in their own booze so that you have to buy their stuff. Fuck that! What harm is bringing in one drink gonna do? I had fun at the gigs but that shit pisses me off, Its gettin like the point depot was before they closed it. Treated like Kids. Toilets were hellish

Wilco were great!
Hayseed Dixie were deadly!
Grinderman were deadly!
George Cinton rocked me gud!
I enjoyed the Sex Pistols too

I HAD A GREAT TIME, BUT:

Thought the nanny/police state was completely over the top. GArds Gards everywhere. Random searches of vans, tents, people. I would feel more at ease smoking a joint in front of Finglas Gard station on a saturday afternoon than I did doing the same at a "alternative" music and arts festival.

Also the searching people for cans coming into the place and then closing the bar at 10 was a disaster. As a drinker, wanting to see music, I shouldn't have to smuggle cans in in me jocks, nor should I have to make the hour journey back to my campsite to pick up a couple more, miss the bands I came to see and then hope they don't get my cans off me going into a "alternative" music festival that has stopped serving.

While I'm at it, thank god I can pee standing up. I spent half the weekend waiting in queues for the missus to have a piddle. They know how many people will be at the festival, why weren't there anywhere near enough toilets?

RANT RANT RANT.

I Had a great time though.

I left at half eight this morning to be in work at 13.30ish so now I plan on eating and sleeeping for the rest of the day. This was my third ep and I enjoyed it just as much as the others.

My highlights
Carbon / Silicone really enjoyed the gig and it seemed like the lads did as well.
Mojito breakfasts.
MBV.
Foals, I only knew one song but went along anyways and they were incredible much better then I expected.
Falafel with hummus.

Lowlights :-
Tindersticks only saw the last 15 mins but they seemed really bored as did the audience, sound was pretty shit too.
Traffic 2 hours to get from Dublin to Stradbally 2.5 hours to get from Stradbally to the Picnic.
Walk from the car to the campsite carrying 24 cans of Bavaria ruined me.
Missing Grinderman.
Mobile phone dying.

highlight: the dudes in the tent across from us playing the theme tunes to eastenders and the x files on a melodica in the charlie chaplin campsite last night.

Hurray for Jape, Dan Deacon, Sigur Ros and getting hot coffee with shots of brandy in Body & Soul area after 11:00 pm.

Hurray also for ace food, no aggro, smiley Breeders and legs (everywhere!)

Boo on missing MBV and the big burning fire due to leaving Sunday afternoon...

Didn't get to actually see Underworld. Heard them though. They sounded great. The rain would make an appearance at the most inappropriate moment of the weekend...

I was back at the tent at this point so thankfully didnt get soaked. Tried for ages to find Martina Topley Bird but noone could show me where she was playing. They kept saying you're in the Body and Soul area but I wanted the stage or tent or whatever it was. After an hour I gave up and headed back, was far to drunk to keep looking.

Grace Jones was incredible. Jaw-dropping, amazing shit. Fuck. I still cant believe it.

Santogold, The Congos, Joan as a Policewoman rocked my balls.

Diplo was dissapointing..

A-track & The Dodos ruined by really shitty sound. But maybe the Dodos are just really shit?...i dunno yet

Needs more space.

So much fun.

Didn't bump into as many of you as I did last year but it was nice to see the people I did meet.

Highlights for me:
Staying in Portlaoise on Thursday night and getting into the festival spirit early
Missing all the traffic on Friday
Faust - very entertaining
Spook (and those girls who dragged everyone up to dance)
Finding the lovely, clean, flush toilets - so worth the queue
Listening to lots of acts that I usually wouldn't have

Can't think of any bad points, pongy toilets are always to be expected.

Back as work. .soooo wrecked. Cheers for coming to the Spook gig, folks, was a big ask considering the MBV clash. T'was great craic alround. I'm amazed we were able to play considering how we were on the lash solidly for the weekend.

