e-bay are evil (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by sparse
or not as the case maybe.

Has anyone ever used it and/or what do yis think of it?
how does it work, payment ya da ya da?

that is all

A mate of mate swears by it. He got a space echoe deck and a vocoder off it, and both work grand!

Used it for the first time there lately. No probs, worked fine. And where the hell else am I gonna get Drill Your Own Hole by Gaye Bykers On Acid on video??

I used it (ebay.de actually) once to buy a banjo. It arrived pretty quickly and was well packaged, in good nick, etc, but I guess it depends on the seller. The best thing to do is check a sellers feedback/rating, and if he's sold loads of stuff before and got nothing but good comments, then you should be fine. One popular method of paying is by using paypal, a company that you make a payment to and then they send that payment on to the seller (for a small fee). I think it's used so that the buyer doesnt give dodgy credit card details. If you do want to use paypal, set it up a while before you start bidding, as it takes a few days for your paypal account to start working. Also, like any auction, it's probably worth deciding in advance the max you're willing to pay for any item, as it's easy to get carried away with bidding way too much in the last few seconds. There's an option called proxy bidding which allows you to specify the max you'll pay. Ebay then bids $1 dollar more than the highest bid until you are the highest bidder. That way you will win the auction (unless of course someone else has a higher proxy bid max than you) while only paying one dollar more than the nearest other bid... It might also be worth checking out the .co.uk, .de, etc sites as they often have different stuff to the .com one

Be sure to ask lots of questions.
Photos can be misleading as regards size, etc. (e.g. many of the 'authentic' african drums on sale on e-bay are actually miniatures). Make sure you know exactly how much shipping will cost, and subtract that from the maximum amount you can spend to find your maximum bid. And don't forget to work out the Euro price of everything - a lot of stuff is listed in dollars and pounds sterling.

Generally it's pretty good, but it's very much buyer beware.

I've used Ebay a couple of times for sold out concert tix... never bid in an auction mind... the Buy-it-now option always seems to display a reasonable price, and it's also a guarantee of getting the tickets... paypal gives me the heebeegeebees so I opted to send the seller a check, not a problem

A friend of mine just bought a powerbook from ebay at a really great price
[e 1100]
He was worried about handing over so much money to an unknown person but as figs mentioned, he checked the guy's selling history and everything was cool. He sent him a cheque and the Powerbook arrived about ten days later in perfect condition.
Wahoo.

Actually, I've never heard a horror story about anyone buying from ebay so I reckon it's probably pretty cool.

d.

I use it on a regular basis and have done for the last couple of years, mostly for buying records, it's always been very good, the only time i've had a problem was with an auction i won and the seller just wouldn't reply to my e-mails, obviously he was expecting the record to go for more than $5.
My advice would be to try to get everything from the uk as far too many times i've paid considerably more in shipping from the US than the final auction price.
Also make sure you read the auction details and payment details properly because some people won't ship overseas or will only accept one kind of payment.
This week i have mostly been buying the "Big Trouble in Little China" soundtrack on 12" and an inexpensive box of nice soul 7"'s

I`ve used it a good few times over the last few years.
I think its great for getting records your really after, hard to get and rare stuff.
Just got a great Heroin cd yesterday off it - cheap from the states!
Only thing is - Watch the shipping prices, some guys try and rip you off on that big time, and don`t get carried away on the bidding wars for some items.
Other times i`ve got some records, but had to wait two friggin months for arrival....but some are really fast.
Check the sellers feedback history, and ìt`ll give you an idea on how reliable they are.
I`m tryin get some Galaxie 500 lp`s at the moment but no luck...so if anyone has some they`re trying to get rid of..send em my way.

Originally posted by Rimbaud

I`m tryin get some Galaxie 500 lp`s at the moment but no luck...so if anyone has some they`re trying to get rid of..send em my way.

"On Fire" vinyl was in Final Vinyl, Camden St last Sunday
New arrivals section. Think it was €19.95. Already have it on both formats so didn't buy it.

I bought a theremin on e-bay

A lot of stuff is being sold by people in the US, and they won't ship to anywhere else. Luckily, I was going to the States at the time so I got them to send it to my uncle there, and then I picked it up.

I think e-bay is just fine

well I dunno actually

it's not really a proper one like your one

it's so small it just sounds like a whistling kettle in the next room

And I know what you're going to say - that, like, oh, a Christmas tree, say, it's not how big it is but where you stick it that counts, right? - so maybe it'll make an appearance soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back