Highlights for me were:

GAMAK - double mask mic rockin'!
Jape - totaly deadly, the "put 'em under pressure" remix drove the crowd mental. Might have been the best thing at the entire festival
Large Mound - great to see moshing so early, well done dudes! Loved the banners
Somadrone - I'd only ever seen Neil solo, was well impressed with the band.
Crash Ensemble - that piece with Iarla O'Ionard is mind blowing stuff
Faust - there's just not enough chainsaws in music these days

Missed Christy, Sigor Ros and Wilco which was a waste.
Thought the Orb were dreadful, although the pissing rain didn't really help matters.

highlights:
MBV (obviously)
Juana Molina
Somadrome

loads of other great stuff but those 3 stood out.

Printed out a load of timetables and maps on thursday and left them in work so missed a load of stuff in the spoken word that i really wanted to see. There were quite a few disappointing clashes despite the fact that there was less quality shit than ever.
the traffic on friday was a bitch as was the rain sunday night but other than that a glorious weekend

that were top, that were. i think my dance style for mbv could be classified as "indie flailing".

musical highlights:
-faust
-silver apples
-mbv (oh yes)
-joan as policewoman
-the end of sigur ros (the beginning of the set was a bit dull, but it improved dramatically)
-rachel unthank and the winterset (especially for singing a folk song about having to go back to work after a weekend on the lash, including the poignant line "i wish the birds were made of booze")

musical lowlights:
-the breeders - maybe it was where i was, but it all sounded a bit thin and unengaging. i went off to see the faint, who were very stupid but entertaining.

non-musical highlights:
-making a really rather nice silver ring for meself (with fire! and hammers!) at a jewellery workshop in the craft field
-cider and sun in the walled garden
-the man beside my friend at faust suddenly turning to him during a particularly chainsawy moment and going "hang on, this isn't feist, is it?"
-lots of just fun hanging out with people
-the profusion of benches in the body and soul area on which to do same late at night (yes, i am old and like a nice sit down)
-pies
-eat fat pig
-nice ginger southern comfort cocktails
-weather mostly being really nice

non-musical lowlights:
-the little cockfarmers in the camper van next to us who blared unbelievably shite music until 9am on fri and 7am on sun (they seemed mysteriously quieter on sat), refused to turn it down/off ("but it's electric picnic! we're having a party!"), slammed the door of their van in my face when i raised objections to "i'm horny" at 7:30 am, and then had the temerity to try and borrow our ketchup. fvckers. we spent much of the weekend inventing plans of revenge. i think my favourite involved somehow getting mark e. smith into their van to give out to them.
-queues for the jacks - were there fewer toilets this year? also all order seemed to be breaking down in a few of the portaloo areas late on sat, i heard a near-punchup behind me over queue-jumping at one point.
-having to smuggle cans into the main area in order to avoid queuing for hours for overpriced heineken. bleah.
-the rain on sunday night

overall, though, a+++. we liked.

I HAD A GREAT TIME, BUT:

Thought the nanny/police state was completely over the top. GArds Gards everywhere. Random searches of vans, tents, people. I would feel more at ease smoking a joint in front of Finglas Gard station on a saturday afternoon than I did doing the same at a "alternative" music and arts festival.

Also the searching people for cans coming into the place and then closing the bar at 10 was a disaster. As a drinker, wanting to see music, I shouldn't have to smuggle cans in in me jocks, nor should I have to make the hour journey back to my campsite to pick up a couple more, miss the bands I came to see and then hope they don't get my cans off me going into a "alternative" music festival that has stopped serving.

While I'm at it, thank god I can pee standing up. I spent half the weekend waiting in queues for the missus to have a piddle. They know how many people will be at the festival, why weren't there anywhere near enough toilets?

RANT RANT RANT.

I Had a great time though.
100% in agreement with you here derek, it seems that year after year of going to this they are trying more and more to wipe the smiles off all our faces. it was good fun, but hard work. don't think i'll bother me hole going any more, for 240 euro i got to see feic all acts, mainly due to ferrying cans in and out of the car park/campsite/trouser legs!!!......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.